Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Looking at my first Audi

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at my first Audi

Hello. New guy here.

Full disclosure.. I am a Merc fan, always gassers. I have committed to going diesel on the next ML but that has changed to GL since the wife wants a third row.

I've been looking for about 6 months. I have missed a few GL's where I probably negotiated too hard a line.. live and learn. These things are just not available like their gas-powered cousins it seems and I guess there is a line behind me of people waving stacks of cash in the air waiting for me to take a breath. Its fascinating how confident salespersons are with second hand diesel AWD's right now.

Anyway, on to my point..

I came across a Q7 TDI over a week ago and have an appointment to meet her tomorrow evening.

2010 with 45k, Premium Plus. Black on Tan. I have been devouring information all week. Everything I can find to read. I am very impressed with the aesthetics, features and capabilities of the car from everything I have been able to digest in the short time I've had to do so.

The most concerning things so far are some negative hints, maybe just fear of the unknown, early on about the engine and the motor-out, super expensive replacement of the timing chains. I am used to understanding that if a chain goes, that is "when the wheels fall off". Chains are supposed to be lifetime components. Belts are a different story.

I cannot find anything definitive about if this was a win for AUDI or not since there has been a change since and the fact that consumer reviews illustrate one experience where The V6TDI is the best car ever made just before the next experience where the owner might seemingly assassinate and Audi exec or even a dealer tech if given even the smallest window of getting away with it.

So I am polling the experts..

I know this is a fan forum and I probably wont hear too much negative but you guys have the best input and I would love to hear opinions on whether or not this particular model would be on the table or not just based on track record alone. I want to own this car for a very long time and am fully committed to the necessary care that is involved with that.

Any inspection advice that you folks can provide that will be helpful on my date tomorrow will go greatly appreciated. Diesel is new to me and so is Audi, so I need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance for reading and any input you can impart is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Man, get the Audi and thank God you didn't get the Benz. I am telling you because I was in the same boat as you. Before deciding on the Q7, the GL was on the top of my list because I have this desire to keep this family vehicle for a long time and didn't want something unreliable. Benzes are usually very well built cars but the ML and GL are pieces of crap, and their diesel variants just as bad. The ML I know is plagued with electrical gremlins that I was hoping wasn't present in the GL. Also I expected the nature of Diesel engines to make them better in the long term.
Everything I learned while doing my research said the GL is full or problems. Electrical a as well as mechanical. From Diesel engine issues to transmission problems.
My reason for not jumping to the Q7 initially was because I wanted something with more 3rd row seating legroom as well as the power folding 3rd row seats. But with all I learned, I decided to what I know.
I picked up my Q7 TDi 2 weeks ago, but it is my 3rd VW diesel vehicle after a Jetta and a Touareg 2 I've owned for 80k miles without so much as a hiccup. Nothing but maintenance ever done on the Touareg and that was a fully loaded car with air suspension and all options. Best cars I've owned in their corresponding classes and The Touareg was the best built vehicle I've owned bar none. And that's saying a lot considering the vehicles I have owned in the past. Not an electrical issue or mechanical. And the diesel gave me the same excellent fuel economy at 80k miles than when it was new. In addition to my personal experience, I've read that the Q7 is a very reliable car. The transmissions are very solid, the 8speed in the 2011+ even more so.
Regarding the timing chains, it's not a problem on this specific engine.... Though there are a few exceptions as everything can fail. So you may see some having had issues with it, but it's not a renowned problem as what I saw in the GL. Those were known to have timing chain problems which was shocking.
Diesel engines by design are more robust than gasoline engines. They have a much longer longevity and can withstand a lot more. They are work horses by design and are more efficient also by design.
With all this said, if you find a good one, go for it. Have it sent to an Audi dealer and have them do a pre-purchase inspection before buying. It's very thorough and they will highlight the problems the car may have. Definitely a must. It costs around $300 depending on your area.
Get a Q7 and sleep well.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Carefully check the third row seats suit the use you are expecting the put them to, they are not good for all passengers as the tend to make people feel a little claustrophobic.

