Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

US Mobile SIM for Audi Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I called my local dealership about swapping the modem in my Q5, but they said that I'd have to pay for it myself. I don't have an Audi Connect plan, but if I sign up for one will they swap out the modem? We don't have T-Mobile service in my area so it always shows 2G on the screen. When I'm traveling it will change to 3G.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryT
I called my local dealership about swapping the modem in my Q5, but they said that I'd have to pay for it myself. I don't have an Audi Connect plan, but if I sign up for one will they swap out the modem? We don't have T-Mobile service in my area so it always shows 2G on the screen. When I'm traveling it will change to 3G.
Assuming you live in one of the T-Mo affected 3G change areas, you can sign up for one month of Audi Connect and after the modem update is done, change back to another provider's sim.

Last edited by snagitseven; 06-16-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi
Our Audi Connect plan has run out, and I'm mainly interested in getting traffic reports on the MMI. I bought a US Mobile SIM card, and I believe it's working because I see data transfer stats increasing on the MMI.

However, I don't see any traffic reports.

Do I have to renew my Audi Connect/T-Mobile account to get traffic reports, or is there some MMI setup detail I'm missing?
As Dennis reported, for your car it's Sirius that provides satellite traffic on the map with a separate traffic subscription, not Audi Connect. As to your Audi connect, are you getting AC services like Google Earth or online destinations? If not, and assuming you registered the sim card on US Mobile's website, you may have to change the APN setting in the tel>data connection settings to get it to work. You may be seeing the the sim communicating with the provider but are not connected to the internet.

US Mobile settings:
APN: pwg
User ID: blank space
PW: blank
Old 08-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what I gather from this thread is. You are using a different sim then from the Audi service. I inquired about there service and it is pretty expensive compared to other companies data plans
Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by joe kaminski
So what I gather from this thread is. You are using a different sim then from the Audi service. I inquired about there service and it is pretty expensive compared to other companies data plans
Yes, all you need is a US Mobile SIM. You buy it online from their website. When you receive in mail, activate your account. Many of us just need 100mb per month data for google searches. If you will use wifi then much more.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
If you will use wifi then much more.
Slightly OT, but given most cell plans now allow tethering (right?), at least if not unlimited, what advantage does a car hotspot have, especially 3G? If I want to let my daughter get wifi on her iPad (and I don't) I'd just let her tether to my phone - faster and within my existing data plan.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
Slightly OT, but given most cell plans now allow tethering (right?), at least if not unlimited, what advantage does a car hotspot have, especially 3G? If I want to let my daughter get wifi on her iPad (and I don't) I'd just let her tether to my phone - faster and within my existing data plan.
Not all cell plans have tethering. I don't have it with my ATT contract phone.

Can you tether multiple devices at the same time to the cell phone? The car hotspot handles up to six devices.

I don't use mine anyway, but it is useful to some.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Not all cell plans have tethering. I don't have it with my ATT contract phone.

Can you tether multiple devices at the same time to the cell phone? The car hotspot handles up to six devices.

I don't use mine anyway, but it is useful to some.
Yeah, maybe so.

I have AT&T and can tether. Not sure of the limit - maybe 5 devices?

I take the point, but it seems like it's really just some tablets and laptops at this point.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Got the US Mobile SIM, configured the MMI with the settings that snagitseven posted...

US Mobile settings:

Also did a reset on the MMI. It worked for about two days and now it no longer works. I called US Mobile, they say my account is activated with the data plan and that there should be no problem since it worked when I first set it up and used about 70 MB data. Signal strength is reported as "Very Good" when I check on the status screen so its not a coverage issue.

Tried resetting the MMI again with no luck. Tried turning the data module off and on again, still no luck. I reset the MMI back to factory settings and reconfigured the APN and still no luck. I don't think I am missing any settings anywhere.

Any ideas?
Old 11-27-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snakeranch
Wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Got the US Mobile SIM, configured the MMI with the settings that snagitseven posted...

US Mobile settings:

Also did a reset on the MMI. It worked for about two days and now it no longer works. I called US Mobile, they say my account is activated with the data plan and that there should be no problem since it worked when I first set it up and used about 70 MB data. Signal strength is reported as "Very Good" when I check on the status screen so its not a coverage issue.

Tried resetting the MMI again with no luck. Tried turning the data module off and on again, still no luck. I reset the MMI back to factory settings and reconfigured the APN and still no luck. I don't think I am missing any settings anywhere.

Any ideas?
Recently there have been problems with US Mobile and Audi Connect. I and others have been having very sporadic connections to the AC servers. Only Google Earth seems to work 100% of the time. Some have reported getting nothing even though it worked great for months.

Quick Reply: US Mobile SIM for Audi Connect?