Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Car cover recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover recommendations?

Hi. About to become the owner of a nice new to me Atlantis Blue Q7. Very excited to join the community.

Unfortunately live in an older house with a very small garage so it will need to be parked outside. There will also be several weeks where it will get no use at all Mon - Fri.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good quality car cover so I can protect the finish? Live in New York area so need to protect against a full range of hot/snow weather condtions.

Thanks for any advice.
---Rob
Old 04-20-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealership sales one for the outside and inside.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

unless you put the cover on a clean vehicle the cover will create more scratches and damages than leaving it uncovered.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
unless you put the cover on a clean vehicle the cover will create more scratches and damages than leaving it uncovered.
+1
Audi paint is very soft and doesn't take much to leave a scratch.
You would be better off having the car detailed and the appropriate weather protection for your area applied very spring / fall.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Rob, covers are best left for indoors storage.

Look at one of the modern paint coatings available. A much more practical solution.

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by DieselDave
+1
Audi paint is very soft and doesn't take much to leave a scratch.
although off topic it is sad that audi paint quality changed after they switched to water based low voc paint. audi paint used to be hard as a rock.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well then.... That's a dilemma. I was also hoping to protect against overheating of the interior and UV damage of same.

Last two summers in New York (temps well over 100*F on some days) made the dash on my Infiniti bubble and beat the living *stuff* out of my trim.

Will be interviewing detailers for the exterior though.

Suggestions?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Rob, you can check in with former sponsor Detailer's Domain, Norwood NJ. He'll have multiple offerings.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Robstreperous
Well then.... That's a dilemma. I was also hoping to protect against overheating of the interior and UV damage of same. Last two summers in New York (temps well over 100*F on some days) made the dash on my Infiniti bubble and beat the living *stuff* out of my trim. Will be interviewing detailers for the exterior though. Suggestions?
Typical Infiniti, never had a problem with interior fading with audi. Some leather discolouration but nothing noticeable
Old 04-22-2015, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Robstreperous
Well then.... That's a dilemma. I was also hoping to protect against overheating of the interior and UV damage of same.

Last two summers in New York (temps well over 100*F on some days) made the dash on my Infiniti bubble and beat the living *stuff* out of my trim.

Will be interviewing detailers for the exterior though.

Suggestions?
window tint. if you're concerned about traffic violations for illegal tint 3m crystalline repels majority of the uv rays and heat without having to go dark. i went 20% crystalline on my avant and loved it. it is more expensive than other tint material but labor is the same.

if you install clearbra on your vehicle a car would work well without scratching paint but an installation that will not look ugly and cover the entire nose is going to be easily $1200+. most tint shops now do clear bra so you can try to do a group rate or work with a detailer since you would want the paint to be corrected and protected before laminating with a clearbra.

lastly there are no shortages of detailers in your area. they all do the same thing but in different ways and to different degrees. your objective, budget, time frame and level of OCD all come into play here.

if you want some suggestions send over a pm i'll refer you to a few guys and you choose based on your criteria and comfort level.

(*i do not have any affiliation with any of the companies and do not receive kickbacks or referral fees. i simply service my vehicles with them and appreciate their work.)

Quick Reply: Car cover recommendations?