Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My 6 month SQ5 review

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say the car's wandering has improved with time -- is it possible swapping the Michelins for the Pirellis did this? You might also consider a professional alignment if you haven't done so. I would go to a place like group 2 rather than to the dealer for this type of service. OTOH, if you're tracking the car, you've probably invested in an alignment.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Good Job

Good job of reviewing your SQ5 after 6 mos. I never was even aware of the concept of steering feedback until I got a 325i. Actually there was much I didn't know until I owned that car but that's a different forum...I like...and dislike the steering in my SQ5. It is very smooth and responsive, but ad you know, feedback is non existent. I'm not so sure that matters so much on this car though, since I'm getting into the "golden years" and not hanging onto the road with just the front tires so much anymore and actually, the quatro IS something I actually feel when I get the urge to check the hold of these Pirelli P-Zeros. So I consider it a kind of
good trade off.
The only mod I'm really considering is the addition of a small subwoofer. I think that would really open that stereo up....Which, btw, is one of the best factory stereos I've ever heard.
Thanks again for the grest review andbest of luck with your SQ5

Last edited by USAVAGEU; 05-27-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dmicah
You say the car's wandering has improved with time -- is it possible swapping the Michelins for the Pirellis did this? You might also consider a professional alignment if you haven't done so. I would go to a place like group 2 rather than to the dealer for this type of service. OTOH, if you're tracking the car, you've probably invested in an alignment.
I have thought maybe the tires caused the improvement but I have also read so much about B8 S4 doing the same thing. I have considered an alignment but it was an issue present since day one and I would hope it wouldn't need an alignment off the showroom floor. BTW, no tracking for this one - it's just too big and heavy.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent write-up and discussion. My goal/objective in getting the SQ5 was virtually identical to yours. I suspect we are the target market for this car. I also agree with your assessment and I really do hate when people on the other line say that I am hard to hear! One would think that Audi would have BT phone technology nailed by now.

One counter to your point re: windshield wipers - this is the first car I have had in a while where I was able to turn the rain sensors on and off. I sorely missed the true intermittent wipers in some of my other cars (F10 5-series, 997.2, 958) and welcome the ability to ditch the rain sensors.

Re: RPMs - I do wish that it revved a little higher - seems that as soon as we get some good pull going, the car shifts.

I added a small, thin powered sub to the car (it resides in the lower trunk compartment) and it makes a world of difference for not a lot of money. I figured that the B&O system wouldn't be as good as those in the A6/A7 (or my F10 5-series) as the upgrade cost wasn't as pricey as in the other models. However, it would have cost them very little extra to put in a bit more punch in that subwoofer.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default subwoofer improvement in q5

I see a few of you have the same concerns as I did with the B&O. I love the sound of B&O system, and think it's a decent value relative to many Audi options, but it was def too thin sounding. It needs some power at the low/mid end to fill in the wonderful clarity and soundstage it provides.

I'm very happy with the setup I added. You can see it on this thread if interested...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2865431
Old 05-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
I have thought maybe the tires caused the improvement but I have also read so much about B8 S4 doing the same thing. I have considered an alignment but it was an issue present since day one and I would hope it wouldn't need an alignment off the showroom floor. BTW, no tracking for this one - it's just too big and heavy.
I think an alignment could really help. A little more toe in, maybe.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

great writeup!

i noticed the loose wandering feeling when driving on the freeway also. i changed my steering to Dynamic, which helped a little.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

For the steering feel, disable the DSR, it helps a lot.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
For the steering feel, disable the DSR, it helps a lot.
That's on my list for sure. I don't have VAGCOM nor a laptop so I'm still sorting out where to get some access.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay...what is DSR?

Quick Reply: My 6 month SQ5 review