Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q7 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q7 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 288416

Default Q7 TDI or gas and why

I'm trying to decide between a 2011 Q7 3.0t with 43k miles or a 2012 Q7 TDI with 49k miles. It will be my first luxury SUV. Both are CPO and both have premium plus pkg. I drive mostly in the city about 65 miles a day to and from work and shuttling kids. Which Q7 is your preference and why?
Memel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 20532

Diesel is generally for long hauls, highway driving, road trips etc. If you're mileage is mainly comprised of city driving and commuting the benefits of diesel would be marginal and depending on your area the price of diesel may be more than the standard gasoline.

What is the price difference in the two? (Asking price. Not negotiated price.)
Old 08-13-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Diesel is generally for long hauls, highway driving, road trips etc. If you're mileage is mainly comprised of city driving and commuting the benefits of diesel would be marginal and depending on your area the price of diesel may be more than the standard gasoline.

The 2011 gas is $41,500 and the 2012 TDI is $45,900.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:13 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169569

The diesel is probably a better deal in terms of $$.

What is the difference in fuel costs in your area (diesel vs. premium gas) ?

Do you tend to keep vehicles a long time? Would you keep the TDI beyond the CPO term?

uberwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 AM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 136464

Recommend the TDI for better city/highway mileage and nice torque off the line which obviously negates the better mileage .... lol. I don't buy my cars based on mpg results.

Any incremental pricing over the regular gas version usually pays for itself if you plan on keeping the TDI longer.

2013 Audi S6, Phantom, 20", Innovation, CW, Full LED, Carbon Fiber, Sunshades, Rear Airbags, Black headliner (Delivery - Jan 5, 2013)
2010 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige, Orca, 20", CW, Rear Airbags, Tow Package, InVision Entertainment
2008 Audi S5 V8, Brilliant, Manual, Nav Plus, Tech Package, B&O, Carbon Fiber - SOLD Nov '12
2003 Infiniti FX35 - Black, AWD, 20", Xenons, LED Tails, Nav Package, Rear DVD Entertainment, Adaptive Cruise Control

2001 BMW X5 - Silver - SOLD
2000 Audi A4 - Silver - SOLD
1998 BMW E39 M5 - Carbon Black, MT, Xenons - SOLD
1997 BMW E36 M3, Sapphire Black, Auto, 4-door - SOLD
1996 BMW E36 M3, Avus Blue, MT - SOLD
1995 BMW E36 M3, Dakar Yellow, MT - SOLD
1994 BMW 525i - SOLD
1992 BWW 323i - SOLD
s5blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 129905

Just got a 2012 for the wife (3.0T) not bad I must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5blitzer View Post
Recommend the TDI for better city/highway mileage and nice torque off the line which obviously negates the better mileage .... lol. I don't buy my cars based on mpg results.

Any incremental pricing over the regular gas version usually pays for itself if you plan on keeping the TDI longer.
philaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 288462

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post

Does the gas engine not require Premium fuel (91 Octane)? If so, the difference in price should be negligible. I would think TDI would be much better in the long run in terms of resale value.
Dhaval Brahmbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, the price diff at the pump is negligible. The city mpg diff is only 1 mpg, so that seems negligible too. I am a little heavy footed, which doesn't help..lol. Sounds like TDI will have better resale. If I start having problems close to the CPO expiration,
I'll get rid of it. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm having a case of analysis paralysis. The in service date difference is only 4 months between the two cars. The gas is black metallic (orca I think) and the diesel is a dark grey metallic. I am partial to the black.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 52139

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5blitzer View Post
I don't buy my cars based on mpg results.
One of the advantages of the TDI is greater range (fewer stops to fill up) - more important to many of us than greater MPG. Thus about 25% of Q7 are purchased with TDI engines.
'91 911 C4
perlfather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 20532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhaval Brahmbhatt View Post
Does the gas engine not require Premium fuel (91 Octane)? If so, the difference in price should be negligible. I would think TDI would be much better in the long run in terms of resale value.
depends on the area... in some states it is cheaper than 93 in others it is more... unfortunately i am in one of the areas that generally there is a .10-.20c premium over shell93 v-power. the last time i filled up 93 was 4.539 and diesel was 4.739. i owned a v10 touareg when prices were insane and while it was relatively good on fuel for a 10 cylinder it still pinched a bit when i had to refill a 26gallon tank at just about $5 a gallon.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement