Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New Q7 owner - some general questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Q7 owner - some general questions.

After months of looking, I recently bought about 1 month ago a 2008 Audi Q7 4.2 Premium. Overall, extremely happy with the vehicle, its options, and accessories. These are some general questions I have that I could not find on forums or the owners manual.
1. The rear quarter panel glass has an antenna in each. What specifically is the left and right defroster looking antenna for?
2. There is a red blinking light on drivers door related to the factory alarm system. Is there any rhyme to the blinking or is blinking simply armed?
3. I plan on hard-wiring a non-Valentine radar detector. Can anyone tell me an exact fuse that they tapped into that is ignition based on either the left side or right side dash successfully with no ill side effects.
4. Vehicle has built in air suspension & compressor. Has anyone done an upgrade to compressor that that it can be used as a general compressor. My understanding is the drawer under the passenger seat has a hole / cap next to it that allows standard air line use like in the Porsche Cayenne - so factory parts should exist for use with our system. This would be very useful rather than trunk compressor or other ways.
5. Is there a way through VCDS or other way to set Navigation Map screen as default screen.
6. The vehicle has 23mm spacers on all 4 wheels. I double checked correct installation and lug length, and will probably check torque 1x per year. Anyways, has anyone noticed any disadvantages to spacers on the Q7.
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

You have a compressor next to your spare tire. As to other questions I have no clue. Might I ask how many miles and what you paid? I'm selling my 2008 Q7 S-Line 4.2 with 65,000 miles and trying to determine as sell price. Fully loaded like yours but with rear buckets and rear center console. Congrats on your purchase!
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2016, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I can answer a couple of these,

1.) That's the FM antenna, That's why it picks up stations from far far away, one of the best fm radios I've ever had in a car. AM antenna is in the roof spoiler and Sirius/XM is in the Aerial antenna which also houses the GPS.

2.) After about 30 seconds the system becomes armed and works like most other alarm systems. If you are leaving your Q7 parked for a longtime (In garage) don't lock it. I went on a trip in September for 3 weeks and left the Q7 locked in my garage, when I got back the battery was dead. (given it was still the original battery) The alarm system slowly depleted the battery. I have since replace the battery.

Congrats on your purchase.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by White Shark
You have a compressor next to your spare tire. As to other questions I have no clue. Might I ask how many miles and what you paid? I'm selling my 2008 Q7 S-Line 4.2 with 65,000 miles and trying to determine as sell price. Fully loaded like yours but with rear buckets and rear center console. Congrats on your purchase!
Where I'm located (NY) a Q7 like that would go for between $18k-$21k in the current market, but it's decreasing by the day as facelift models become cheaper with the release of the new generation. Keep in mind prices throughout the country are skewed. So someone in LA won't be getting the same deal as someone buying the 'same' car in NYC. With 65k miles you should have no trouble selling that at a bit of a higher price. Especially with all of the options. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2016, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Where I'm located (NY) a Q7 like that would go for between $18k-$21k in the current market, but it's decreasing by the day as facelift models become cheaper with the release of the new generation. Keep in mind prices throughout the country are skewed. So someone in LA won't be getting the same deal as someone buying the 'same' car in NYC. With 65k miles you should have no trouble selling that at a bit of a higher price. Especially with all of the options. Good luck!
Around here, you would likely get about 22-23K.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White shark - PM / email sent as to sales price. The compressor I want to use for air is the powerful one under the passenger seat that powers the air suspension and not the weaker tire inflation one. Both the cayenne and the touareg (with air suspension) have a compressed air connection under their passenger seat while using the exact same compressor. So I was looking for confirmation that their part numbers will work to upgrade our Q7's as such.

Still looking for answers to questions 3-6. Thanks all.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, keep your new Q from getting wet unless you have personally verified that the latest sunroof frame has been installed by Audi dealer. You MAY be OK after that.

I bought a creme puff garage queen2007 Q7 in 2012 with 55k, only to discover the sunroof leak issue after purchase. I checked my drains, and they seemed to work as designed. As of today, my Bose amp is fried from the leak that eventually happened, and I have other associatedelectrical issues that drain the battery.

Audi of America's response so far was to have me pay $3700 to get the car on the road again. I politely declined, and am rethinking my transportation requirements. My mission now is to help others with undisclosed VAG manufacturing defects.

Good Luck to you!

TM
Old 05-08-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It surprises me that there was never a recall for the sunroof drain issue... It seems like every 2007, 2008, 2009 model deals with a sunroof leak sometime in its life.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by D3Audi
It surprises me that there was never a recall for the sunroof drain issue... It seems like every 2007, 2008, 2009 model deals with a sunroof leak sometime in its life.
I won't deny that this is a common issue, but I wonder what percentage of owners of 07 to 09 owners have experienced this issue. I have an 08 with all service records that has not had this problem, and personally know 2 other owners, one that did (08) and one that didn't (07). I think this would be a good poll for an admin to create on top of this page.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. We have a 2011 that has served us well for 92000 miles. I did my hardwire RD install as you state from a fuse tap in the driver side fuse panel on it when we got it. Recently however I bought myself a 2015 S5 and I found descriptions of tapping power from the overhead console. I liked that much better due to the simple wire routing and the fact that I did not have to worry about routing a wire inside the A Pillar that might interfere with that air bag. Here is a link to a writeup on that. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...nsole-2804450/
Note that many report the V1 as being affected by Audi side assist and displaying lots of falses. I have two BEL 995s and the Audi's never bother them. GM SUVs DO however. You learn to look for one when you get an alarm (AFTER YOU CHECK YOUR SPEED :-) )

The NAV screen on my newer S5 DOES initiate on startup IF that was the last screen displayed at shut down. I too wish my Q7 did this but s of 2011 it still did not.

I'm not a fan of wheel spacers. Especially thicker ones like you have. Over the years doing track events I have seen wheel bolts loosen and wheels come off multiple times. Be vigilant.

Read up on cleaning sunroof drains. There are reports that they clog down in the fenderwell at the exit point when leaves and debris from above lodge there. There ARE also of course reports that the tubes fail and leak too. Again-- Be vigilant.

ENJOY We still love ours. (TDI and all) We have been all over the US in it showing grandsons our beautiful country and it's history. No plans to replace it anytime soon.