Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Issue with Door on new Audi Q7 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Surely it is normal behaviour to hold the door handle as you open it to prevent the risk of damage, especially in windy weather (DA again)?

I would say good luck with anyone getting any support from Audi for this problem but I still cannot see why they would pay out.

In 'normal' use, the hinges and associated mechanisms work well and do not have a history of failure so it will be difficult to argue that it is a design fault.

It's a shame, but on the latest Golf's the rear doors clickless friction limiters to reduce the risk of children causing damage to other cars in carparks. I guess this will become more widespread as each new model comes out and it could well prevent the problem in the first place.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this happened to BOTH my doors. One was a teenager (yes, mine ) throwing the door open and slamming it. The other was me on a windy day. I've never had this happen with another car, and for those of you claiming it's "operator error" just wait until it happens to you--at least with the Q7. Hopefully you all will be really careful after reading our cautionary tales. My dealer--Audi Hoffman Estates--was rude and insulting, with GM Brian Hall telling me --and I quote-- "Well I didn't allow the wind to catch it on a windy day". Wow. Nice attitude. Appreciate the dealer sticking up for its customer AND its product. Just a load of you know what.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update: Brian Hall, the GM of Audi Hoffman Estates, called me today. I think after reading on a post I put on their Facebook page, saying that maybe I would contact a competitor, he thought working something out with me would be in his best interest. I'm happy to say we reached a compromise and my car will be fixed. My advice to anyone with an issue would be to use social media. Car dealers do not want the negative publicity. Thanks to those of you who responded and helped me with this!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I have the same issue with my Audi Q7 TDI car door. Last year, I was getting out of the car and a wind blew the car door open with some force. When I tried to close the door behind me, I noticed it wouldn't close. After looking and seeing the dent, I had realized what happened. Took the car to Audi and they said these acts of God happen and had to pay out of pocket for body work, and then I submitted to insurance company. Last week same thing happened again, The wind blew the door open and sure enough, another dent. The wind was not as forceful this time and I can close the door, but the crease and dent is there again. I refuse to pay for this again and now I have contacted Audi Corporate. They're giving me a hard time but I was wondering if you ever contacted corporate to make a complaint? It's UNREAL how a vehicle like this can dent so easily from wind! I am so upset and beside myself with anger because Audi will not take responsibility for their crappy doors and body. Would really appreciate you replying! Thank you =)
Old 03-24-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow - I'm glad this thread popped up again...though I'm sorry this is happening to so many people. I'm glad because I'll be super careful and instruct my wife to do the same.

I have to admit that coming from two Audi sedans and a coupe, I noticed at the dealership -- and commented to the salesman -- how flimsy the door skins are on the Q7. After almost ten years of hearing my car doors close with a solid "clunk" it has been an adjustment to get used to a clang that more closely resembles the door closing on a Toyota Rav4. I like a lot of things about my Q7, but the body skins seem more fragile on this vehicle than about any I've owned.

Edit: I know that better reinforcements add weight / cost and reduce fuel efficiency, but I'd happily sacrifice a few bucks, 0.10 MPG and an eighth of a second to 60 mph in exchange for better doors.

Last edited by Storm33; 03-24-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DahliaB
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I have the same issue with my Audi Q7 TDI car door. Last year, I was getting out of the car and a wind blew the car door open with some force. When I tried to close the door behind me, I noticed it wouldn't close. After looking and seeing the dent, I had realized what happened. Took the car to Audi and they said these acts of God happen and had to pay out of pocket for body work, and then I submitted to insurance company. Last week same thing happened again, The wind blew the door open and sure enough, another dent. The wind was not as forceful this time and I can close the door, but the crease and dent is there again. I refuse to pay for this again and now I have contacted Audi Corporate. They're giving me a hard time but I was wondering if you ever contacted corporate to make a complaint? It's UNREAL how a vehicle like this can dent so easily from wind! I am so upset and beside myself with anger because Audi will not take responsibility for their crappy doors and body. Would really appreciate you replying! Thank you =)
Ok, so I'm glad I made this post many years ago. This is a real problem with the Audi Q7 and Audi isn't treating their customers right. And the more people see this thread and comment on it the better.

As I said in my original posts, I will never buy another Audi again and to this day I have stayed true to my word. I have brought several other luxury name-plates since we brought the Audi Q7 TDI and Audi will never get another dime from me.

DahliaB - my advice to you. You SHOULDN'T pay a dime to fix this. Audi knows this is an issue with the door design. The Dealers know. Its BS that you fixed it the first time with your insurance (and raised your policy in the process).

You should tell Corporate that this is not an act of God but faulty Audi Q7 door design. You can show them this thread as proof. You also going to tell Corporate that if they don't treat you right and fix the door for free, then you are going Social Media on their ***. If you have legal contacts, you may also want to investigate starting a class action lawsuit. I'm happy to join you if this happens. You also need to make the same threat to your Dealer. The Dealer and Corporate will work together to solve it, if they both feel pressure. Its key that you make the Dealer involved with this every step of the conversation, cause they don't want the hassle and will in turn work with Corporate to get something done.

If they act like they acted with me and other customers, they will not help you - initially. So if they do not take up your offer to help, you need to start the process. Contact me, i'll show you how to get going on Social Media and do web marketing to bring heat to them on this issue.

To Audi or anyone from Audi who reads this - and I know there are people who do. Do the right thing and fix this customer's door issue. Its BS that years later people who spend good money for your product come up with the same issue over and over again. Go to any other car forum and find me any cars that dent based on wind pull. Please show it to me, cause you won't find it. But you are happy to sell a 60k plus vehicle for a ill-designed product? Shame on you. Shame on you double cause you know this is an on-going issue and you don't help your customers.

Last edited by warzilla; 03-31-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, But my problem was mall parking lot dent I had to replace the door by a Audi collision shop. (it was a big one/ repair the second door).
Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by warzilla
Believe me, Audi lost my business - FOREVER.
you sold the car after it was repaired?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
you sold the car after it was repaired?
No we still have it.

But I will never buy another Audi car again...just on principle. I go buy other German cars instead.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Faulty door on Q7

Sad to see the door issue continues on, with Audi still not willing to fix what is obviously a product flaw. I've already steered one friend away from a Q7, and--like many of you have said--will never buy another Audi product. Someone asked how my problem was resolved. I used social media to my advantage, and after a few days the GM of my Audi dealer called and asked what it would take to settle this--I said pay my deductible--which he did. The best way to go after these dealers, in my opinion, is to go to their own Facebook page. I went on theirs, blasted the GM and the Service Manager by name, and called them out on not taking care of their customers. Apparently one of my friends saw this--he's a loyal, repeat Audi customer at this dealer. He called the GM and advised him to take care of me. It's good to have friends FYI I was sitting in traffic in my town recently. An Audi Q7 was coming towards me in the opposite lane and I looked at their door panel, as I usually do now. Yep--they had the telltale crease too.

Quick Reply: Issue with Door on new Audi Q7 TDI