Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Please Help with decision! ML350 vs GL450 vs Q7

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geng77
i've driven or owned just about all of the cars mentioned. i would vote for RR if you have $$$$. Q7 is probably one of the best looking SUVs out there but the ride is too harsh and crunchy for me compared to the other lux SUVs.
I love the RRS and would get that in a heartbeat...but there isn't much second row legroom. With the car seats being so big, it makes for little room for the kids. Both of them were able to touch the back of our seats...
I hate it though because it has the perfect mix of ride quality.

thanks though. Any other thoughts?
Old 05-27-2015, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

We extensively researched 3rd row SUVs and came close on the MDX but decided on the Q7 to replace an outgoing X5. I've also driven both the ML and GL and I can tell you that the Q7 is a much more performance oriented driver vs the others. Another X5 was not in question as our 08 had a lot of issues after 60k miles - we dumped it at 65k. The Q7 is a great long trip family hauler and much more comfortable than the X5. On the tech front, it's miles ahead of the X5 we turned in so I didn't feel we were lacking. That said, it's not the the tech level of my A8. Overall the Q7 is a great option and highly rated by most publications.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

We've had our 2014 ML350 BT for 1 year and 19k+ miles now and have been very happy with it - my daily driver is my A6, but always look forward to driving the ML. Have 2 kids (11 and 15) and find the ML to be a good size for a family of 4 - fits nicely between the Q5 and Q7. While I think the exterior of the Q7 still looks good, I think the interior looks dated compared to the ML/GL.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by audi40
While I think the exterior of the Q7 still looks good, I think the interior looks dated compared to the ML/GL.
I won't disagree with that statement, but my primary reason for driving a car is NOT how the interior "looks". It's how it drives and feels under my butt that's #1; and the Q7 is hands down better than the ML.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i don't feel the Q7 interior is dated (despite the fact that it is) because i like it's simple austere streamlined functionality. it was the main reason my chose it in the first place. everything is within arm's reach or where your fingers/hands naturally fall and the mmi is beyond intuitive where bmw and mb are still having a bit of an issue working out a proper GUI that can be quickly navigated.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
definitely not true with adaptive air suspension. even lowered and set in dynamic the vehicle rides better than standard shock/spring suspension.
Exactly. Adaptive Air is the way to go. I pretty much set mine based on the road (conditions) I am driving on. Dynamic for freeway/parkway/country road driving; Auto or Comfort for city driving.

My brother-in-law drives MB CLS550 AMG and commented on how smooth the Q7 rides.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
While I think the exterior of the Q7 still looks good, I think the interior looks dated compared to the ML/GL.
I am a geek by heart and trade and personally like the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) approach of the Audi interior. It is simply minimalistic, yet packs very powerful technology into an intuitive interface. No need for glitz and glitter when you're a natural beauty 💥
Old 05-28-2015, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by AtlantisBlue
Exactly. Adaptive Air is the way to go. I pretty much set mine based on the road (conditions) I am driving on. Dynamic for freeway/parkway/country road driving; Auto or Comfort for city driving.

My brother-in-law drives MB CLS550 AMG and commented on how smooth the Q7 rides.
Exact same scenario here although I am lowered 15mm front and 20mm rear.
No complaints at all and I get comments on the ride quality from passengers who get in expecting the worst because of 21" OEM wheels and lowered ride height. The best part about Dynamic mode on the highway is you can still take a turn at speed without having the vehicle list like a sailboat or a biker banking a turn. The occupants ride comfortably and the Driver gets to break of the monotony of a long journey with some spirited bursts through the twisties.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
Exact same scenario here although I am lowered 15mm front and 20mm rear.
No complaints at all and I get comments on the ride quality from passengers who get in expecting the worst because of 21" OEM wheels and lowered ride height. The best part about Dynamic mode on the highway is you can still take a turn at speed without having the vehicle list like a sailboat or a biker banking a turn. The occupants ride comfortably and the Driver gets to break of the monotony of a long journey with some spirited bursts through the twisties.
When driving mountain roads, my spouse constantly reminds me that we are not in a Lotus! 😊
Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

hahaha... (side note if you want a slight improvement in handling the cayenne turbo sway bars or the v12 q7 sway bars will improve the handling slightly for those with adaptive air suspension but in the end the negligble improvement is not worth the cost. if you have the standard plain jane suspension i would highly recommend upgrading the sways. throwing it out there since i did it on my first q7 and wanted to squeeze out every possible ounce as possible. i made a thread on here or QW with all the part numbers.)

Quick Reply: Please Help with decision! ML350 vs GL450 vs Q7