Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Pano Sunroof rear screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy to report that 10 days later after the dealer replaced the latch the shade has stayed latched, even after some bumpy roads I was on.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

One month after latch was replaced it is popping open occasionally. And no one has touched the latch.
So as another member here said it is probably a poor design in the first place.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry for the late reply on this one... I guess you got a new latch anyways surflj!

My son just opened it "by accident" this past weekend and I was careful to pay attention to what I did to fix it. Maybe this will help others, but I will hop in back and slide the shade slowly shut while pressing up. It makes a very distinct plastic "click" when the tab of the latch engages correctly. After doing it correctly, the shade will not open unless you squeeze the latch lever. I think it's an alignment issue... where the plastic "catch" piece is on;y partially hooking when you slide it shut normally.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you BuckarooBanzai for your reply.
Yes, i did get the latch replaced, at least according to the dealer, but it still opens. Was especially disturbing during a run out to Las Vegas last week in the 112 degree heat.
I will try your suggestion and see how that affects it, and report back here after awhile of usage.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I would use play around a bit, but when you do it right, it makes almost a snapping noise. The little plastic "lip" that holds it is simply too small. If you still have issues, maybe I'll video it! Good luck!
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Q is going back to the dealer for the second time to try to resolve the sunscreen opening issue.
BuckarooBanzai, I have tried what you suggested but could not seem to get it to distinctively "click" shut.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Here's some food for thought. My 4.2 has the original (as far as I know) latch. It works. My 3.6 had a broken latch when I bought it, I finally got around to replacing it with the 2009+ replacement part (both of mine are '07's). The damn thing will not stay shut. I kept blaming my 9.5 year old, because he likes looking for birds (hawks & eagles specifically, since we have quite a few around us). But, I could watch it pop open, or it was closed when I shut the car up and locked it, then it would be 1/4 to 1/2 open when I got back in hours later. Very annoying. Also required an apology to my kiddo.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
Here's some food for thought. My 4.2 has the original (as far as I know) latch. It works. My 3.6 had a broken latch when I bought it, I finally got around to replacing it with the 2009+ replacement part (both of mine are '07's). The damn thing will not stay shut. I kept blaming my 9.5 year old, because he likes looking for birds (hawks & eagles specifically, since we have quite a few around us). But, I could watch it pop open, or it was closed when I shut the car up and locked it, then it would be 1/4 to 1/2 open when I got back in hours later. Very annoying. Also required an apology to my kiddo.
cuatrokoop,
Do you think the latch from that 07 Q7 would fit to a 14 Q7?
Maybe that's the answer? My dealership service rep was apprised of the situation and will look into it before I get there on Tuesday. I mentioned to him about what I have learned from the thread on here.
I'll keep this thread in the loop as it moves forward (maybe that's the wrong words to use considering?)
Old 08-22-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Technically, there is only one replacement part number, which is the '09+ that I bought for my '07 3.6. I feel like I wasted $45. It comes with two latches (different colors) so I am going to try the black latch on the 3.6.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

cuatrokoop, Strange how the latch was sold as 2 pieces! Why not just sell one in the appropriate color and charge half? Audi?
My Q7 is in the shop for the second time on this. I will report back here as to the outcome.

Of note here, I sort of did what BuckarooBanzai suggested. When closing the shade when it is in place I kinda pulled down on the latch to help engage it. I did this a few days before bringing it in today and the shade stayed closed. I was tempted to cancel the app't for service but decided it just wasn't right, and there were a couple of other things as well so went ahead and brought it in.

Quick Reply: Pano Sunroof rear screen