Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

US Mobile SIM for Audi Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Recently there have been problems with US Mobile and Audi Connect. I and others have been having very sporadic connections to the AC servers. Only Google Earth seems to work 100% of the time. Some have reported getting nothing even though it worked great for months.
Ditto. I've had US Cellular and it's been crazy glitchy the past few months. I have to remove the SIM and re-enter the connect data every few days for the online destinations to work. Google Maps loads fine thou
Old 11-27-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

We were discussing this in another thread. Either US Mobile (not US Cellular) changed something a couple of months ago (they say no) or T-Mobile is doing something to throttle connectivity with US Mobile.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for your replies.

I just gave Google Maps a try and it worked just fine. Nothing else works though. I wonder if Audi Connect is blocking connections from carriers other than ATT?
Old 11-27-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snakeranch

I just gave Google Maps a try and it worked just fine. Nothing else works though. I wonder if Audi Connect is blocking connections from carriers other than ATT?
When you reset it via MMI it works for a day or so. It's sporadic for me
Old 11-27-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snakeranch

I suspect it's not blocking per se but somehow placing US Mobile at the back end of the Audi Connect data traffic queue. This would explain why it sometimes works. As to Google Earth, it must not be routed through the
AC servers and is direct from Google. At least that's my guess. Another US Mobile user in another thread ordered an AC sim and a plan and it worked fine which confirms the sporadic AC connectivity has to be related to US Mobile, T-Mo and Audi Connect.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Makes sense, if it works sporadically then it does sound like it would be putting the US Mobile at a low priority not completely blocking it.

I still have my AC SIM but the ATT plan is just not worth it for me. During the 6 month trial period I barely broke 500 MB of usage, most of it when I first got the car and was playing around with AC and Google Maps.

It's too bad this isn't working out so well, the 100 MB/mo for $4 on US Mobile was perfect for me. I didn't buy the car for the AC or Google maps, but it is a nice convience to have. Hopefully this will somehow get resolved sometime in the near future, though I won't hold my breath!
Old 12-07-2016, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

UPDATE: I stopped by the dealer today and popped in one of their AC T-Mo demo sims. It worked fine - fast and no failed connections. This would appear to confirm that US Mobile or Audi Connect/T-Mo are doing something to deprecate connections.

I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a year of the AC plan since I've been told that T-Mo will be doing the 3G band shift in March and an AC/T-Mo plan is required for the free modem update (for orig owners of pre-MY2014 models with T-Mo/Audi Connect)
Old 12-13-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Further update:
Just got my T-Mo sim card from Audi Connect and it works fine. ( did have to reboot the MMI to recognize the card). This further confirms that US Mobile is having issues with Audi Connect T-Mo. I signed up for a year for $199. They gave me a free month so it works out to $15.30 a month unlimited.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

When I first picked up my Q, I called to sign up for a year of AC. The woman on the phone told me I needed to upgrade my modem. That took a day or two to schedule but also gave me time to further research other data options. I first started with Truphone then discovered Freedompop. Truphone worked fine and was ridiculously inexpensive. But ya know what's better than ridiculously inexpensive? Free. Freedompop gives 200 Meg. Sure I can't send Google maps to my car but do you really ever need to?