Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New to Q7

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Q7

Hi, I have just purchased a 2012 Q7 3.0 (245) S-Line Plus with 21" wheels and have already curbed two of my wheels!
With winter on its way I am looking to put winter tyres on.
Can anyone advise, from experience, what size wheels I should use in order to overcome the curbing issue and which tyres would be best?
Many thanks
David
Old 12-11-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry not an expert on winter tyres and wheel sizes..
But i'm guessing u are based in UK or Europe? I'ver had my Q7 for a year and the first day of owning it, i hit a kerb going in multi storey car park. £100 later the wheel was like brand new..
I'm now used to the width and driving the car, so i havent hit another one.. My A4 was just as bad, the tyres are so close to the edge of the alloys..

I'm now using Michelein tyres and they are doing well.. the first lot only lasted 7500 miles, but that was my fault, towing caravan and not pumping tyres up and setting suspensipn to low (this might be the reasons, not 100% sure)

Enjoy the Q7.. its a fun car to drive..
Dodge
Old 12-11-2014, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Dodge, thanks for the fast response.
I live on the outskirts of Salisbury in Wiltshire.
Thanks for the info, getting the wheel repaired later today (I hope)
Now to look for those winter tyres!
Regards
David
Old 12-11-2014, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had Audi's for over 20 years (all quattro) and in Warwickshire, I have never needed to switch over to winter tyres. I think that unless we get a particularly bad winter and you live in a rural area you are unlikely to need them either, especially if the tyre are good and have at least 5mm of tread.
If you do want to get a winter set of wheels I would suggest going for a cheap set of rims - probably 20" or even 18"or 19". Generally the best winter tyres are a lot narrower than all season tyres - probably going to something like a 245 from a 275 or 285.
The best choice is going to be what you can get hold of really - if you have a favourite tyre supplier go and ask them - there will probably only be a choice of about two types or so available.

I would find out about the tyres first then look for a set of rims in the right size. They can off a Touareg, Cayenne or Q7 - the stud spacing is the same for all but you may need longer or shorter bolts depending on the wheel design so make sure you get the correct ones with the rims if possible to save the hassle of getting hold of a set afterwards or make sure they are the same as you have already.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Many thanks Edd,
Good advice.
Regards
David
Old 12-11-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

do not use the 21" dedicated summer tires in the winter... you will slide off the road and you'll be a hazard to others. once the temperatures drop below 45-40 degrees (f) you will see your traction control light flicker every few miles. once there is a bit of snow or sleet the car is basically useless... do not be penny wise and pound foolish. saving money on a set of tires but risking damage to the vehicle or to pedestrians/drivers is not the best way to go about this.

there is a group buy thread started by a forum member. if you look up phil at detailersdomain you will find the thread it should be on the first or second page.

the 21" tires i went with are the pirelli scorpion dedicated winter tire. i used them in 16" of snow the other weekend and i did not have one issue. if you drop down in size to 20" and purchase a new set of wheels to go with the new tires i recommend the michelin and dunlop wintersport.

additional information may be found here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...tires-2870176/
Old 12-12-2014, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clynos1
Hi Dodge, thanks for the fast response.
I live on the outskirts of Salisbury in Wiltshire.
Thanks for the info, getting the wheel repaired later today (I hope)
Now to look for those winter tyres!
Regards
David
David,
I'm in Andover.. So very close to u..
As the snow isnt that bad here, i havent seen many people with winteer tyres on the Q7's.. Unless we get bad snow or u plan to travel to europe?

Did u get the reapir done?
Post up a pic of the beast..
Dodge
Old 12-12-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, Dodge,
Thanks for the advise.
I had Winter Tyres on my Mercedes ML 350 for a number of years, so I was going to do the same with the Q7!
I do a reasonable amount of mileage and towing (race cars) so I will probably go with 20" wheels and 275 / 45 - 20 tyres just to be on the safe side.
Audi Salisbury have some work to do on the car (Personalised Number Plate + Rear Bumper Film) so they will be getting the wheel repaired by 'their man' at the same time.
Picture to follow
Regards
David
Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

iconoclast, thanks for the advice.
As I said to Dodge, I will probably go with 20" wheels and 275/45/20 tyres
Regards
David
Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clynos1
Hi, Dodge,
Thanks for the advise.
I had Winter Tyres on my Mercedes ML 350 for a number of years, so I was going to do the same with the Q7!
I do a reasonable amount of mileage and towing (race cars) so I will probably go with 20" wheels and 275 / 45 - 20 tyres just to be on the safe side.
Audi Salisbury have some work to do on the car (Personalised Number Plate + Rear Bumper Film) so they will be getting the wheel repaired by 'their man' at the same time.
Picture to follow
Regards
David
David,
Make sure you check the wheel after repair.. Audi Basingstoke did mine and they get a man with a spray tin to fix it, it can look good, but the spray came of my wheel. So i paid for a proper place to refurb it..

Keep us updated and dont forget pics...
Dodge

Quick Reply: New to Q7