Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Adaptive Air Suspension Modes Defined

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Air Suspension Modes Defined

Greetings: I took delivery of my shiny new 2015 Q7 a few days ago. The adaptive air is an awesome feature and I'd like to better understand the various settings (Lift, Offroad, Comfort, Auto, Dynamic).

I've searched this forum and Google looking for some documentation of exactly how each mode affects the ride. When discussing my driving style ("left lane driver" ) with my sales rep on delivery, she said I'd probably like Dynamic the best; so this is the mode I've been in since delivery. Of course, I've not had time to actually take the Q out for a long enough drive to really check out handling when set to different modes.

So the question is: Where can I find a PDF or other documentation that explains what I can expect from each suspension mode?

Thanks! Chad
Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

outside of the manual there isn't much about it...

"Adaptive air suspension is an electronically controlled air suspension system at all four wheels with a continuously adaptive damping system. It unites sporty handling with a high level of ride comfort. In addition, the air suspension allows for speed-dependent lowering of the body – a change in ride height that results in a low center of gravity and significantly increased directional stability. The vehicle’s aerodynamics are improved at the same time.

The vehicle has air suspension struts on all four wheels. The data from sensors on the axles and acceleration sensors on the body is evaluated in the adaptive air suspension's central control unit. This computer controls the adjustment of the individual shock absorbers in milliseconds, depending on driving situation. Provided no higher damping forces are required – for instance, when driving straight ahead on good roads – the damper settings remain comfortably soft.

Controlled changes to the damping force at individual wheels help to eliminate body movements at any time which could reduce occupant comfort. The adaptive damping system automatically reduces rolling or pitching movements when cornering, braking or driving off-road. Adaptive air suspension moreover offers the advantages of a traditional self-levelling suspension system. The vehicle's suspension height remains constant irrespective of the load it is carrying.

The adaptive air suspension generally also allows the driver to influence the suspension characteristic – and thus the operating dynamics – as individually preferred. The damping characteristics and ride height can be adjusted in a single process via the MMI "CAR" menu system. Available as an option in the Audi A8 and Audi Q7."

Audi Adaptive Air Suspension-sport > Audi Glossary > Audi Canada
Old 11-18-2014, 09:35 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

I haven't found a great description anywhere either, but I've been able to piece together info from various sources. Take this with a grain of salt, but I think it's pretty close.

Lift: Maximum lift setting, only available below 20mph (auto-lowers to Off Road if you go faster). ~50-55mm of lift above "normal".

Off Road: 25-30mm above normal. Returns to normal above 50mph.

Comfort: normal ride height, dampers set to soft. I think this mode defeats the auto-lowering that happens in Auto.

Auto: automatically lowers 20-25mm below normal at high speed, and raises back up as you slow.

Dynamic: dampers set to firm. Forces lower ride height, but I'm uncertain if it's the same height as the "auto high speed" mode or another 10mm lower than that.

Loading: lowers 50-55mm from normal. Only available when parked. Operated from button in the cargo area or on MMI.

Hope this helps.
Jeff J
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JKJ
I haven't found a great description anywhere either, but I've been able to piece together info from various sources. Take this with a grain of salt, but I think it's pretty close.

Lift: Maximum lift setting, only available below 20mph (auto-lowers to Off Road if you go faster). ~50-55mm of lift above "normal".

Off Road: 25-30mm above normal. Returns to normal above 50mph.

Comfort: normal ride height, dampers set to soft. I think this mode defeats the auto-lowering that happens in Auto.

Auto: automatically lowers 20-25mm below normal at high speed, and raises back up as you slow.

Dynamic: dampers set to firm. Forces lower ride height, but I'm uncertain if it's the same height as the "auto high speed" mode or another 10mm lower than that.

Loading: lowers 50-55mm from normal. Only available when parked. Operated from button in the cargo area or on MMI.

Hope this helps.
Jeff J

Thanks for the info Jeff. Your descriptions are the closest I've seen to the height adjustments as related to speed, etc.

I guess I just need to hit my favorite mountain roads and play with the settings to find out how the Q responds
Old 11-18-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you are correct about Dynamic lowering a further 10mm than Auto.

There are a couple of other things you need to bear in mind.

If you jack the car up it is important to set it in jacking mode in the MMI.

If you have a tow bar but you don't have the full factory wiring kit, you need to select towing mode manually as well in the same location.

I find the only mode I like is Dynamic, I find the other all a bit too soft for normal day to day use. On my A8 I had sport as well as dynamic which was a nice little extra option over what the Q has.

Another benefit is you can happily lower it a bit using VAG-COM, about an 10mm can be a safe option if you are so inclined, any more is not worth it. I have left mine at standard height. I just think that it's not a sports car and really the factory got it pretty much right as they set it.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Edd W
Another benefit is you can happily lower it a bit using VAG-COM, about an 10mm can be a safe option if you are so inclined, any more is not worth it. I have left mine at standard height. I just think that it's not a sports car and really the factory got it pretty much right as they set it.
reducing the height by 5-10mm front and 15mm rear is perfect for dynamic mode. still rides very well in auto/comfort mode and the off-road and lift mode are barely effected. everyone has a different opinion on height and what is best so YMMV. (coming from vehicles that handle much better i wanted to dial it in a bit more and that was my solution and it didn't hurt that it improved the looks a bit.)
Old 11-19-2014, 04:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
reducing the height by 5-10mm front and 15mm rear is perfect for dynamic mode. still rides very well in auto/comfort mode and the off-road and lift mode are barely effected. everyone has a different opinion on height and what is best so YMMV. (coming from vehicles that handle much better i wanted to dial it in a bit more and that was my solution and it didn't hurt that it improved the looks a bit.)
Thanks all for the feedback. I find the heights just fine, actually a little low for my taste, but the Q7 does handle like a sports car and I love that
Old 11-19-2014, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

An interesting revelation for me was the fact that "Towing Mode Enabled" eliminates your ability to enter Dynamic mode or lowering the rear of the car car with the loading button.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldS4Fart
An interesting revelation for me was the fact that "Towing Mode Enabled" eliminates your ability to enter Dynamic mode or lowering the rear of the car car with the loading button.
I always found towing to be better in Dynamic mode. However, you need to make sure it is in Dynamic mode before putting it in trailer mode as you can't activate Dynamic later as noted. If you take it out of Dynamic while the trailer is hooked up, you need to disconnect the trailer, put it back in Dynamic and reconnect the trailer. Not sure of Audi's logic.....
Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Expert

dynamic is constantly changing based on speed and stiffer dampening. in tow mode it keeps the suspension leveled and static for the duration of the tow.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Air Suspension Modes Defined