Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Control Module ruined, Moisture/Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great, thanks. I've been talking with Audi via Twitter DMs (I DM'd them rather than blasting them publicly), and they asked for details, gave me a case number, and said they'll investigate and get back to me. I'll post with updates.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

If your dog peed in the back seat, you have other problems too. Can't believe they haven't addressed this problem after all these years.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Haha, yeah, I couldn't believe it! We were on our way to get her groomed, which happens at the vet, so I guess she was not thrilled to be there.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

I think I am going to pop off the back seat and make some kind of cover for mine to prevent this from happening if the back seat gets soaked.

I remember I had 1982 VW Rabbit diesel that started to overheat. at about 27,000 miles. I brought it to the dealer and the guy at the service desk said, yes, it is probably a head gasket, that happens all the time on these engines. So I paid the 500 bucks to have it fixed and then wrote to VW and told them the next time I would buy a Plymouth Horizon and save a thousand bucks, as I paid $1000 extra for a VW because I thought I was getting a better car and the dealer even told me there was an issue with the car. They wrote back to me and refunded my repair, less the cost of the head gasket, for some odd reason I had to pay for the part that was defective. The head gasket went again at 100.000 miles, but I gladly paid to have it fixed then.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Saunders
I joined the forum to bump this thread. I have a 2021 Q5, had it about three months. Last Friday my dog peed in the backseat (scared of going to the groomer, I guess), and it absolutely killed the car. Every warning light went off, I managed to limp to a parking spot, and the thing was stone cold dead. Dealer just got back to me and said that it is indeed the gateway control module. $1091 to replace and recode, though I'm of course going to fight to have Audi cover that cost.

So, if anyone's thinking about an NHTSA report, here is another data point for you.
@Matthew Saunders did you come to any resolution with Audi Twitter rep? Same thing just happened to me, 2021 Q5 with less than 500 miles on the clock, the smallest amount of liquid spilled from my son missing the cup holder in the seat divider. Next thing I know error messages and brake malfunction, very dangerous and of course the dealership does not want to be held responsible for anything
Old 04-19-2021, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I started this thread. I just added my social media links to my profile. Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn or Facebook. I am glad this scare is behind me, yet I am continually worried that it could happen again.
The following users liked this post:
Paris Lata (08-07-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Good Year Audi
@Matthew Saunders did you come to any resolution with Audi Twitter rep? Same thing just happened to me, 2021 Q5 with less than 500 miles on the clock, the smallest amount of liquid spilled from my son missing the cup holder in the seat divider. Next thing I know error messages and brake malfunction, very dangerous and of course the dealership does not want to be held responsible for anything
Hello, yes! I just found out today that Audi is covering the new control module and battery (which was blown out) as a "goodwill" gesture. After I DM'd them through Twitter, I exchanged some emails. They asked for a bunch of details about the car, what dealer it was at, the name of the dealer's service rep, what the repair quote was, and what I wanted them to do (pay for it, duh!). They also asked if I'd bought any Audi's in the past. This is a lease, but it's my third and my business's sixth, so that may have helped.

But holy crap, if it happened to you with a kid's drink, this is a real problem. Like, a recall worthy problem. We need to make sure Audi is paying close attention.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matthew Saunders:
partzguy (04-22-2021), RingMan1 (04-22-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2021 Q5 control module corrosion

Originally Posted by LYU
this is the first time I see the situation of 2018 Q5 gateway out of china.
thank you ,this is very helpful.
in china, the 2018 Q5 has 88 cm extra wheelbase than 2018 Q5 in usa, so leg wells for rear seat users are big enough.
but all the rear seats are fixed, can not be adjusted, very sad.
The same thing happened with my 2021 Q5. Dealer is blaming kids spilling water - outside influence - of which we have no recollection. However - regardless how can one be reasonably expected to rip seats out if water spills?
Old 06-18-2021, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q5 Water Spill Electrical Damage

My brand new 2021 Q5 1,200 miles went into complete electrical failure 2 days ago while I was driving. Very scary, everything started flashing and then the car came to a complete stand still. Couldn't even get in neutral to push off the road. Had it towed to dealer. Dealer says water spillage in rear seat. I have no idea how that happened as I'm single with a teenage son who drives his own car and I can count on my hand the number of times that someone rode in the back seat since I got the car a couple of months ago. Good news they are covering the cost for repair. I told them in was absolutely ridiculous that something so simple as spilling water near the cupholders in the rear of a FAMILY vehicle, could cause a complete electrical failure. SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE as the car came to a complete stop in the middle of the road... no warning. Thankfully there wasn't much traffic. This is my second Audi, and I am leasing this one, I told the I told the sales manager I want to return the vehicle as I don't feel same driving it. Spills happen and I'm not willing to risk it happening again.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for all the photos in this thread. As I have a young one on the way, I will be relocating the gateway as shown and I will also make some kind of shield that fits between the seat frame and the gateway so that water /drinks from above cannot touch the wires or plugs. This should be fun....

Quick Reply: Control Module ruined, Moisture/Corrosion