Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Brakes - terrible pedal feel and non-linear stopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Brakes - terrible pedal feel and non-linear stopping

I hate the brakes in our SQ5.

Long initial pedal travel and then the braking is non-linear. As the transmission downshifts there is a small lessen of deceleration and brake pedal feel.

The pedal does not feel right especially when coming to a stop. Not a lot of confidence doing something simple like parking. Down to 3-4 mph and the pedal does not feel firm to give feedback to stop in front of parking blocks and other cars.

This goes beyond performance of the actual brakes. On hard decal and hard stops its fine. Just the initial travel and what seems like different efforts needed for the same stop over and over.

Anyone else get the same feeling? I've considered there is still air in the lines from the factory since the car did this since new.

If you have ever driven a Hybrid that to me is how the brakes feel, unpredictable and non-linear.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:08 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I have not noticed anything like your symptoms. Have you brought it up with your dealer? Steve
Old 04-16-2015, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two factors that worsen SQ5 braking that I have noticed are suspension dive and transmission down shifting. I think the brakes are pretty good but the rest of the car makes them feel funky. They are especially good at high speed and panic maneuvers, given how overweight this car is.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eric_C
I hate the brakes in our SQ5.

Long initial pedal travel and then the braking is non-linear. As the transmission downshifts there is a small lessen of deceleration and brake pedal feel.

The pedal does not feel right especially when coming to a stop. Not a lot of confidence doing something simple like parking. Down to 3-4 mph and the pedal does not feel firm to give feedback to stop in front of parking blocks and other cars.

This goes beyond performance of the actual brakes. On hard decal and hard stops its fine. Just the initial travel and what seems like different efforts needed for the same stop over and over.

Anyone else get the same feeling? I've considered there is still air in the lines from the factory since the car did this since new.

If you have ever driven a Hybrid that to me is how the brakes feel, unpredictable and non-linear.

I have a Q5 TDI and a 2.0 The 2.0 was in the dealer for 3 weeks trying to resolve an excessive pedal travel. They replaced the entire front brake system and pads with no improvement. Finally after taking it back twice they reverse bled the brakes and found an "embolism" in the rear line, presumably from the factory. Although the feel is much improved I still feel both cars have excessive and nonlinear pedal travel.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So finally dropped it off at the dealer today.

Took it for a drive with the tech and of course got 'Its like all other SQ5's' which was followed with 'we don't get many SQ5's in here'.

They are going to flush the system but here is a better description of what happens.

Light pressure or possibly the first 15-20 percent of brake travel we get light brake application, linear with pedal position. Then you go from 20 percent to 70 percent of pedal travel and nothing happens.

Once you hit the bottom of the pedal you go from light braking to very hard braking at the end of the pedal.

Its difficult to stop smoothly and even something simple like parking is difficult because of all the pedal travel.

We will see tomorrow after they flush it but if the car is returned in this condition its not acceptable.

In the dry its OK but in the snow I can see this being a huge problem. I heard all the excuses in the book but I've driven hundreds of cars, both on track and off.

We will see tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not driven an Audi to date that has braking feel that feels "real"
They do stop and stop well but the pedal feel just doesn't feel right.

BMW does an excellent job with their brakes.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking forward to hearing your results. I agree with you completely.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
I have not driven an Audi to date that has braking feel that feels "real"
They do stop and stop well but the pedal feel just doesn't feel right.

BMW does an excellent job with their brakes.
This is not a brake feel issue as in preference or performance. It is at least 1.5" of dead pedal travel in the middle that does not equate to any increase in brake pressure.

It is a problem and a safety concern to me. I find it annoying but someone else will get themselves in an accident when braking performance is not consistent stop to stop.

On a second quick pump the pedal is rock solid.

My S4 has great brakes as far as pedal feel.

Originally Posted by lawnmore
Looking forward to hearing your results. I agree with you completely.
They told me it was a common complaint on 15's.

I have read that the calipers are the same on all '15s and its just a beauty plate to make them look like something else?

I drove a '14 SQ5 and it was not like this.

Snow will be the problem where you need more modulation to not lock up.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is an excellent description of the problem. Mine does this exactly as you described. Im not happy about it

Bleeding will not fix crap. Its in the programming

Let me know how it goes...I was about to make an appointment for mine

Originally Posted by Eric_C
So finally dropped it off at the dealer today.

Took it for a drive with the tech and of course got 'Its like all other SQ5's' which was followed with 'we don't get many SQ5's in here'.

They are going to flush the system but here is a better description of what happens.

Light pressure or possibly the first 15-20 percent of brake travel we get light brake application, linear with pedal position. Then you go from 20 percent to 70 percent of pedal travel and nothing happens.

Once you hit the bottom of the pedal you go from light braking to very hard braking at the end of the pedal.

Its difficult to stop smoothly and even something simple like parking is difficult because of all the pedal travel.

We will see tomorrow after they flush it but if the car is returned in this condition its not acceptable.

In the dry its OK but in the snow I can see this being a huge problem. I heard all the excuses in the book but I've driven hundreds of cars, both on track and off.

We will see tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CORS6
This is an excellent description of the problem. Mine does this exactly as you described. Im not happy about it

Bleeding will not fix crap. Its in the programming

Let me know how it goes...I was about to make an appointment for mine
Well there is no programming in the brakes except for ABS.

It is a purely mechanical system. There is nothing that can be done software wise to fix it.

To me it feels like a booster problem. They tune a lot of brake systems between the booster and master cylinder. I wonder if these parts changed from '14 to '15 or if the complaints are strictly for '15's?

If I don't get resolution from the dealer I'm going to talk to a few old co-workers who design brake systems.

No good brake engineer would drive that car and say its right, especially not for a 65K car.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Brakes - terrible pedal feel and non-linear stopping