Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 V6 Diesel Vs Gas Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 V6 Diesel Vs Gas Engine

Hello! Looking for some feedback on the diesel engine in the Q5 TDI. Enjoyed the test drive and the additional MPH the diesel engine provides. However, this would be my first car with a diesel engine and was wondering if there are other items to consider regarding the diesel vs the gas engine. Specifically, I'm wondering about the reliability of the engine, maintenance costs, and performance issues in colder weather. Any feedback on the diesel engine would be great. Hopefully, be a first time Audi owner in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swlab83
Hello! Looking for some feedback on the diesel engine in the Q5 TDI. Enjoyed the test drive and the additional MPH the diesel engine provides. However, this would be my first car with a diesel engine and was wondering if there are other items to consider regarding the diesel vs the gas engine. Specifically, I'm wondering about the reliability of the engine, maintenance costs, and performance issues in colder weather. Any feedback on the diesel engine would be great. Hopefully, be a first time Audi owner in the next couple of weeks.
I love my Q5 TDI. I have had my diesel for almost two years now and I have no issues with the engine or regrets about buying the TDI. The power is great and I am continually amazed with the fuel economy. I live in the SF Bay area so I do not have issues with the cold. Most of my driving is in congested areas/ traffic and I still average 27 MPG and close to 35 MPG if I am traveling on a freeway.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my TDI..... Incredible power, great fuel mileage and range. The only downside in my mind is the 'odd' sound of the engine when you are used to gas engines... and that is no big deal.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

45k miles on my Q5 TDI. No issues. Live in So Cal so no cold weather issues. Love the torque and the fuel savings. I avg 35 hwy, 25 city. I also shut off the start stop to help w long term reliability.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There's a video on YouTube of the Q5 and Q7 TDI models starting in the cold, just shows how far diesels have come since the '70s and '80s.

I freakin' LOVE the Q5 TDI -- in fact, I'd pick it over most six-figure cars even if I had an unlimited budget. Torque, fuel efficiency, and space, plus it's loads of fun to drive.

Feel free to browse around the AudiWorld forums for opinions from Q5 TDI owners...the enthusiasm is infectious. Can't wait to pick one up in January
Old 07-25-2015, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Have had no problems in the cold weather in my 2014 A6 TDI that has seen one Cleveland winter (we do go below 0 F) ....I parked in a detached, unheated garage; and, outside at work. There is an auxiliary heater that heats the interior within 2 minutes as the efficient diesel engine takes about 7 miles to warm up.....hope this helps
Old 07-25-2015, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TDI

If you live where it REALLY gets cold, you need to hear from someone who lives in that climate. You might get a few stories about gel'd fuel and a tow truck.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Ok guess I'll add my 2 cents worth.First my overall opinion of the 3.0L Tdi mirrors those expressed above.This is my third Audi,last one was B6 Avant 3.0L 6 speed.That car was a blast but this one takes it up a notch.It's a lot of fun having all the power and running more frugally than a lot of compact cars.
As to suitability of the diesel for a cold weather environment,I live in Quebec,out in the mountains and have experienced starts at - 25F.No problem at all.Only difference to gas engine is longer warm up,but supplemental heater does a good job of overcoming this characteristic.Never had an issue with "fuel gelling" .Always use quality diesel from busy stations and Canadian winter diesel is certainly modified to suit nasty conditions.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a great drivetrain. Fuel economy is obviously greater, but especially when the price of diesel fuel is lower than regular unleaded fuel. The gasoline engines Audi provides require the recommended super unleaded fuel.
Buy the AudiCare program. It will save you money on regular maintenance and is transferrable with the car to the next owner if you sell or trade.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can't see paying an additional $8k for TDI over gas. That's a lot of driving to make up the difference in car cost with difference in gas vs diesel pricing.

Quick Reply: Q5 V6 Diesel Vs Gas Engine