Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Brakes are Amazing

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Q7 Brakes are Amazing

Just posting to say how amazing the brakes are on the Q7... If it wasn't for the brakes on my Q7 I probably would have totaled it this morning. I was driving on a country highway and a car pulled out into my lane from a driveway and stopped on a the highway. I was cruising at about 60-65mph and when I realized what the guy did I pushed the brakes to the floor but I honestly didn't think I was gonna stop.. The brakes pulsated and I heard a slight screeching sound coming from my tires.. My hazard lights turned on.. And I came to a complete stop with about 5 feet to spare... Unbelievable, I truly believe if I was driving an American vehicle or Japanese vehicle with 'normal' brakes I would have destroyed that guys car... Also, that guy was driving a BMW, go figure.. Lol.. I love my Q7. Anybody else have similar experiences where the Q7's technology saved you from a crash?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Deer on mountain road darted out i was doing about 72mph or so and the vehicle came to a dead stop within 110-120 feet (guesstimating). The brakes on this vehicle are paired very well and I am glad they went with the same size for all four corners. The 4M Q7 receives much smaller calipers and rotors (they're not Brembo either) along with smaller rear set up. I understand the vehicle received a weight reduction but it is kind of small for an SUV. Very similar to the '16+ XC90.

Last edited by iconoclast; 12-03-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've had a similar experience in my A4. When pushed aggressively, the car REALLY hauls down in a hurry.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
Deer on mountain road darted out i was doing about 72mph or so and the vehicle came to a dead stop within 10-12 feet (guesstimating). The brakes on this vehicle are paired very well and I am glad they went with the same size for all four corners. The 4M Q7 receives much smaller calipers and rotors (they're not Brembo either) along with smaller rear set up. I understand the vehicle received a weight reduction but it is kind of small for an SUV. Very similar to the '16+ XC90.
Laughed hard on this one "doing 73mph on a mountain road", "stopped in 12 feet"...it did shed about 700 lbs from the previous incarnation, which has a HUGE impact on both stopping and acceleration. But it still weighs around 4,400 pounds, so would be amazing if this thing can stop in less than 110 feet, from 60mph.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman
Old 12-01-2015, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Deer on mountain road darted out i was doing about 72mph or so and the vehicle came to a dead stop within 10-12 feet (guesstimating). The brakes on this vehicle are paired very well and I am glad they went with the same size for all four corners. The 4M Q7 receives much smaller calipers and rotors (they're not Brembo either) along with smaller rear set up. I understand the vehicle received a weight reduction but it is kind of small for an SUV. Very similar to the '16+ XC90.
Deer are the worst, they pop out of no where and can do thousands of dollars of damage to your car. The 2007-2015 Q7 does indeed have Brembo brakes? I thought I've read that before but I wasn't sure if it was true.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Expert

yes, all 4L Q7 (First Generation) have large Brembo calipers which are more than adequate for this vehicle in stock form.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, all 4L Q7 (First Generation) have large Brembo calipers which are more than adequate for this vehicle in stock form.
Yes, I've always been impressed with the brakes. They almost make you forget how big and heavy the vehicle actually is! Thankfully, I haven't had to put them to a full-on avoidance manoeuvre like this story yet, but I've had some occasions to have to be pretty aggressive on the brakes and was impressed.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Breaks are definitely adequate for such a heavy car, though I seem to chew through rotors at an alarming and expensive rate. I try to be as light as I can on the brakes just for that reason. And I always feel like I am getting snowed when the dealer service dept. tells me I need new rotors so soon. I'll have to figure out how to measure for myself; can't be that hard...
Old 12-02-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

18k seems to be the average life for the pads and rotors however some have been able to get 20-24k out of them. i am not sure how.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AvantMore
Breaks are definitely adequate for such a heavy car, though I seem to chew through rotors at an alarming and expensive rate. I try to be as light as I can on the brakes just for that reason. And I always feel like I am getting snowed when the dealer service dept. tells me I need new rotors so soon. I'll have to figure out how to measure for myself; can't be that hard...
Here is a start from this video

Quick Reply: Q7 Brakes are Amazing