Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Dynamic Air Suspension – Lowering Mode Button Function

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic Air Suspension – Lowering Mode Button Function

Question for those of you that have Dynamic Air Suspension with the load/lower button in the rear cargo area.

--> Should the car lower every time you press the button to lower the rear end? Or, are there certain conditions where the car will now lower?

On my Q7 pressing the button does not always lower the rear end. The light will blink 3-4 times and that is all that happens. I would think that if I press the button the car should lower down to its lowest position for easy load/unload.

For those of you that have read of my MMI saga, you understand that I have not had much time to familiarize myself with all functions of the Q7 as I have only owned it for 33 days and it has been at dealer 3 times for MMI service for a total of 16 days (and counting). I have mentioned this to my service advisor via email and the response was "OK, we will check it out".

Here is a quote from the Audi Glossary
"To make loading easier, the Audi Q7 also offers a loading mode, which lowers the rear axle to 45 mm below its level in normal mode. The loading mode can be activated either via the MMI or by pressing a button in the luggage compartment."
Old 12-18-2014, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

it states it can be lowered through mmi however i have not seen this function. if you lower from the hatch it is very simple. you press the button it will blink and then lower the height over the rear axle (only) for easier loading. it will not do this if you have a door open or a fault stored or of course if they did damaged the plug/wiring when they were swapping mmi modules.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It will also not lower if you have the towing mode set on the MMI
Old 12-18-2014, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is available as one of the functions in the MMI menu choices, think before tow. I hasve used MMI to lower in leiu of trunk in the past.

Originally Posted by iconoclast
it states it can be lowered through mmi however i have not seen this function. if you lower from the hatch it is very simple. you press the button it will blink and then lower the height over the rear axle (only) for easier loading. it will not do this if you have a door open or a fault stored or of course if they did damaged the plug/wiring when they were swapping mmi modules.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

i will look tonight, i may have overlooked it. thanks for the head's up.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
i will look tonight, i may have overlooked it. thanks for the head's up.
Even though my owner's manual says it can be done with MMI, I am positive it's not possible in my Q. I must use switch in cargo area.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the replys!

I received a call from my service advisor at 4::00 PM today. It seems the culprit that is causing the MMI malfunciton is the main hub, which is also causing the issue with the car not lowering when the button is pressed.

More to come when I get more details from service advisor.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 PM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

I'm sure you've already figured this out, but for the hatch lowering button to work, all of the doors have to be closed. If they're open, you just get the blinking light. With your MMI issues, you've probably got something more serious going on, but I just wanted to throw this "easy" fix out there.
The following users liked this post:
Kliptic (05-14-2020)
Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There should be an option in the MMI under service I think - same location as where you select towing mode or jacking mode.

The button in the rear load area only works when the drivers' door is closed and it does not lower that much if it's already in dynamic mode - because it's nearly at the lowest setting already.

On mine, I see the rear end lower just about an inch from dynamic height. If you park up with it set in comfort mode, you should see a greater amount of lowering - if you see what I mean!

So far, I have never actually found it of much use, but I am 6ft 4ins so I guess it's not really designed for someone my height!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JKJ
I'm sure you've already figured this out, but for the hatch lowering button to work, all of the doors have to be closed. If they're open, you just get the blinking light. With your MMI issues, you've probably got something more serious going on, but I just wanted to throw this "easy" fix out there.
Thanks for the feedback. Correct in that it will only work if doors are shut. In my case, doors were shut and still would not always lower. Service Advisor confirmed the issue causing MMI problems is also disrupting lowering feature. Even more so, when stopped at a traffic light, the car would lower or raise at random

Quick Reply: Dynamic Air Suspension – Lowering Mode Button Function