Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

back up camera & mmi issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back up camera & mmi issues

Hi, I have a 2008 premium Q7 that I purchased 9/2014. The MMI works randomly plays consistently for a while and others it starts and turns off as I'm driving or not at all. My battery was cleaned of corrosion and reconnected. Since then my back up camera, front sensor and telephone doesn't work. the dealers told me that I would have to have the camera reset with a special tool that would cost me $135. Has anyone had any of these issues and if so, how did you resolve them?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think the likely cause is a leaky sunroof, causing electrical gremlins.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an 08 q7and took it to the dealer today cause my navi backup cam and sensors weren't work well and it was cuz my sunroof was leaking a need a new sunroof frame $2150 and another 2000 for the navi Module
Old 12-13-2014, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Why would you need a new sunroof frame? Did you roll over or

Originally Posted by Andres12
I have an 08 q7and took it to the dealer today cause my navi backup cam and sensors weren't work well and it was cuz my sunroof was leaking a need a new sunroof frame $2150 and another 2000 for the navi Module
or something? Find out where it leaks and replace the seals or something. 2008 doesn't have problems with sunroof. I have 2008 and it was raining dogs and cats in the last few days and mine doesn't have any problem.
The Navigation module? what's that? <a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/q7-navigation-retrofit.html">Navigation DVD unit?</a>

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
or something? Find out where it leaks and replace the seals or something. 2008 doesn't have problems with sunroof. I have 2008 and it was raining dogs and cats in the last few days and mine doesn't have any problem.
The Navigation module? what's that? <a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/q7-navigation-retrofit.html">Navigation DVD unit?</a>

Cheers,

Louis
Yeah I took it to Audi said the frame was leaking bad when they poured water over and the navigation that's in the back where the spare tire is at and no never rolled it
Old 12-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by B490MTL
I would think the likely cause is a leaky sunroof, causing electrical gremlins.
There was a crack above the passenger seat at the bottom of the windshield when purchased that leaked. It was replaced...everything still worked randomly whenever the mmi did, until the battery was disconnected. I'm trying not to be discouraged being a new Audi owner....
Old 12-14-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fonda
There was a crack above the passenger seat at the bottom of the windshield when purchased that leaked. It was replaced...everything still worked randomly whenever the mmi did, until the battery was disconnected. I'm trying not to be discouraged being a new Audi owner....
ECU is at the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side. Could explain some of the problems.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audis are reliable and fun only if you get a right one, well kept used

or new. If you get a wrong one, it will be a money pit. The problem with Audi cars is the electronics is over designed, very details and complex, it's very hard for technicians to understand and troubleshoot. They will replace everything until they get the right one on your expense. If you're not mechanically inclined, return the car to where you bought it from.

I bought my 2008 Q7 new, it has 40k miles now, only a set of new tires needed. Original everything and like new, solid and dependable.

Again, how can a sunroof leak? Somebody must tear the sunroof out for some reasons. Something must drop on it hard if not rolled over.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 12-14-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the leaky sunroof, too...but all it took was new sunroof drains to be installed.

I also did have the occasional crapping-out MMI, stereo, backup cam, and bluetooth. I linked these problems to the leaking drains but my dealer said nothing was wrong with the amp. "Updated the software" and no more problems. I did have them replace all 4 sunroof drains as well. No problems since. Q7 was at the dealer for 5 days...covered under CPO.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is a video on how to fix the drain for the Q7

It's a lot of work. Mostly disassembling stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbWsvnMplek

Cheers,

Louis

Quick Reply: back up camera & mmi issues