Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Starting Q7 TDI in the Cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Q7 TDI in the Cold

Is there something I should be doing to engage the glow plugs? Currently, I just push the start button and go. There are no issues but I'm just wondering if I'm supposed to be using the glow plugs for 2-3 seconds. If the answer is yes, how do you do that?
Old 02-16-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the ignition on and wait for the glow plug light (looks like DNA helix) to go out then start:

Glow Plug Question - TDIClub Forums
Old 02-16-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Q7 will automatically detect if glows plugs are needed or not and turn them on if necessary.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian Lurker
The Q7 will automatically detect if glows plugs are needed or not and turn them on if necessary.
Plus, it also determines how long the glow plugs should glow before turning the engine. Colder = longer delay before the engine turns; although it's much shorter than with the old pre-common rail diesels. The piezo fuel injectors do not require as much heat for the fuel to ignite.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find in my Q7 that if i jump in the car and immediately hold down the START button, the car on cold mornings takes forever to start.

So now i tap the button once, so the dash lights up, wait 2 seconds for the glowplug light to go out, then i press and hold the start button to start the car. Doing it this way, for me anyway, starts the car effortlessly.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can get -35 here and mine never has a problem
The following users liked this post:
Edzzed (09-03-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 249 Likes on 213 Posts

Reviving old threads again....

Can folks confirm that the 2014 engine does, in fact, have glow plugs? I read conflicting reports out there regarding the presence of these little buggers, and the car starts equally fast in any temperature down to and including -45. I'm curious because I read something related to the P03A5 error code, "Cylinder 2 Pressure Too High," that indicated the glow plug could be going bad and creating an erroneous reading. I'd like to just get a new set and replace them all at the same time.

As I noted several days ago in another thread, I am getting intermittent P03A5 codes, "Cylinder 2 Pressure Too High." It always (and only) happens after I am driving it on the highway at high speeds for a sustained period of time, then I drop off the throttle for some reason (such as taking an exit or slowing for traffic ahead of me). Sometimes I will go thousands of miles without a recurrence, and sometimes less than a hundred. Doesn't happen in local stop/go. Doesn't seem to happen first thing in the morning.

I notice no issues with the engine operation at all during these times. Seems odd to me that a glow plug or a fuel injector would also include a sensor that can read cylinder pressure, but it seems that it must be one of these two that is the source of my woes. I don't have any reason to believe that the pressure is actually too high in the cylinder, so I think that it's just a sensor going bad.

Approximately 134,500 on the car now. Any feedback appreciated.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by -Wes-
Reviving old threads again....

Can folks confirm that the 2014 engine does, in fact, have glow plugs? I read conflicting reports out there regarding the presence of these little buggers, and the car starts equally fast in any temperature down to and including -45. I'm curious because I read something related to the P03A5 error code, "Cylinder 2 Pressure Too High," that indicated the glow plug could be going bad and creating an erroneous reading. I'd like to just get a new set and replace them all at the same time.

As I noted several days ago in another thread, I am getting intermittent P03A5 codes, "Cylinder 2 Pressure Too High." It always (and only) happens after I am driving it on the highway at high speeds for a sustained period of time, then I drop off the throttle for some reason (such as taking an exit or slowing for traffic ahead of me). Sometimes I will go thousands of miles without a recurrence, and sometimes less than a hundred. Doesn't happen in local stop/go. Doesn't seem to happen first thing in the morning.

I notice no issues with the engine operation at all during these times. Seems odd to me that a glow plug or a fuel injector would also include a sensor that can read cylinder pressure, but it seems that it must be one of these two that is the source of my woes. I don't have any reason to believe that the pressure is actually too high in the cylinder, so I think that it's just a sensor going bad.

Approximately 134,500 on the car now. Any feedback appreciated.
Yes, all TDI's have glow plugs...as mentioned in this thread prior, the car assesses multiple factors in determining whether to utilize the glow plugs and for exactly how long to preheat the cylinders prior to allowing the starter motor to engage. Whether you turn the key or push the start button, the car is going to assess and run it's normal set of checks prior to allowing the engine to turn over. Related to the emissions scandal, one of the items that got installed as part of the 'fix' is cylinder pressure sensors, which are incorporated into the glow plugs assembly.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 249 Likes on 213 Posts

Thanks for the reply! Any ideas on the proper part number for these? I can’t find any details related to such. I suspect buying the OEM glow plugs on ECS Tuning wouldn’t cut it.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by -Wes-
Thanks for the reply! Any ideas on the proper part number for these? I can’t find any details related to such. I suspect buying the OEM glow plugs on ECS Tuning wouldn’t cut it.
It's an interesting question that you can chat with ECS directly about, but you can also just go look up the part #'s for a direct comparo on an Audi parts site, or simply call an Audi dealer parts counter to get the part#, then do an internet search to see who has it for the best pricing. You can also read the description details/specs for the part on ECS or any parts site, which should help with your understanding. Be sure to check out FCP Euro, as I find they are often less expensive than ECS, carry OE/OEM parts, and provide a lifetime warranty/free shipping, etc., etc.

Quick Reply: Starting Q7 TDI in the Cold