Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Sunroof leak on 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update...

Picked up my Q7 yesterday from the dealer for the sunroof drain replacement. Everything seems to be back to normal after some rain overnight. No leaking.

But of course, there was another surprise. Service rep tells me that when they went to replace a malfunctioning TPMS in the front right tire, they realized it was not an OEM part, but a part made by ITM. Could not cover it under warranty and cost me $170. Not happy at all with that.

If anything else on this CPO goes bad and is not covered under warranty, looks like I'm going to shop around online and do the work myself. Very frustrating.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello all,

I just purchased an MY07 Q7. It came without the amp since the dealer had it send out for repair. I got it a view days later and put the puzzle back together since the expert mechanics had ripped out all electronic components in the right rear corner.

Anyhow, back to the leak issue. It seems to be a major problem on these vehicles. When I came home with my new toy I had 1.5" of water around the spare wheel. I started a search and found the root cause quickly, the right rear drain hose of the sunroof.

I pulled the hose out and did a thorough inspection. The drain hole in the sunroof frame and the hose itself where all clear of debris, no blockage at all. So I had a closer look. The actual connector that is glued to the hose is the problem. A perfect glue weld would be 360°, mine was only 330°. I think these roofs are made by “Webasto” and I know that there warranty issues on these are so to say to the roof. Less than 5c of glue fixed that problem. No more water in the amp.

My car had that leak for many years and it looked like nobody ever got to the root cause, even at the AUDI dealership, very sad sad sad.

Ciao

Werner
Old 01-29-2015, 12:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not a factory recall?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had all these things on our 07 , they replaced the drains in the front , then the back , still didn't fix the problem, still leaked, the sun roof framed need to be replaced to the updated style before it stopped leaking. I was lucky because when they started the repair the car was under warrantee and my dealer warrantee'd the repair for 12 months so they had to fix it. took almost 9 months before it was fixed, so what happens is water gets on the amp and either it shorts it out right away or it takes a year or so before you start to get corrosion on the board in the power amp. water drips inside. last summer our amp stopped working 2 years or more after the sun roof was fixed. So I took the amp out and had one of our lab techs look at the board and he found a few corroded solder joints preventing the amp from working , he cleaned the board and re-solder the joints and it started working again, so I'm guessing a lot of these amps are out there that only need the joins resoldered. there is a company in UK that will sell you a refurbished amp and you have to send your core. it' still expensive. but if you can take the amp out yourself take it apart and look at it with a scope you can fix it. I have a extra amp now that a repair shop gave me that we were going to fix but nothing has to done to it yet. not sure what condition it's in. that will be my spare.