Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Front sunroof drain tube leaking :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Front sunroof drain tube leaking :(

Ok I'm now included on this 2007 syndrome too. My driver's side drain tube is leaking and I think I'm going to get both front ones replaced. I don't think my extended warranty covers that. Anyone here had any luck w/ Audi picking up some part of the bill? How much $ it usually runs for this job? I don't want to think how much would cost for the rear ones. It's got to be a lot!

Thanks,

Alex
Old 09-18-2015, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmwrt
Ok I'm now included on this 2007 syndrome too. My driver's side drain tube is leaking and I think I'm going to get both front ones replaced. I don't think my extended warranty covers that. Anyone here had any luck w/ Audi picking up some part of the bill? How much $ it usually runs for this job? I don't want to think how much would cost for the rear ones. It's got to be a lot!

Thanks,

Alex
I would hope your extended warranty covers it. It's a faulty design and there's a TSB for it. Audi will even admit it. I had the same issue - first drain to be replaced was the drivers side. Then a few months later the passenger side started to leak so that was replaced. A year after that I had both rear drains replaced after heavy leaking in the trunk which burned out the amplifier. Luckily, I was still under CPO warranty so only paid the $80 deductible. Service dept had the car for 5 days to do the rears because they had to remove the headliner apparently. Cost of labor was the worst part of it.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

If for some reason your extended warranty does not cover the repair, I paid under $300 to have one drain replaced earlier this year on the '07 4.2. I would assume that to do two drains it would be in the low $500's since you aren't adding much to the labor and the parts are cheap (your cost would be less than $50 in parts per side going from memory).

I have a long speedo cable that I use to check the drains periodically, and I clean the plenums every few months as well.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got my front tubes repaced today and cost me 373.00 P & L. Now that I can understand where the failure is inside these tubes, I'm going to see if I can do the rears myself. I will try to take some pictures to share with you guys.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

It cost me $373.00 to get both front drain tubes replaced. Yesterday I got both rears done myself. Total parts cost me $65.00 and three hours. Not bad at all. Better than pay the Stealer for the work. Note: The rear tubes were still good but I wasn't going to wait for the right side to fail on top of the Amplifier wich cost $1000 new. Both front ones were leaking. Audi came out with a simple fix instead of replacing the entire tube.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the simple fix? I have an 08 and getting a leak on the passenger side.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick_M
What is the simple fix? I have an 08 and getting a leak on the passenger side.
You can attempt to unclog the drain yourself. Have to access the drain which is located behind each front wheel (behind wheel well lining). I know if you do a search, you can find some detailed instructions with photos. You can usually reach in with a finger or two and pull out leaves and other gunk that has been collected and pushed down through the tubing...which caused the blockage.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's not clogged, it's the hose to fitting connection that connects to the roof drain. Needs to be reglued and the headliner has to come down, at least a little past the b pillars, should do all 4 drains and never worry again.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Mine was still connected on the 4.2, but had been pinched off according to the dealership...
Old 11-02-2015, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is there anyway to know if it is just clogged/pinched versus hose fitting coming loose without tearing things apart? For example, will something else be wet like the headliner if it is a hose fitting issue?

Quick Reply: Front sunroof drain tube leaking :(