Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Getting ready for DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by visionguru
Two obvervations:
** The dipstick seems pure plastic. I don't think it's a good idea to leave it in the car.
** The dipstick seems quite accurate. In MMI, the oil level is at MAX. On the dipstick, oil level is right at MAX.

(3) Oil extractor:
Any good tips on which model to choose?
1) Dipstick - I recently bought the same one...dealer inspected and confirmed it's okay to leave in the tube.
2) Dealer measured this dipstick against their set-point adjustable service dipstick. It's the same.
3) I use the Mityvac 7400 - It was great until about the 10th oil change (conventional oil on my other cars)....started leaking at the top handle. This is a common complaint. I know just put the whole thing in a 5-gallon bucket and place a large freezer bag over the handle to contain the spray).
Old 10-17-2016, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
The Audi attitude about technology, i.e. "We have a superior oil level computer monitor system, you do not need a dipstick" reminds me of something very different.
(G)
Definitely not superior - A recent post of mine when my oil level sensor went bad in my SQ on a long road trip. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-hand-2907769/

Didn't think I'd need to the dipstick so soon after only 14K miles on the odo. Will never go without it now.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd also vote for the MityVac. I had actually ordered a different brand online, which used a "ball" instead of the tall cylinder. I figured the ball was less likely to tip over, and easier to carry over to disposal. Except, the assembly was a bit Mickey Mouse, a critical part was missing, so back it went for the MityVac like I've used before. Which pulls a very robust vacuum and takes up less storage space.

I've heard the leak comment before but in years of using several of these, never had it leak. Maybe there is something about the seal that melts in some ingredient in some of the oils? Maybe MityVac would warranty the leaking part?

I do use it like I'm working with hazmat though. The plastic tubes like to whip around and throw oil whenever you remove/move them. So I handle with care, wipe with paper towels, wrap with more paper towels to store the whole thing in a heavyweight plastic trash bag that stays in the box, to make sure any mess is trapped in the paper towels and contained. Oil drain pans can make a mess too, just needs a little different handling.

Last edited by Redd; 10-17-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Maybe there is something about the seal that melts in some ingredient in some of the oils? Maybe MityVac would warranty the leaking part?

I do use it like I'm working with hazmat though. The plastic tubes like to whip around and throw oil whenever you remove/move them.
+1 on the tubes whipping around if you're not careful. Be especially careful if your extracting and need to leave the area - the connections may come loose and then you have a whole messo oil everywhere...but that's reallymore a function of how well the hose accesses the tube.

Regarding the leaking - I have heard, though can't recall at the moment, that certain oil types can cause the containment failure. Have also heard that Mityvac, if contacted directly, have been good about replacing parts.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have an air compressor there are a few options out there for air powered extractors. Personally I like to drain it out the bottom. Gives you a chance to check out whats going on under the skid plate. Also I have to pull the skid plate to change the filter on both my Audi's anyway.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the tips.
Here are the rest:
(3) Mityvac 7201:

I haven't opened it yet. But from the box, it's quite big than expected.

(4) 36mm oil filter socket

Cost so far
(1) oil filter: ~$16 online
(2) Dipstick: ~$25 online
(3) Mityvac 7201: ~$95 online
(4) 36mm socket: ~$8 Pepboys
Total: $144

Ready for action? Anything else? (I do have other regular tools)
Old 10-21-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by visionguru
Thanks for all the tips.
Here are the rest:
(3) Mityvac 7201:

I haven't opened it yet. But from the box, it's quite big than expected.

(4) 36mm oil filter socket

Cost so far
(1) oil filter: ~$16 online
(2) Dipstick: ~$25 online
(3) Mityvac 7201: ~$95 online
(4) 36mm socket: ~$8 Pepboys
Total: $144

Ready for action? Anything else? (I do have other regular tools)
Just a torque wrench, if you don't already have one, for tightening the filter housing cap (25Nm) so you don't crack the high tech plastic. Also, loosen the filter cap before you start extracting. There is a check valve type assembly in the bottom of the filter housing that prevents the oil from draining out when the cap is seated.