Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Pics from Detroit Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K2audi
No doubt the XC90 looks great...having owned an 06 I will never go back to Volvo. Volvo's build quality is not on par not to mention quattro is generations ahead of Volvo's Haldex system.

Plus, I happen to like the look of the new Q7 so the XC90 is a non-starter for me. The great thing about choice is we all get what we want and don't have to drive the same car as somebody else :-)
This is a good point that I think maybe gets glossed over. The Volvo's default AWD setup is FWD until a front wheel slips, then goes AWD. Torsen (most Audi Quattro models, except TT, A3, Q3) is AWD all the time because it is a directly linked differential drive system. Haldex utilizes an electromechanical clutch to send power to the rear axle once sensors "tell" the clutch pack to lock up to whatever degree.

I currently have vehicles of both AWD types and the Haldex actually works reasonably well in most cases, but it still hesitates relative to a Torsen system. For folks not seeing snow/ice, this difference will be less of a concern though.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

even the new xc90 will be a haldex style awd system?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iconoclast
even the new xc90 will be a haldex style awd system?
I read that in Car and Driver anyway....

" (Nonhybrid all-wheel-drive XC90s use a conventional, driveshaft-havin’ Haldex four-wheel-drive system that shuffles power to the rear when front-axle slip is detected.)" from this article- Volvo XC90 Reviews - Volvo XC90 Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER see "Full Review"

I suppose C&D could have it wrong, but the Volvo cars site is pretty non-specific about the actual mechanicals of the AWD system. Most of the Euro mfrs are tripping over themselves to reduce CO2 and/or increase mileage, and your typical Haldex should yield better mpg, at least in theory, so I can see why they'd want to use it. Particularly if they are willing to push a 4400 lb vehicle with a 2.0T 4 cyl as their only gas engine.

Haldex vs. Torsen wouldn't be a deal breaker for me personally though. If I had a long up hill driveway (here in the snow belt) I might be more concerned as the Haldex probably has to work harder to keep the AWD system in grip and that they do call for more frequent fluid changes in some models. For typical snow/ice driving, I bet only enthusiasts would really notice the difference.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

damn... same here... that interior better be insanely impressive otherwise i am losing interest.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Now that it looks like I can't get a 2016 until next year, I started looking at a 24 month lease for a 2015, and I simply don't want to get the exact same car for another two years.

What are the best alternatives to the Q7?
Old 02-24-2015, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

RRS & X5. Touareg as well but the way you can build them now they're priced just a few thousand away from Q7...
Old 02-26-2015, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the front grill looks like hyundai

Old 02-26-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks the least hideous in Daytona Grey, which is my color of choice. The exterior is still unforgivably ugly though, IMHO...

Group think issues at Audi's design team?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knepster
Here is a real looker...

Hands down best SUV for 2015...

Let the rebuttals begin...

#NAIAS: Has Volvo's XC90 EVER Looked THIS Good? REAL-LIFE Shots Of The R-Design Front And Center - AutoSpies Auto News
Purchased a Q7 in 2011 and father-in-law purchased an XC-90. Driven about the same number of miles. His XC-90 is a rattling mess and feels like it is 10+ years old when you drive it. My Q7 still feels solid and drives the same as the day I drove it off the lot. Hopefully the 2nd gen XC-90 has better build quality and durability than the truck that it's replacing.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f1point0
Purchased a Q7 in 2011 and father-in-law purchased an XC-90. Driven about the same number of miles. His XC-90 is a rattling mess and feels like it is 10+ years old when you drive it. My Q7 still feels solid and drives the same as the day I drove it off the lot. Hopefully the 2nd gen XC-90 has better build quality and durability than the truck that it's replacing.
Volvo's rattling mess is a premeditated engineering design so that in a sudden impact, the car will break apart in a systematic fashion to protect the driver and its occupants.

On a serious note, I am surprised at the quality of the brand but on the other hand, I forgot Volvo sourced out their XC90 manufacturing to Thailand. Volvo as a company was sold by Ford Motor Co to the Chinese. Recall that comment during my trip to Sweden 4 years ago.

Quick Reply: Q7 Pics from Detroit Auto Show