Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Keyless break in

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Keyless break in

So sometime last night, my Q7 was broken into in my driveway, with the thief most likely using a keyless remote signal booster. I don't keep anything of value in the car, so nothing was taken, other than possibly a roll of quarters. I was the last one to drive and definitely locked the doors afterwards because I recall seeing the led on the drivers door flashing when I was rolling out the garbage. Both keyfobs were in the house, and the drivers seats were in position for my wife, who hasn't driven the car in at least a month.

I was wondering if there's a setting in VAG or MMI that disables keyless unlock only, but maintains lock and ignition functionality.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i am not sure of any setting that lets you choose which functions of the passive keyless entry are enabled or disabled but you can completely disable the system but you will have error messages when you scan the vehicle (not on the cluster).

if you manual lock the the door with the key blade i believe that overrides the keyless entry as well. the doors will only open again with the key unlocking the cylinder in the door.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep my key fobs in a small wooden key cabinet when the car is not in use, I might consider lining it with metal on the inside now
Old 11-20-2015, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was thinking that keeping the key in an anti-static bag like the kind computer hard drives are shipped in might work, but it doesn't. Aluminum foil does work if it's completely wrapped. I'll probably find a small box and line it with foil to keep the keys in when I get home, or some sort of metal pail.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is a solution to this problem involving sensing the additional time lag that occurs when the key is a long way from the car (one ns per foot). Hopefully Audi will add that feature someday... or maybe sooner to make amends for dieselgate.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Check your driver door lock, a thief tried to get in mine a few years ago and the lock was a little loose after but the couldn't get in.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

the distance needed for the key to be inactive isn't that far. providing your vehicle is not within that distance it should not allow the door to be opened. if i stand by my front door and my wife tries to unlock in the driveway the vehicle will not open. i believe the threshold is approximately three feet.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
the distance needed for the key to be inactive isn't that far. providing your vehicle is not within that distance it should not allow the door to be opened. if i stand by my front door and my wife tries to unlock in the driveway the vehicle will not open. i believe the threshold is approximately three feet.
The car is constantly sending a signal looking for a key. The thieves use a device, an amplifier, that strengthens the signal from the car, causing the key to respond even if it's far away. The same device picks up the key's response and sends it back to the car. Once the door is open the same trick lets the thief start the car. He can drive away, but can't restart the car later.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Are "Keyless Entry" Hacks Really the Source of Recent Car Break Ins?
Old 11-22-2015, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by RCCurtis
The car is constantly sending a signal looking for a key. The thieves use a device, an amplifier, that strengthens the signal from the car, causing the key to respond even if it's far away. The same device picks up the key's response and sends it back to the car. Once the door is open the same trick lets the thief start the car. He can drive away, but can't restart the car later.
ive heard of these devices but i was referring to the people saying that they would line their drawers or key holders in foil (even if the comments were in jest i wanted to point out they're probably out of range to begin with).

Quick Reply: Keyless break in