Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Major maintenance service (35K)- any issue for leased car if I go to non-dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major maintenance service (35K)- any issue for leased car if I go to non-dealer

I have Googled and searched this forum, but the price for 35K service is from 4 years ago ($350 - $467), so I assume the price has gone up since then.

I have been calling around the dealers in Northern CA and I was quoted $700 - $849 for 25K service. The best I can get is 10% off, but it's still pricey.

I am planning to go to non-dealer that does Audi work, but I have a leased Q5 and there's an agreement I have to sign that said I have to perform all the scheduled maintenance service.

When it's time for me to return the car, they can see from the car history that there are "gaps" where there will be no record on when I do the maintenance. I.e. 5K service record on Audi system, but then none for 15K, 25K, 35K, etc.

I can show paperwork from the non-dealer service center, but will Audi ding me for not having the service done in "authorized" dealer?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by striders
but I have a leased Q5 and there's an agreement I have to sign that said I have to perform all the scheduled maintenance service.
Does it say that it has to be performed by Audi dealer?

Probably not, as that would be a violation of some federal law.

Just as long as all the work has been done, and you have paperwork to prove it, you're fine. However, if the indy shop skipped some steps and did not perform every single step/item on the list, the dealer could make it difficult for you.

Also, for about $800-900 you can buy the whole Audi Care package, which takes care of all scheduled maintenance all the way up to 50K miles. So, paying this much for only the 35K service alone sounds ridiculous.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 09-04-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Does it say that it has to be performed by Audi dealer?

Probably not, as that would be a violation of some federal law.

Just as long as all the work has been done, and you have paperwork to prove it, you're fine. However, if the indy shop skipped some steps and did not perform every single step/item on the list, the dealer could make it difficult for you.
It does not specify that it has to be performed by the Audi dealer.

You're right though if the indy shop skipped the test. Maybe I could print out the Audi Maintenance scheduled (here). I think the next time I am leasing, I will opt for Audi Care to be included. The price for the service here are:

25K: $350
35K: $849

If you don't mind me asking: how much is Q5 major maintenance service in your area?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy Audi Care at any time, including right now, if it makes financial sense to you.

No idea on service prices in my area. We are only at 6K miles right now. I will purchase Audi Care before the first paid service, which will be at 15K miles.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by striders
It does not specify that it has to be performed by the Audi dealer.

You're right though if the indy shop skipped the test. Maybe I could print out the Audi Maintenance scheduled (here). I think the next time I am leasing, I will opt for Audi Care to be included. The price for the service here are:

25K: $350
35K: $849

If you don't mind me asking: how much is Q5 major maintenance service in your area?
We paid for Audi Care when we purchased our Q5, so I couldn't tell you how much each service interval cost at our service department. Highly recommend pre-paid Audi Care. You are good from now until the 45k service. $849 for the 35k service sounds really high. I can tell you though that I just paid for the 55k service and it was just under $400. And they threw in new wiper blades for free. IMHO, new blades if needed should be free of charge anyways at 55k! It's part of the service checklist.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Buckwheat2088
We paid for Audi Care when we purchased our Q5, so I couldn't tell you how much each service interval cost at our service department. Highly recommend pre-paid Audi Care. You are good from now until the 45k service. $849 for the 35k service sounds really high. I can tell you though that I just paid for the 55k service and it was just under $400. And they threw in new wiper blades for free. IMHO, new blades if needed should be free of charge anyways at 55k! It's part of the service checklist.
I think the high price is because they're in NorCal, given everything is so expensive here. None of the dealers here I call quoted anything below $700 for 35K.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh my. That almost the cost of Audi care for 45k.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The price quoted is a rip off.

Find a good VW/Audi shop(s) and get some quotes. Also do what you can yourself, such as filters and wiper blades. Most filters don't need replacement on schedule except the fuel filter on TDIs. Unless you drive in the desert. Check the air filter for funk and discoloration.

The best blade atm imo is Trico Force. Nothing sold off the shelf fits a Q5, but if you contact them they'll send you an adapter. Stock blades stink, but no third party rear ones are available atm that I have found. Bosch Web site lists some that work (front and rear) but they don't.

Some dealers also have coupons online. One in Ohio has 50% off a first oil change and a fifth one free. A good deal for an oil change when the regular price is $120.

Not a fan of Audicare as it's only useful if you're overpaying in the first place. But I suppose if you're super busy and don't have time for (or don't want to be bothered with) shopping around, Audicare is an option.

Oil change prices vary wildly. One fool quoted me $65... clearly he didn't understand that my TDI took a special oil (507 only) and filter. Scary shop, which is why you have to stick with Audi/VW centric shops. Another quoted $200. Reputable ones quoted me $115-125 including Adblue top-off.

Spent many years in California (and all over, putting over a million miles on cars). Will never go back except to pass through an airport. Too many downsides. The government has screwed that place up good in every way possible.

Last edited by Deckardk; 09-05-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The government has screwed that place up good in every way possible."

A burgeoning economy (especially tech and biotech)?
A cleaner environment?
Terrific geography from scenic beaches to lovely forests to glaciated mountains?
The nation's primary source of agricultural products?
Including the country's finest wines?

I could go on and on but as an Oregon native, I love living here (20 miles south of one of the world's most beautiful and famous cities, San Francisco).
Old 09-05-2015, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rose colored glasses?

California state government is in debt to the tune of $778 billion, not to mention close to another $100 billion in city debts. This is a success??

San Francisco used to be a nice place 25 years ago, but now it's full of random homeless people that defecate in public.

Used to be a beautiful state before it became crowded with illegal aliens that throw trash everywhere. I challenge you to find a dirtier state... trash strewn all over the place, lining the freeways. All of the freeways. It's embarrassing.

And I also love hearing Mexicans speak Spanish at 80 decibels to someone standing right next to them in public. You like that too??

The so-called drought has been self inflicted, with the thoughtful environmentalists you're so fond of blocking any meaningful water management systems for over 40 years. There's plenty of water from the Sierras despite the lack of rainfall, yet lawns are brown and groundwater systems are shrinking due to over-pumping.

As Californians Pump Groundwater, Land Sinks and Aquifers Shrink - NBC News

And these are just the highlights. Talk to me after the $trillion debt bill comes due. That dose of reality will be pure comedy.

These are the facts. Smart Californians are leaving in droves.

Sorry to get off topic readers, but the door was opened so a response is irresistible.

Quick Reply: Major maintenance service (35K)- any issue for leased car if I go to non-dealer