Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Don't waste your money and don't buy the navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad there is the choice. Personally I prefer the integrated look and features of the nav/MMI, but I can see for those who don't want it the choice not to get it is good.

We bought our car off the lot. The car had the color, equipment etc. that we wanted and probably would have continued shopping around if hadn't had the nav.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
We ordered without nav too. I couldn't see paying $3K for a package when our iPhone can do the same thing for $0K.
Not to mention a host of options like Garmin that can provide something similar (although not as integrated).
Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The best approach would be smart phone integration with MMI. I doubt very much however that Audi would let it happen, since not being able to charge $3000 for a mediocre system would mean lower profits.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:09 AM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackAce
Exactly why we ordered ours without nav. Most nav systems I've seen fall victim to this same thing.

But wait, there's more! Only the dealer can install the update in many of these instances...
+1, we had to order our SQ5 also as I refuse to pay for an out dated nav system that costs 3500. My iPhone can do all of it much better.

On a positive side, our car should be here any day now.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing's perfect. I like the integration of NAV in the car, but it's waaaaaaaaay overpriced. I don't see it changing any time soon, it must be quite a cash cow for Audi.

Just the other day my iPhone directed me down a limited-access freeway because the business address was next to that road. No exit anywhere near it! Stoopid.

My motorcycle Garmin constantly routes me to gravel roads when it's specifically programmed to avoid non-paved roads. Dumb.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Corvette came with 2-3 years of free updates. I got a new disc each year with the option to buy more after free ones ended. It wasn't the greatest NAV system, but at least they did provide that. The NAV would also post the turn information on the HUD, which was pretty cool.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good that we have a choice, some don't want to spend the money. I like the nav/MMI with the turn info in the instrument cluster. I find it much better than any I've used previously.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used mine this weekend for a trip to Clinton, MO and back. Flawless as usual. I've become very trusting of "Silicone Sally" and her directions....but keep an atlas in one of the seatback pockets just in case. Audi should give us free updates as they become available or at least perform the downloads during the regular scheduled maintenance.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Used mine this weekend for a trip to Clinton, MO and back. Flawless as usual. I've become very trusting of "Silicone Sally" and her directions....but keep an atlas in one of the seatback pockets just in case. Audi should give us free updates as they become available or at least perform the downloads during the regular scheduled maintenance.
+1
Old 04-27-2014, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

For many of us, if you leave any nav system in the car full time, your car will be broken into and the gps stolen in short order. Then you've got tp buy another gps, and sweep out the broken glass, and waste a day getting the car fixed.

So almost all the carmakers rake you over the coals for a built-in nav system, because that's the only one that won't be a problem with broken glass and theft.

Fact of life, they do it because they can.

And, they're almost all rip-offs on the updates. Navteq supplies maps to a lot of people including Garmin and Google last time I looked. Garmin sells you lifetime updates, licensed from Navteq and everyone else, four times per year for $75 flat. Every automaker charges at least twice that much for one update, available once a year if you are lucky. They can use any excuse in the book, but there is no excuse, it is just a rip-off. Again, because they can and you have no other choice.

Except these days, $3500 will buy a fine tablet and a lot of cell phone data and you can stick it right on the dash with some Velcro. Your choice.

Quick Reply: Don't waste your money and don't buy the navigation system