Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help...Battery trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I'll post after I try it. Since someone else tried it unsuccessfully my effort may not be any better.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:37 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I've used a battery tender plus and it works fine. It takes some time to get to solid green sometimes overnight.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. If the BT works in your car it should also work in mine. I won't get in a hurry to try it.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
I've used a battery tender plus and it works fine. It takes some time to get to solid green sometimes overnight.
+1
I’ve been using the BT plus for several years on my M Roadster when I put her to bed for the winter. I just leave it connected for 3-4 months until the weather gets nice enough to take her out again. I put it on my 2016 Q5 3.0T last summer for a month or so when I was mainly using the Roadster and it worked fine, no lights flashing or relay sounds. It usually takes a couple of hours to go from solid red to red with flashing green (80% charge) on both cars. From there it does take quite a while to get to solid green, 100% - maintenance charge, usually overnight. The NOCO looks pretty cool, much newer design, features and higher tech. May have to try one when my BT craps out. Don't know about the BT junior the OP tried, might be too small for the Q battery?
Old 12-05-2016, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's good to know. I'm old and low tech but new to the Audi and a little intimidated by the complexity of high tech features. It makes me a little cautious about deciding to plug in a battery tender without being aware of something expensive I might damage.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Last time I spoke to the Battery Tender folks (3? years ago?) they said theirs was a "dumb" product that simply supplied constant voltage, IIRC. Not at all like the NOCO chargers which supposedly are more sophisticated than a 3-stage (bulk, absorb, float) charger. I have a NOCO baby-sitting a deep cycle battery, and it does take a week (by design) before it will go into full float/trickle mode.

The only real way to tell what is going on, is with a calibrated or "known good" digital voltmeter. The freebies from Horror Fright are horribly inaccurate. The Flukes are almost always calibrated but well over $100. Somewhere in between...there are ways to come close, because a fully charged battery may be 12.7 volts, and each 1/10th of a volt is also 10% of the charge status.

FWIW you can also gain better battery access by running a suitable duplex wire from the battery terminals (after you lift all the covers), up the passenger side of the spare tire compartment, and then simply up and out behind the rear seat. That way you can install a direct battery lead, using NOCO's extra cables/plug for that purpose, or your own choice.

This is all ignoring the car's power monitoring systems, which can be a complex issue and since the Q5's "alternator" output seems to range from 14.4 to 12.6 during any kind of daily operation...lord only knows what they are really doing. I rashly assume that trickle charging directly at the battery won't confuse the car too badly, and will keep the battery happy.

Just remember, anytime you measure voltage someplace that is not AT the battery...it is subject to circuit losses. Even those $10 ciggy lighter meters are convenient, but not necessarily accurate.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
I hooked up my Noco g7200 to the terminals under the hood on many occasions. Never had any issues. yes, initially it'll only show 50%, but within a few minutes it jumps up higher.

Took the little battery tender back for a refund and decided to try my Noco genius again. used the cold AGM SETTING AND hooked it up with positive first then negative then plugged it in. lol and behold no flashing lights or relay sounds! Don't ask me!

Just as you say, it took a couple of minutes to go over 50%. Then it hit 75 % after about 20 minutes the moved on to flashing green of 100%. I am waiting to see if it automatically goes into maintence mode.

But looks good so far. How long does yours take to get there?

Just curious.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
How long does yours take to get there?
I don't recall as it was a while ago and I wasn't watching it. I'm guessing a couple of hours. It would naturally depend on how depleted your battery was to begin with.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Last time I spoke to the Battery Tender folks (3? years ago?) they said theirs was a "dumb" product that simply supplied constant voltage, IIRC. Not at all like the NOCO chargers which supposedly are more sophisticated than a 3-stage (bulk, absorb, float) charger. I have a NOCO baby-sitting a deep cycle battery, and it does take a week (by design) before it will go into full float/trickle mode.

The only real way to tell what is going on, is with a calibrated or "known good" digital voltmeter. The freebies from Horror Fright are horribly inaccurate. The Flukes are almost always calibrated but well over $100. Somewhere in between...there are ways to come close, because a fully charged battery may be 12.7 volts, and each 1/10th of a volt is also 10% of the charge status.

FWIW you can also gain better battery access by running a suitable duplex wire from the battery terminals (after you lift all the covers), up the passenger side of the spare tire compartment, and then simply up and out behind the rear seat. That way you can install a direct battery lead, using NOCO's extra cables/plug for that purpose, or your own choice.

This is all ignoring the car's power monitoring systems, which can be a complex issue and since the Q5's "alternator" output seems to range from 14.4 to 12.6 during any kind of daily operation...lord only knows what they are really doing. I rashly assume that trickle charging directly at the battery won't confuse the car too badly, and will keep the battery happy.

Just remember, anytime you measure voltage someplace that is not AT the battery...it is subject to circuit losses. Even those $10 ciggy lighter meters are convenient, but not necessarily accurate.
I think you received bad information. Here's a review I just found online:

Deltran Battery Tender Plus Review - An Easy To Use Battery Charger - Battery Charger Reviews

Battery Tender Plus which I own senses battery condition and adjusts output accordingly. I believe it uses four stages.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HBarlow
I think you received bad information. Here's a review I just found online:

Deltran Battery Tender Plus Review - An Easy To Use Battery Charger - Battery Charger Reviews

Battery Tender Plus which I own senses battery condition and adjusts output accordingly. I believe it uses four stages.
I believe you are correct Sir. It's a 4 stage. I've had mine since 2007 w/ no issues. Still might check into the NOCO.

From the BT website:

BATTERY TENDER® PLUS
PN: 021-0128

NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA OR OREGON
The Battery Tender® Plus is a 1.25 amp battery charger designed to fully charge a battery and maintain it at proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickle chargers. Included is a quick connect ring terminal harness for hard to reach areas and alligator clips for an alternate connection.

• Temperature compensated to ensure optimum charge voltage according to ambient temperature.
• Automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode.
• Reverse Polarity Protection to ensure user safety. Red & Green Lights Alternately Flash in this condition.
• Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode).
• Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell).
• 10 year Warranty!