Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it starts right up when you jump start it then it could be something that is draining the battery slowly over time. Maybe a relay, a switch, or even a door handle with keyless entry for example. If your able to, try removing some fuses to non essential components and see what results you get. Just a suggestion and probably something I'd try.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B490MTL
Possible the battery is bad, you should still have a remainder of warranty on it so have it tested to see if it's the culprit.
The battery is brand new mate, i had it replaced about 6 weeks ago, for the first couple of weeks it was fine but then the problem came back again
Old 04-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SoCalQ7TDI
If it starts right up when you jump start it then it could be something that is draining the battery slowly over time. Maybe a relay, a switch, or even a door handle with keyless entry for example. If your able to, try removing some fuses to non essential components and see what results you get. Just a suggestion and probably something I'd try.
Hi, i'll try and give that a go. If i take it back to the garage that put the battery in for me and coded it, could he clear any codes/faults that come up and will that solve my problem or is it a case of the faults will come back again?
Old 04-14-2015, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wajidali
The battery is brand new mate, i had it replaced about 6 weeks ago, for the first couple of weeks it was fine but then the problem came back again
Still possible the battery is bad, happens more often then you think, especially if its an aftermarket.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the shop was able to code your new battery via the VAG-Com then I'm quite certain they'll be able to perform a full scan and read any codes that are stored. Clearing the codes itself will most likely not solve the problem but it will lead you in the right direction as far as indicating what could be failing and possibly draining the battery, if that is the case. Once the codes are cleared, if/when the problem happens again, have the shop do another full scan to see if there is a code that keeps coming up. Hopefully that'll get you closer to your issue. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SoCalQ7TDI
If the shop was able to code your new battery via the VAG-Com then I'm quite certain they'll be able to perform a full scan and read any codes that are stored. Clearing the codes itself will most likely not solve the problem but it will lead you in the right direction as far as indicating what could be failing and possibly draining the battery, if that is the case. Once the codes are cleared, if/when the problem happens again, have the shop do another full scan to see if there is a code that keeps coming up. Hopefully that'll get you closer to your issue. Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you very much mate
Old 04-15-2015, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, he should be able to clear the codes but that will not in itself cure the fault, it simply means that you have a clear record of faults so you know you are not looking for a fault which occurred before the new battery was fitted.
If the problem continues, which it probably will, have the faults downloaded again and then work from there because they should point towards the actual problem.
It may well be a faulty alternator or charging circuit.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
Yes, he should be able to clear the codes but that will not in itself cure the fault, it simply means that you have a clear record of faults so you know you are not looking for a fault which occurred before the new battery was fitted.
If the problem continues, which it probably will, have the faults downloaded again and then work from there because they should point towards the actual problem.
Thanks mate
Old 04-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey mate - Had a similar issue on my 2--7 4.2 V8 when I had it. Days of no issue, then just dead and a jump would do it. Its gonna sound crazy but i had water seeping into the back where the Bose amp is from the sunroof lines. Thats water was shorting things out, drian the battery then dry up. I ended up forking out 1200 for a new bose amp and seal the drains. No more drained battery. I'd check for water in the spare wheels well too.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi batery coding

Originally Posted by Edd W
​​​​​###Remember coding the batery wont safe the data when theres still other error codes on ecu all errors must be cleared and be scanned again to make sure theres no errors then you can code the batery and it will be done, go back and in to batery matching click on mathing batery it will read out the saved batery item no make and serial no. Then if its the new baterys detail click on abort and exit then only it is properly matched or coded corectly.

Quick Reply: Q7 starting Problems