Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Long-term Hawk LTS Users - Any Squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long-term Hawk LTS Users - Any Squeal?

I've done extensive searching on this forum and I see a lot of folks purchased the Hawk LTS pad but I have not seen many long-term users comment. I get the strong sense that these brakes do very well at braking but I am wondering for those that have had them a while, how the noise is? People whom have posted about this in the past have not had a lot of miles on them. Can anyone comment on long-term results?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

15K with Hawks on my 2013 S Line Prestige (replaced the OEM about a week after I got the car & saw how much dust they produced ) - totally silent & more than adequate performance.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
15K with Hawks on my 2013 S Line Prestige (replaced the OEM about a week after I got the car & saw how much dust they produced ) - totally silent & more than adequate performance.
Thank you. Very helpful!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't have any experience with the Hawk LTS, but did have the Hawk ceramics on my 2010 Q7 for about 50k miles. They did not squeal and braked well, but they were a whole lot more (red) dusty than I had hoped. Not as bad as the factory pads, but dusty nevertheless; and, therefore, a disappointment.

I currently have Rotex Gold pads on my 2015, about 15k miles so far. Essentially no dust, no squeal and good braking performance. They are graphite, sponge iron and kevlar. I like them a lot!

See here for more detailed info.

Rotex Brake Pads - The No Black Dust Brake Pad - Rotex Gold, Silver, Severe Duty

As an aside, a caveat emptor with regards to Brakeworld.com is in order. They sell a pad that they claim is Rotex Gold. However, it is packaged in poly bags with stick on computer printed labels. My experience with three different cars is that genuine Rotex pads are packaged in Rotex boxes.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 09-01-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
I don't have any experience with the Hawk LTS, but did have the Hawk ceramics on my 2010 Q7 for about 50k miles. They did not squeal and braked well, but they were a whole lot more (red) dusty than I had hoped. Not as bad as the factory pads, but dusty nevertheless; and, therefore, a disappointment.

I currently have Rotex Gold pads on my 2015, about 15k miles so far. Essentially no dust, no squeal and good braking performance. They are graphite, sponge iron and kevlar. I like them a lot!

See here for more detailed info.

Rotex Brake Pads - The No Black Dust Brake Pad - Rotex Gold, Silver, Severe Duty

As an aside, a caveat emptor with regards to Brakeworld.com is in order. They sell a pad that they claim is Rotex Gold. However, it is packaged in poly bags with stick on computer printed labels. My experience with three different cars is that genuine Rotex pads are packaged in Rotex boxes.
Thanks for the recommendation. That is concerning how they were delivered. Would you mind checking my question as well with regards to the brake sensors? Do you have one's you recommend? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2015, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by C6Silver
Thanks for the recommendation. That is concerning how they were delivered. Would you mind checking my question as well with regards to the brake sensors? Do you have one's you recommend? Thanks!
I use Audi sensors. They can be had at a discount from one of our sponsors.

As to the pads, get them from Brakewarehouse.com, and you'll get genuine ones in Rotex boxes.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
I use Audi sensors. They can be had at a discount from one of our sponsors.

As to the pads, get them from Brakewarehouse.com, and you'll get genuine ones in Rotex boxes.
Using the vendor list on this forum I found this one, however, there were a bunch more and its a bit confusing. Would this work: https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/cat...ml?3593=519495
Old 09-02-2015, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Hawk ceramic. For normal street driving, these pads are enough. Having less dust is another thing I like about them.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had Hawk LTS for 2 years now, and yes they do squeal some at low speeds. I also have them on my Lexus LX, and they squeal as well. Less dust than OEM, but Dutch has me wanting the Rotex Gold next time I swap. Be careful with the sensors when installing them. I would test fit them first, I think the paint on the Hawk pads is thicker, and needs to be scraped off to get the sensors to fit easily.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
I think the paint on the Hawk pads is thicker, and needs to be scraped off to get the sensors to fit easily.
Definitely. I busted two brand new sensors before I figured this out.

Quick Reply: Long-term Hawk LTS Users - Any Squeal?