Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2011 Q7 trailer hitch install

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texanaftdy
Greetings all...am. ~85% done with installing the OEM hith and brake controller on my 2010 Q7 TDI. Thank you PCOliver! One thing I am confused,on is how to get access to the to where the brake controller rests? Removed the right side cargo tie downs and the piece they rest on, removed the fuse panel, and could tug out slightly the carpeted panel an inch or two- no more. I could not remove anything else. So...my brake controller is resting below in a vacant area...but is semi loose. Did I miss something? Thanks much!
The controller goes right underneath the panel that is removed with the tie downs. If you disconnect the red connector that is pre wired at the factory it slides right I that area. Both of the plugs on the controller will end up pointing toward the right fender.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I have an issue that I cannot figure out. Installed the Audi tow hitch and ECU module. Had my local Audi dealer code the vehicle yesterday. Still cannot get the brake lights on the trailer to work. Tail lights, turn indicators, emergency flashers all work. Checked all connections and all looks good. Tried 2 different trailers with the same results. Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Pburleson
The controller goes right underneath the panel that is removed with the tie downs. If you disconnect the red connector that is pre wired at the factory it slides right I that area. Both of the plugs on the controller will end up pointing toward the right fender.
Thank you PBurlseon...appreciate the quick response.

I have plastic tabs in the way, so I am unable to slide it in where its supposed to go, so I believe it's needs placed from above. I attached a picture with an orange tool where I believe it goes. Above tool is plastic bar I can't figure out how to remove (after removing the tie down hook flooring). 2d slot below tool is where the ECU is now.

PCOliver's post showed the plastic bar in photo removed...how do I do that?
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

One more of bar from top. Orange tool resting on it. Can't get it off even with the fuse panel cover removed and surrounding panel pulled out. And sorry for the portrait orientation pics. Thanks much!
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2014, 03:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You do not need to remove the plastic panel that your tool is resting. Open the fuse panel cover on the right. The ECU module can be installed by going through the opening that is now evident after removing the fuse panel cover. It is a tight fit.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pburleson
Well I have an issue that I cannot figure out. Installed the Audi tow hitch and ECU module. Had my local Audi dealer code the vehicle yesterday. Still cannot get the brake lights on the trailer to work. Tail lights, turn indicators, emergency flashers all work. Checked all connections and all looks good. Tried 2 different trailers with the same results. Any ideas?
I found the issue. The dealer who coded the ECU left it at default for ROW (Rest of World). Should be coded for US/Canada/Mexico if you are in North America. This gives you 12V out on the trailer connection when brakes are applied and not a pulse which is what we were getting. Tech still did not know if he had it fixed as he was still getting an error on the dash for brake lights out. He was using a test or with LEDs. So I told him that was likely his problem. Came home and connected it to my trailer with incandescent bulbs and it worked perfect.

Hope this helps others.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great post...thanks for sharing...quick question...I just purchased a '15 Q7...if I add the trailer hitch...do setting in the vehicle's computer have to be changed? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'll be removing my factory to hitch from a 2015 Q7 any day now, if anyone is interested.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q7 hitch

Originally Posted by Nathecat
I'll be removing my factory to hitch from a 2015 Q7 any day now, if anyone is interested.
Sure I'm interested? Please call 609-929-7728
Old 05-09-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm interested.... are you taking out wiring harnesses as well? 609-929-7728

Quick Reply: 2011 Q7 trailer hitch install