Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Winter is Coming ….

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

definitely should not be an issue if you had the same set up in the cayenne...
Old 11-21-2014, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I ended up getting snows for the Q7 put on today and I'm a bit surprised at how squishy they feel, though I've never had snows on a vehicle this heavy.

I know they should feel a bit squirmy- can anybody comment if directional hunting and seemingly constant vagueness at freeway speeds pretty par for the course? These are Blizzaks in the recommended 20" stock wheel fitment.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

mounted backwards? alignment?

unless you have above average temperatures for winter currently the ride should be quite similar to what you had on before.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VAG-Fan1
I know they should feel a bit squirmy- can anybody comment if directional hunting and seemingly constant vagueness at freeway speeds pretty par for the course? These are Blizzaks in the recommended 20" stock wheel fitment.
With the proper tire pressure you should feel no difference whatsoever. Were they mounted correctly in terms of directionality?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldS4Fart
With the proper tire pressure you should feel no difference whatsoever. