Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear suspension stuck up, air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension stuck up, air suspension

Ok today out the blue my rear suspension has shot up to Max height. My front is moving through all cycle's it should do but Tue rear just stay's fully up.

I have gone under the car tonight and removed both rear air compressor pipes, there is no leaks of air at all. I then to prove a point did the same on the tank and front sus. The front fully deflated down to the bump stops .

Is there a valve on the shocks themselves? What is this called?

I am calling my local Audi tomorrow so need to have a idea of what I'm asking for.

TIA
Mike
Old 02-20-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wiggle your height sensor connectors too, might be a bad signal.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Tried that, disconnected both drop link's gave them a good wiggle and nothing. going to get it connected to a code reader today.

Any thoughts on the strut valves
Old 02-21-2015, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Q7 doesn't have the air suspension but my allroad did. The valve block usually doesn't fail but I could still be wrong on that, maybe the load feature to lower the rear has gone bezerk... Once you get codes I'm sure it will clear up the problem.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had this issue, had to replace a single valve on the left hand side (rear somewhere). According to the dealer I should probably replace the right one as well as they usually go at the same time.

(According to the same dealer my compressor was also shot, even though it has recently been replaced - I´m not replacing it though as my air suspension has never worked this well before after replacing said valve.)

EDIT: Yes, from memory the valve was on the shock / strut itself, and the dealer called it a "holding valve". I could get you the part number if you really need it but it should be easy to find.

Last edited by NorthernQ7; 02-21-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My guess is one of the rear levels sensors.

It locks out if it sees an implausible signal from one and yours could have reported it was way too low so raised the height as far as it could.

Need codes initially....
Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have got the valves I have bought two. So will get them strapped on this week sometime and report back.

How did you find out which side was locked?

Cheers
Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike88kennedy
I have got the valves I have bought two. So will get them strapped on this week sometime and report back.

How did you find out which side was locked?

Cheers
Hi,

If you are referring to my post then it was my dealer who found this out for me, by troubleshooting I guess.

Cheers!
Old 02-03-2016, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There are residual holding valves on all four air struts. Thy are the cylindrical brass fitting that the air line plugs into. You can easily test if the valve is bad by either disconnecting the air lines, one by one, either at the residual holding valve or the valve block (by the compressor) If they still do not lower then you have bad residual holding valves. You can buy them for about 40 Eu each and are very easy to replace. The fronts are very easy and the rears require you to remove the strut. I took out both rears on my 2007 Q7 in under 30 min the first time. Audi has a special tool to remove these but I used vice grips very lightly as they are not torqued down very tight. They have o-ring seals so they don't require much force to stay on. They are notorious for corroding at the threads so be careful not to damage the strut or you will need a whole new one.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

When you guys say get the codes and it should clear up, what exactly do u mean?

Quick Reply: Rear suspension stuck up, air suspension