Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

The OEM SQ5 transmission tune is crap

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My post is a little bit hyperbolic and tongue in cheek because I was riled up after driving lately and having the transmission just do stupid stupid things that didn't make sense. Overall I love the SQ5 but find to fully enjoy it I have be driving in manual mode. I give no ****s about gas mileage and expect that when in any auto mode when I'm increasing my accelerator input the car shouldn't GD upshift on me when I'm trying to get more juice out of it. It's f'ing absurd but whatever no car is perfect. I would however pay handsomely for a tune that would carry revs when I continue to increase the acclerator input.

This issue has soured me enough though that I would highly hesitate to buy another Audi if the transmission is this tuned for MPG and nothing else. And yes I did test drive before buying but just didn't get enough feel for the transmission logic. I've got 3 years and 30k miles under my belt with this car and probably 25k miles are in manual shifting mode.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Transfer
My post is a little bit hyperbolic and tongue in cheek...
Understood, but one question:

Why refuse to adapt your driving style a bit to what the car does, rather than spend your time frustrated that it doesn't do what you exactly what you want it to do at every moment?

It's as if you expect a supercharged 4000 lb. V6 SUV to work like a manual transmission car, or like your turbocharged 3400 lb. BMW - thatsjustnotgonnahappen.

Surf the torque, and revel in the supercharged throttle response - something that no turbo engine can hope to match. That 3.0T is an amazing motor!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T

Why refuse to adapt your driving style a bit to what the car does, rather than spend your time frustrated that it doesn't do what you exactly what you want it to do at every moment?

It's as if you expect a supercharged 4000 lb. V6 SUV to work like a manual transmission car, or like your turbocharged 3400 lb. BMW - thatsjustnotgonnahappen.

Surf the torque, and revel in the supercharged throttle response - something that no turbo engine can hope to match. That 3.0T is an amazing motor!
I do have to agree. Every car I've owned has benefited from me learning/adapting how to get the most out of it (regardless of what the goal is...). This car is the oddest though in that I have, self-induced, 3 different personalities over its lifetime! I'm at ~55k now with the first ~20k being stock, 20-54k being APR Stage1, and the last 1k being Stage 2. I most definitely have adapted as I get more seat time at each. Even over the last couple days have found ways to get to the midrange in S as opposed to the All-in/All-out when I first installed the pulley and Stg2 tune.

One thing I continue to struggle with is using the paddle shifters. My tendency after decades of racing manual trans cars is to reach for the stick. Call me old school, but I'll eventually adapt to the paddles...maybe 4 more years
Old 12-08-2016, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well not sure I can adapt very well when the car does the opposite of what I would like. As I'm attempting to accelerate I swear it does its best to purposefully slow the car, typically by upshifting rapidly. When you borderline floor the gas, the transmission shouldn't rapidly upshift 2 gears to keep it <2500 rpms when the money is 3-5k. This engine is a beautiful thing and I want it to sing instead of stutter. I happen to like surfing torque but that isn't achieved below 3k.

I think I forgot to answer another question; my car is not tuned or modded.

I'm kind of surprised no one is agreeing with me that when you ask the car for more power and it says "nope, you get economy ahole" that maybe it's a bit annoying. Maybe my car is broken. Or maybe everyone secretly wants the SQprius.

Last edited by Transfer; 12-08-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

...As I'm attempting to accelerate I swear it does its best to purposefully slow the car, typically by upshifting rapidly...Maybe my car is broken...
Maybe it is. Test-drive another SQ5 to see if it acts the same.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe it is. Test-drive another SQ5 to see if it acts the same.
+1...my SQ5 doesn't act like that at all. When I push down hard, not mash it but give it some beans, there is beautiful buttery smooth fast acceleration. If you buy a 4000lb CUV then you just can't expect RS5 Coupe output...I suggest the OP adapt his driving or its going to be too much frustration for him. I also suggest that for his next car he test the transmission in different scenarios so the same mistake isn't made!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I never had the impression that the transmission should have not upshift.

In fact, in a particular situation, I experience the opposite ... When I turn at an intersection from rest, I like to give it a little more gas so I can feel the rear end squats/sticks/pushes/digs during the maneuver. However, in this situation the transmission enter in "race" mode and doesn't want to upshift after the maneuver.

Last edited by Yoshimura; 12-09-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
I never had the impression that the transmission should have not upshift.
Maybe it's from years of driving overpowered RWD, manual cars, but I think I have a strong tendency to soft pedal off the line and then start rolling on the throttle. With the auto ZF8, I've had to unlearn that in most situations otherwise it's going to jump to 2 then 3 even though I started increasing throttle right after the 1-->2 shift. It happens almost every time when driven like this, but it's pretty typical of auto trannys that I've driven
Old 12-09-2016, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got 3 years and 30k miles under my belt with this car and probably 25k miles are in manual shifting mode.
Maybe it's the reason you never learned how to exploit the transmission in automatic shifting mode?
Old 12-09-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Maybe it's from years of driving overpowered RWD, manual cars, but I think I have a strong tendency to soft pedal off the line and then start rolling on the throttle. With the auto ZF8, I've had to unlearn that in most situations otherwise it's going to jump to 2 then 3 even though I started increasing throttle right after the 1-->2 shift. It happens almost every time when driven like this, but it's pretty typical of auto trannys that I've driven
Dingdingdingding - "Transfer" - I think we may have a winnar!

If this is how you drive, don't - just don't. In other words, adapt!