Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

What's the fate of the Q7 as it ages?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What's the fate of the Q7 as it ages?

A question I have been asking myself for awhile now. Will the Q7 become an enthusiast's car like the C5 Allroad was? Or will Q7's be forgotten and neglected like many of the early 2000's A4's and A6's that are found on craigslist nowadays.

The 4L Q7 was only replaced last model year, but 2007/2008 models can be had for under $10k now.. The Q7 has been my favorite car since 2006, it worries me because the Q7 doesn't really have a big following like the Allroad did. I always figured once 07-09 models depreciated enough, More enthusiasts would purchase them. It's going the opposite direction. I'm seeing thugs purchase them and put big 26" rims on them. Makes me sick.

What does everyone think? What will the average VAG enthusiast's mindset of the Q7 be in about another 5-10 years? Will the Q7 be one of those neglected, forgotten vehicles? Only time will tell.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

As a C5 owner since 2005, a good bit of the attraction is that a set of Hotchkiss ARBs and a stage I tune transform the car. Drop a few thousand more and one can tune the snot of out it, going from soccer mom station wagon to stealth Porsche killer with well over 400hp. Buy a VagCom, now you have a slammed Porsche killer that can be readily turned back into a ski wagon with that same VagCom, the air suspension and a set of snow tires/wheels. It's a chameleon.

As an SUV the Q7 is less chameleonic. It's still quite tuneable, especially the gas engines and the air suspension is hackable as well. But it's still an SUV that's a good bit more expensive. As an example, there's plenty of stereo install threads in the A6 family posted online in various forums, but none for the Q7 (that I could find). As someone else said, it's just more of a grownup car.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayhawk94
As an example, there's plenty of stereo install threads in the A6 family posted online in various forums, but none for the Q7 (that I could find).
How about you change that JayHawk and show us your system when you're done...

Grey
Old 04-15-2016, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I guess that's the truth. When the Q7 first came out in 2006 I figured it would be the next Allroad. I think Q5 will be more of an enthusiast car. Solely because it's based on the B8 A4, so there's lots of upgrades for it. The MKII A3 will also be an enthusiast car as it depreciates, it's because it's similar to a replacement car for the the B5 A4 days. The Q7 is very cool but it seems like all SUVs aren't popular, unless it's a Range Rover. There is barely any aftermarket parts available for the Q7 too, other Audi models are full of aftermarket accessories. It's still a really good vehicle. I love mine.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like our Q7, but do not believe it, nor the Q5, will ever be an enthusiast car. It's not super rare or cool, nor super fast like a X5 4.8is. Not that it's a bad car, though.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by D3Audi
What does everyone think?
considering the fact that demo 4M Q7 have already come up for sale and are in the mid-fifties for plain jane and low mid sixties for prestige the near term prediction for the 4L models is further depreciation. the TDI i believe will be the best bet in terms of resale and price stability. it is a rare combination and despite the "scandal" looming it is a vehicle that is versatile and very hard to compete with from other brands. the 2010 4.2L Prestige S-Line is a very rare vehicle but a buyer for it is even more rare so while it may command a premium you'll be hard pressed to find a buyer in a short period of time. so my prediction is that the 4M will eventually grow on people especially after a facelift and while the 4L has the more traditional and better styling (IMO) it will fall out of favor. i cant imagine someone seeking out a 2015 Q7 in 2020/2025 and willing to pay a premium for it. these are vehicle that were created to a daily tool not a collector car and unfortunately judging by used ones listed thats exactly what they were purchased for.

if you want collectible or desirable suv look into 2004 Discovery, LR 90/110, LR4 V8. these vehicles have appreciated in value dramatically and more sought after today than when they were new.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Greystoke
How about you change that JayHawk and show us your system when you're done...

Grey
It's been at the audio installers in the Springs for over a week and I should have it back sometime late next week. Part of the time is a full clear bra on the bumper/headlights/hood/sideview mirrors/A-frames/front of roof. The rest is the stereo. I mentioned to them at least a couple times that nobody's documented a full Q7 install so I'm hopeful they shot several pics. If not, there won't be too much to see as it's to be a stealth install. Just did a quick check of their Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/ArchitectsOfFidelity
Scroll down to their April 11th post - that one's mine. Nothing there yet but a video of the B&O tweeter coming up so I guess just check back there later this week.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

iconoclast, I fear you're right. When the Q7 came out in 2006 it was cool because it was made by Audi and was an SUV, and SUVs weren't THAT popular in 06. Now the market is saturated with them. I feel that the 4L Q7 will slowly be forgotten and end up on Craigslist with 200k+ miles for a low price. Just like every B5 A4 and C5 A6 is today. If only the 2017 Q7 looked similar to the 4L just like how the B9 A4 looks like the B8 A4 with a facelift. I'm sure the new Q7 will grow on everyone eventually.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

The q7 will never be worth anything that's why I'm driving the crap out of our's with the sport pack to boot
Old 04-19-2016, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

what the hell is going on with the used pricing on 2017 Q7?
low mileage units have presented themselves with substantial reduction in price.
considering these vehicles were only available as of january i am curious why there are so many "used" ones up for sale so quickly:

2017 Audi Q7 for Sale in Great Neck, NY 11020 - Autotrader[AUDI[Q7[]][]]&modelCode1=Q7&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=42 5248508&showcaseOwnerId=68950&startYear=2017&Log=0

Quick Reply: What's the fate of the Q7 as it ages?