Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

MMI Malfunction - Shutting Down

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update - We Have A Module Issue

I dropped the Q7 off at the dealership on Friday evening for them to diagnose the issue causing the MMI to shut down.

The MMI was acting up when I arrived at the dealership, so the service consultant was able to document the current symptoms.

They performed a hard reset on Saturday and could not get the issues to occur; so they hoped it was fixed. But - to my service consultants credit, he was still uneasy about not really finding the root cause of the issue. With my permission he drove the Q7 home (40 minutes drive) over the weekend and still the issue did not recur, so on Monday 11/24 at 3:15 PM we agreed that I would pick up the Q7 that evening.

I got a call back from the service consultant at 4:20 saying that he took the Q7 to put gas in it for me, and low and behold - the MMI issue showed it's ugly head. This was great for them because they were finally able to recreate the exact issue at the time it occurred and were able to properly diagnose the cause.

The cause - a bad control module. I was told this was the 2nd 2015 MMI Nav Plus that had the same issue. Evidently Audi ended up with a bad lot of this particular module because they are on back order in Germany and it will take 2-3 weeks before we get any in the states. The service consultant is hoping to find one available at another dealership and get me taken care of sooner. Frankly, I am just happy they found the issue and we have a plan to fix it.

I picked up the Q7 and will deal with flakey MMI until they get the module in.

Serious KUDOS to Martin at Audi North Atlanta for being persistent in getting the issue properly identified.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's good news and hopefully will be the long-term cure for it.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:59 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm. Our 2015 is on a boat right now and should deliver to us in the next 10 days. I take it there was no mention of a service bulletin yet or other campaign action? Thanks for "discovering" the issue for us all - at least now we have something solid to point to if the same thing happens to ours right after delivery.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is a good customer service story now. I noticed when my car went in they picked up a few problems I didn't notice and fixed them. Very strong. And the audi care phone support has been superb so far.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JKJ
Hmm. Our 2015 is on a boat right now and should deliver to us in the next 10 days. I take it there was no mention of a service bulletin yet or other campaign action? Thanks for "discovering" the issue for us all - at least now we have something solid to point to if the same thing happens to ours right after delivery.
Glad to be the beta tester

No mention of service bulletin yet, although I'd imagine one will be issued once Audi has enough documented evidence of the symptoms and corrective action.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Latest Update - Still Malfunctioning

So, I got a call from the dealership on Monday that they were able to get the allegedly failing module in from another dealership. I dropped off the Q7 at 7:00 AM on Tuesday, Dec 2. I received a call from service advisor at 4:30 same day saying that they had replaced the 5F module and let the MMI run for 2 hours on AC power and that it seemed to function fine.

However, the service advisor did also state that Audi is concerned about the 2015 MMI issues and he asked me to pay close attention to exactly what functions I was performing if/when the MMI shuts down again. Best I can gather, this is a pretty widespread issue with 2015 and due to the nature of the problem they are having a hard time trapping any error codes, although it seems to happen in the fiber loop.

Anyway: less than 15 minutes after heading home from the dealership the MMI went dark. At that time I was running NAV and had recently turned on Google view and at the EXACT time the unit went dark I was attempting to change the Sirius channel from preview to a different station by using the steering wheel scroll button. I think the bottom line for testing is they actually need to be using different functions in order to cause the failure; simply letting it sit idol does not cause the fault.

I take Q back to dealership on Monday morning so they can take another look!

At what point do I request they replace the entire MMI?

Last edited by AtlantisBlue; 12-03-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

the mmi module is on nationwide bac-korder. it has to come directly from germany. about a month wait.

if they swapped anything it was another module from another 2015 but it sounds like they simply flashed the firmware and the same problem exists which it should since it sounds like a hardware issue not a software issue...
Old 12-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
the mmi module is on nationwide bac-korder. it has to come directly from germany. about a month wait.

if they swapped anything it was another module from another 2015 but it sounds like they simply flashed the firmware and the same problem exists which it should since it sounds like a hardware issue not a software issue...
I was initially quoted 2-1/2 weeks for the module to arrive from Germany. Evidently a dealership in New Jersey had the module and they transferred to my dealer Roswell, GA. My first thought was, if they have a module from the bad lot, then this will not work; but let them try.

My first chance to go back to dealership is Monday so I drop off at 7:00 AM Monday the 8th. But, I am going to call and ask if it makes sense to just wait until they get new modules in from Germany. It's 70 miles to the dealership so really do not want to continue making unnecessary trips.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

my module has been on backorder since election day and came in on monday... appointment is next week but haven't confirmed. i hope you didn't steal my part! lol.

the issue i am having is intermittent and completely random. it's not overheating but more like crashing. it reboots out of nowhere but only when doing anything navigation oriented.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, unless they can confirm manufacturing dates of the unit in your car v/s the one they are proposing to fit so you can be sure it's from a different batch.

Quick Reply: MMI Malfunction - Shutting Down