Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2006 q7 white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 q7 white smoke

hi all my first post here as just brought car .well what it is is i just brought an q7 with 108000 miles on her and problem is it smokes a lot white smoke if i sit there for a few mins with engine running then drive off i get loads of white smoke i had a diagostnic check today and all was great no faults the guy reckons it could be seals in turbo letting oil into the exhaust anyone else had this problem many thanks rick
Old 05-26-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

White smoke means water. Blue smoke at start up is oil from bad valve seals. Blue smoke from a hot engine is worn rings.

White smoke at start up is usually condensation in the exhaust system. It could be a coolant leak. Check what you have after driving. It could be normal. If it continues, have a shop perform a compression check of the engine.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tenspeed
White smoke means water. Blue smoke at start up is oil from bad valve seals. Blue smoke from a hot engine is worn rings.

White smoke at start up is usually condensation in the exhaust system. It could be a coolant leak. Check what you have after driving. It could be normal. If it continues, have a shop perform a compression check of the engine.
hi tenspeed it does it when the engine is hot if i just sit there there is a constant bleam of smoke but if i rev it theres loads and loads of white smoke
Old 05-26-2015, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by baileyevs
hi tenspeed it does it when the engine is hot if i just sit there there is a constant bleam of smoke but if i rev it theres loads and loads of white smoke
Not good. It sounds like a coolant leak into the cylinders from a blown head gasket. Do you see bubbles in the coolant reservoir?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. (DO NOT DRIVE TOW IT ) $$$$$

White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include…
Faulty or damaged injectors
Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)
When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. Use of our Flushing Oil Concentrate and FTC Decarbonizer address these respective problems.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

PT2

White smoke: White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the underside of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze as serious internal engine damage can result.

How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder (where it is not meant to be).
Old 05-27-2015, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks guys its now booked in at our local audi dealership friday morning so ill let u know what the out come is. thanks again much appreciated rick
Old 05-29-2015, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

well the car went in to audi today and what thay reckon it could be is possible sticky e g r valve or it could be bad diesel but thay checked car all over and cant find anything wrong
Old 05-29-2015, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default How did your coolant look?

Was it a correct water to color 50/50?

Was it darker than it should be ?

Was it murky or cloudy ?
Old 05-30-2015, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all ,took my car out today and and low and behold there it was again loads and loads of white smoke and this is when the engine is hot audi said my coolents are all fine but the car drives superb could it be turbo seals ?
Old 08-04-2019, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi first start smoke

Hi all not sure weather this is much to worry about but I have a Audi Q7 sport line v6 I’m have trouble starting first thing in the morning it finally starts if I turn ignition of and on a few times. I have changed glow plugs also new turbo just fitted due to actuater fault and veins in turbo not good also changed to fuel filter yesterday been putting the better fuel in diesel but same problem the computer doesn’t throw up any codes do you think anything to worry about or normal behaviour at 127k miles
thanks lee