Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Don't try the Macan...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think measuring the Macan to the regular Q5 is fair.
If you're going to compare the Porsche, it has to be the SQ5.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
I don't think measuring the Macan to the regular Q5 is fair.
If you're going to compare the Porsche, it has to be the SQ5.
In terms of performance, sure. But all the other aspects I mentioned still apply, even if it's just a regular Q5.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All prices MSRP. If you load a Q5 3.0 TFSI with almost everything, it's about $58K. An SQ5, fully loaded is about $68K. And a Macan S with what I could figure is close(st) to parity with that loaded SQ5 is around $77K. (I would have a hard time not getting PTV, PASM and pretty much all of the performance options at that point... and I'd get rid of those hideous black body fin panels on the Macan)

So, big round numbers, probably $20K more for the Macan vs the Q5, $10K more vs. the SQ5. The 3.0 TDI merits consideration too, imo.

Net is they're all excellent and pricey cars. It's all about how much incremental enjoyment you get out of each click of the dial. I guarantee if I was test driving the SQ5 and the Macan S right now, I would be considering the extra $... because it's already a shedton for a CUV in the first place, so what's a bit more bleeding!

You can get the Audi's for <= invoice + $1000 walking in off the street. I think you're right to assume you won't do as well on the Macan due to latent demand.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stop by my local Porsche dealership and ask to show me Macan.
They have one white, special order - some one back out, but when I walk back to my car - I saw next owner walking to the car with smile on his wife face.

Car is beautiful - inside and out. Sound of exost pipes - music!
Attention to detail - MAXIMUM and more.
Attached Images      
Old 08-03-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Few more pics
Attached Images      
Old 08-03-2014, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Starting planning my ED.
Does erectile disfunction require planning?
Old 08-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

IMO the Macan is too compromised to consider anything but the turbo. The lack of rear storage and the sloping rear roof line would only be worth it with the performance of the Turbo. I expect the S will be a touch slower than the SQ5 in a straight line while the Turbo should be quite a bit faster - 12.8s/9s perhaps. Now a well optioned Macan Turbo is well out of my price range and at that price point it becomes hard to not consider options like the s6 or s7. Or save $30k and get into a likely nearly as quick and much larger Jeep SRT.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dave DC
Or save $30k and get into a likely nearly as quick and much larger Jeep SRT.
Don't be fooled...the Jeep SRT has some impressive numbers, but is actually disappointing to drive. For me, it was the closest competitor to the SQ5. As much as I could have used the extra space, I was disappointed it wasn't more fun for that price. As for the fun factor, I ordered my SQ5 immediately after the test drive. It wasn't an impulse buy as I had already driven everything else I was considering. When I drove the SQ5...whoa! I happen to glance in the rear-view mirror and that guy had a big $h!t-eating grin on his face. SOLD!!!

Last edited by SQive; 08-03-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't be fooled...the Jeep SRT has some impressive numbers, but is actually disappointing to drive. For me, it was the closest competitor to the SQ5. As much as I could have used the extra space, I was disappointed it wasn't more fun for that price. As for the fun factor, I ordered my SQ5 immediately after the test drive. It wasn't an impulse buy as I had already driven everything else I was considering. When I drove the SQ5...whoa! I happen to glance in the rear-view mirror and that guy had a big $h!t-eating grin on his face. SOLD!!!
Eh- I disagree. I had a 2006 SRT which was a beast but very raw and have had my sights set on a lightly used '14 since it was first leaked theyd get an 8 speed. The 2014 is in my opinion a very refined vehicle (i wouldnt say that of the 12 and 13) - and a fun one- though the SQ5 certainly feels more nimble to me. I live in more or less downtown DC so a vehicle the size of the SQ5 makes more sense - but the biggest reason I didnt go SRT was because theyre effectively $70k new now which is just insane and out of my comfort zone and fairly insulting to those of us who owned the 1st gen - which was actually quicker than its competition while starting around 40. But if I were looking at an optioned macan turbo for $90+k, I think the SRT would be preeeetty compelling.

What you say about the SQ5 definitely rings true to me though, its got that x factor when you drive it. Just a fun machine - surprisingly so. Lots of personality. I believe it was motortrend who absolutley fawned over it during their SUV of the year comparo.

Last edited by Dave DC; 08-03-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Does erectile disfunction require planning?
Simple answer: No

Quick Reply: Don't try the Macan...