Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

How to replace rear light bulb on Audi Q7 3.6

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace rear light bulb on Audi Q7 3.6

I managed to replace a dipped headlight bulb on my 2009 Q7 just a few days ago. Now the outermost rear light has gone out as well.

I have not been able to pry the plastic cover off, despite the excellent instructions here:

I am hesitant to spend $16 buying the OE wedge tool, Matra 3409:
www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm

I tried using a sturdy plastic spoon as a wedge, but didn't get anywhere. Any ideas how to do this?

Others note that Audi will charge up to $80 for replacing one of these bulbs; less than the $100 for a headlight, but obviously still a complete rip-off.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK, after spending probably an hour in total with various improvised prying tools, a wooden popsicle stick topping the list, I was beginning to give up...

Here is the fail-safe way to remove the inside plastic cover for the the outermost rear lights on an Audi Q7:

1 Take a wooden popsicle stick or other soft, yet reasonably strong, prying tool and wedge it in from the side along the edge of the inside cover and the outside light cover, gently forcing the cover to open 3-4 mm just by the prying tool.

2 Slide in the corner of a thin (3-4 mm) hardcover book or heavy duty magazine, and proceed to slide in the long side of the magazine along the length of the cover side, corresponding to the right side in YouTube video. This will allow you to get a much better grip on the right side, and apply more force along the full length of the plastic cover, significantly decreasing risk of damage to cover.

3 Apply force with both left (less force) and right hand (most force, with book/magazine between right hand and cover), as shown in video. The cover should come off fairly easily.

I was able to get it off in a minute using this method. I think my cover must have been stuck particularly well, as much more force needed to be applied than seems to be the case in video.

I think I should be able to replace the light in less than 1.5 minutes using this method. Audi is in other words charging about $3,200 per hour in time and materials for this operation (assuming a $80 average bulb replacement cost). Not a bad business to be in...
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Actually, the below will only work with a flexible, but "heavy duty", magazine or soft cover book, as this allows you to use it as an extended grip that molds to your right hand.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the video and the tools site! Good info.