Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

NYT article on VW dealer settlement. No 2016 or 2017 TDI's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default NYT article on VW dealer settlement. No 2016 or 2017 TDI's?

See: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2016/...html?src=busln

The article is captioned about VW and settlement with dealers, in advance of the 10/18 court date. But one of the subjects mentioned are future TDI sales:
"The court documents say Volkswagen won't sell any U.S. diesel vehicles for the 2016 and 2017 model years. The company, which has been barred from selling all diesel vehicles in the United States since late 2015, said earlier this month it is uncertain whether it will ever sell diesel vehicles in the United States again."
Not 100% clear if this reads on 3.0TDI, but of course VW had it in Touareg too. Also not mentioned are all the TDI's stuck in inventory, including a bunch of 2016's that were never released.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think VW will bother trying to certify the 2016 models. I'm hoping that they get their act together by MY18 and get some diesels back on the market. I bought my Q5 simply as a stopgap between selling my Passat TDI back and getting something new in a couple of years. I've only had the Q5 for a couple of weeks, but I miss my TDI mileage already
Old 10-04-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atc98092
I don't think VW will bother trying to certify the 2016 models. I'm hoping that they get their act together by MY18 and get some diesels back on the market. I bought my Q5 simply as a stopgap between selling my Passat TDI back and getting something new in a couple of years. I've only had the Q5 for a couple of weeks, but I miss my TDI mileage already
Your Fuelly says 17.2 mpg..I hope you get more than that!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
Your Fuelly says 17.2 mpg..I hope you get more than that!
That was the very first fillup I did. I don't think my dealer completely filled the tank. The MFD is showing around 23 MPG. Don't know if I need to tweak it with my VCDS cable like I did in the Passat. I'm getting the brakes replaced right now, but I should be filling up again this weekend. That should be a better estimate.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was the very first fillup I did. I don't think my dealer completely filled the tank. The MFD is showing around 23 MPG. Don't know if I need to tweak it with my VCDS cable like I did in the Passat. I'm getting the brakes replaced right now, but I should be filling up again this weekend. That should be a better estimate.
I tweeked mine with VCDS and got it on the money... I get about 26-27 around town with AC on in the Florida heat.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Don Keener
I tweeked mine with VCDS and got it on the money... I get about 26-27 around town with AC on in the Florida heat.
Pls clarify what you mean by "tweak it with VCDS cable" that improved your mileage. I am a lay person and would like to learn from you.
Thank you,
Old 10-05-2016, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

VCDS, formerly known as VAG-COM, is a cable and software package to connect to a VW Group car and modify internal settings. I have disabled the seat belt chime, and on my Passat i changed a slew of things.

There are generic cables to be found, but they seldom work as they should. Read more at Ross-Tech: Home.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigq5
Pls clarify what you mean by "tweak it with VCDS cable" that improved your mileage. I am a lay person and would like to learn from you.
Thank you,
To be clear, they are talking about modifying the fuel consumption calculated number in the display (MPG or l/100km) to match actual consumption you figure out from the pump and tripmeter and similar reading. Most displays read optimistic for this, as high as 10-15%. Audis are usually sub 10% and sometimes sub 5%. By tweaking it to build in a correction percentage, in tank over tank you can get it to a percent or so from my own experience over various Audi's. Easy to do once you track the data for a while and figure out an average error %.

They are not saying magically you can get more mileage with some software tweak.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Right. VCDS cannot modify any engine mappings. But it can change an incredible amount of things that the driver interacts with. Things like changing how many times the turn signal will flash when you tap the lever and adjust the MPG display to improve accuracy. In my Passat, when I turned the car off the radio turned off immediately. I changed the display to think it was in another country and now the radio stays on until the door opens. Yes, my Q5 does this already, but the VW didn't. Do a web search for VCDS tweaks and prepare to be amazed at what can be done.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming they have a fix, why wouldn't they apply it to the 2016s?

Quick Reply: NYT article on VW dealer settlement. No 2016 or 2017 TDI's?