Otherwise the Q7 is a pretty good package. Contrary to what some claim, the diesel engines do use fuel and the Q7 is still an expensive car to run but not as expensive as the non-diesels.

In terms of reliability, mine is the 4.2tdi and at 144k miles still pulls as well as at 44k and part from one rear air suspension unit, a couple of level sensors and one upper front wishbone the car had nothing but routine maintenance.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my buddy owns a GL bluetec and i have had a chance to drive it. Not a bad vehicle. He had his up at 180k miles and was only doing oil changes. So one can't just say the cars are garbage. Bluetecs are some of the most reliable engines out there. Oil changes gotta be on point though. The ride felt solid, with plenty of pull but the Q7 TDI pulled a bit harder and it feels like a sedan on the road. These 3.0 TDIs for the most part are bulletproof. Your regular maintenance items will apply, like on any other car.

At this point for me to go to a benz is difficult unless it makes sense. Many people have VAG COMs and that's just a must if you own a VW/AUDI for tweaks and/or if you ever get any lights, you can diagnose them easily. Not to mention to do service resets, etc.

Overall, i'd say both are solid vehicles, but the Q7 is slighly better in all aspects. And i am not just saying that because i like Audi. I like the benz as well
Old 08-19-2016, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you all for the insight and assistance. I feel very comfortable moving forward with the search. Unfortunately, this was not the car.

Its a 7 year old car with 44k but it was clear the 44, or at least some of the 44 were hard miles.

I am not looking for perfect, and quite frankly will be turned off a little by perfect because my family uses our vehicles. We maintain them but we do not hesitate to keep utility first on the list of priorities.

This poor soul had an owner that obviously took utility to the extreme.

It was a great drive, made a great noise and by all accounts was probably worthy of an investment for a dealer pre-purchase inspection from a mechanical standpoint. But unfortunately the "rough around the edges" aspect, which I was prepared for to an extent, was just too rough and had too many edges.

I will keep looking and move on without regrets.

First experience feedback:

It drove more like a Lexus than a Benz. Not terrible or even off-putting mind you, but the light steering, silent cabin and nonexistent roll caught me off guard despite having read about it on numerous reviews. Nothing made it seem incapable, just a bit stale. Maybe this is how the other half live and I am just unaware

The advice on the rear seat was spot on. I was expecting grammar school age only and I'm not sure it would accommodate that, although I think the mid bench was extended full back when we raised the rears.

The headlight lenses were cloudy, the insert pieces below the LED DRL strips were badly faded and the interior just had those tell-tale signs of being owned by Barnum and Bailey or someone who had resources to burn. Sad really. Swirl marks all over the black pant, rock chips camouflaging an otherwise beautiful front clip. Too much. Made me wonder what other carelessness this rig experienced and the maintenance history provided was spotty at best.

I am disappointed because I was not expecting a rag but there were positives and I will keep up the search for another so that a proper personal ruling on this car can be considered and hopefully acquired. This example was just impossible to get serious with.

Thank again for all the help and forgive a guy for spilling all these unnecessary details but you all shared so I felt obliged to reciprocate.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What price point are you looking to hit? There are usually a few on CarGurus.com at just about any price level.

Grey
Old 08-20-2016, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I am on my 4th. Audi

I am a car guy and the usual fix is to get something new. I am a big Merc fan and have had a bakers dozen or so including several AMG's incl. a 2005 CL 55 AMG Designo super car. The only merc I had issues with was my ml55 amg and it was due to poor build quality and tech deficiencies in the design. I have had several Range Rovers as well but the older (RR Classics) lacked the power I prefer. I did almost buy a new RR when I got my 2012 Q7 but the Audi beat it out.
I have had an b5 A4 avant, b5 S4 avant and in europe a b5 rs 4 avant. The rs was the catalyst that made me look to the Q7 over the RR. I think audi is at the cutting edge of technology and refinement and I look forward to being able to order a new SQ7 when (if) they are released for sale in the US (2017/2018)
I love my current Q7 prestige and would recommending buying the highest end you can afford as the options offered are all incredible!