Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

'14 Q7 roof crossbars

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '14 Q7 roof crossbars

Recently acquired a 2014 Q7. Absolutely love everything about it (our third Audi in 10 years, but first Q). But I think I made a mistake by shelling out the $450 for the roof cross bars. What a POS system. My Yakima rack fits fine, but it's higher than on my previous ride, and noisy as hell at freeway speed. The plastic end caps fall off every time I pick them up (though not when mounted). We've given up using them and now put our skis in the back. Can't imagine trying my bike rack.

1. Anybody have a better after market alternative?
2. How does my beloved Audi justify charging the $450 for these wholly unacceptable accessories? (don't have to answer...I'm just spouting!)
Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Noise abatement

Originally Posted by slcbanker
Recently acquired a 2014 Q7. Absolutely love everything about it (our third Audi in 10 years, but first Q). But I think I made a mistake by shelling out the $450 for the roof cross bars. What a POS system. My Yakima rack fits fine, but it's higher than on my previous ride, and noisy as hell at freeway speed. The plastic end caps fall off every time I pick them up (though not when mounted). We've given up using them and now put our skis in the back. Can't imagine trying my bike rack.

2. How does my beloved Audi justify charging the $450 for these wholly unacceptable accessories? (don't have to answer...I'm just spouting!)
I had the same issue with the crossbars on my Q5 and found the answer in the Q5 forum. The noise issue is related to the smooth rubbery cover strip in the crossbar channel. By replacing it with the Thule model (http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...b43-_-arb43999) , it will reduce the wind noise tremendously.

I can't help you on the end caps, because the Q5 crossbars have a built-in keeper and while they can come loose, they don't fall off.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a '14 Q7 and was equally as unimpressed with the factory cross bar option. Finally went with the Thule Aeroblade cross bar and the Whispbar WB200 for my bikes. Great fit and finish and flawless integration. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Theseventh1
I have a '14 Q7 and was equally as unimpressed with the factory cross bar option. Finally went with the Thule Aeroblade cross bar and the Whispbar WB200 for my bikes. Great fit and finish and flawless integration. Good luck.
Thanks. Do the Thule bars mount to the standard brackets like the Audi bars?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. Do the Thule bars mount to the standard brackets like the Audi bars?
Yes, they're quite simple and straight forward. I can place cross bars and 2 bike racks in 10-15 minutes. I highly recommend them.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have factory bars and I think they are fine.

I am a little disappointed that you cannot alter the fixing location for longer loads - timber etc....
Old 04-07-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second this...best system for the Q7!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the Yakima Whispbar...they are super quiet.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iehung
I have the Yakima Whispbar...they are super quiet.
+1 for Whisbar. I found the following post on the A4 forum helpful, especially in covering up the holes on the underside.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2772463
Old 04-10-2014, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should absolutely return them. If your dealership is worth anything, they will take them back, esp considering your faithfulness to Audi. If they say no, email AOA customer service.

Quick Reply: '14 Q7 roof crossbars