Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear Hatch Won't Close

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Won't Close

2010 Q7 3.0 TDI. Rear hatch closed just fine on two different occasions this AM, but the 3rd time it goes fully closed, bounces and pulls back a few inches from fully closed - like it is hitting something when the latch tries to close.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my A4 Avant, sometimes the toggle that goes through the loop to lock the trunk hatch, would be incorrectly toggled in the lock position with the hatch open. If you try to close the door, you hear a horrible thud because the door lock mechanism is hitting the toggle in the closed position. You have to use your finger to force the toggle into the correct "open" position, away from the loop (it's hard to describe this without pictures, but the loop that I'm talking about is the part of the lock mechanism that is on the trunk bed, and not on the door itself). When you move the toggle out of the way it should click into the open position and stay that way. At least that is how it worked on my A4 Avant.

I have a Q7 now, but this hasn't happened on that vehicle yet so I haven't had a reason to look at the lock mechanism of the trunk there. My whole description above could be a moot point if they changed it.

Good luck...
Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No thud. The door closes completely and I can hear the latch try to engage, but it doesn't. As a result, the door springs back open about 8-12".
Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f1point0
On my A4 Avant, sometimes the toggle that goes through the loop to lock the trunk hatch, would be incorrectly toggled in the lock position with the hatch open. If you try to close the door, you hear a horrible thud because the door lock mechanism is hitting the toggle in the closed position. You have to use your finger to force the toggle into the correct "open" position, away from the loop (it's hard to describe this without pictures, but the loop that I'm talking about is the part of the lock mechanism that is on the trunk bed, and not on the door itself). When you move the toggle out of the way it should click into the open position and stay that way. At least that is how it worked on my A4 Avant.

I have a Q7 now, but this hasn't happened on that vehicle yet so I haven't had a reason to look at the lock mechanism of the trunk there. My whole description above could be a moot point if they changed it.

Good luck...

this happened to my wife with one of the passenger doors on day 2 of ownership of my Q7. she was able to get it to close in the manner you described but she then drove it to the dealer who of course saw nothing wrong....hasnt happened since tho

not sure about Dutch's hatch...sounds like the latching mechanism is failing?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
2010 Q7 3.0 TDI. Rear hatch closed just fine on two different occasions this AM, but the 3rd time it goes fully closed, bounces and pulls back a few inches from fully closed - like it is hitting something when the latch tries to close.

Any thoughts?
Haven't checked if this works the same way on my 2012 Q7 S-line, but on my BMW X5 the rear hatch has a couple of adjustable rubber stops on either side that control how "tightly" the hatch needs to close to latch. Too loose and the hatch rattles when latched. Too tight and it won't latch (or doesn't latch every time). Worth checking.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dutch
I had exact problem you are having with my Q7, it is an easy fix.

There is sand or dirt in the locking mechanism (not the one in the door but the striker in the middle of the floor above the rear bumper.

You need to remove the silver looking cover to expose it, then remove it and clean and lubricate until it moves freely, this is the part that pulls in the hatch the last inch or so.

Let me know if you need more info or a pic of the mechanism.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by xlr8it
Hi Dutch
I had exact problem you are having with my Q7, it is an easy fix.

There is sand or dirt in the locking mechanism (not the one in the door but the striker in the middle of the floor above the rear bumper.

You need to remove the silver looking cover to expose it, then remove it and clean and lubricate until it moves freely, this is the part that pulls in the hatch the last inch or so.

Let me know if you need more info or a pic of the mechanism.
Thanks. That makes good sense, as I just had some very dirty yard trash in the back that could have dropped down in there. Also, I broomed out the debris, so some must have fallen into that striker opening.

Looks like I have a job to do tomorrow.

Now I just need to figure out how to remove that silver trim piece. Thanks again.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 09-23-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well I removed the striker and its helper motor, cleaned and lubed it, and replaced it. Still no go.

If I press against the door when it's closing, I can hear the helper motor moving in there, but the latch does not hold to the striker; and it pulls back.

I'm beginning to think it's the latching mechanism in the door. Since it's still under warranty (25k miles and 17 months), I'm going to let the dealer's service have a go at it. Hopefully, they won't screw it up.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear that.
hope the dealer will sort it out for you.
Let us know wheat the problem was.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had the same problem with our '11 TDi. Dealer spent two weeks trying to figure out the cause, never did and then just started replacing parts in a trial and error process. Eventually the problem went away but I don't think they ever isolated the cause.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Won't Close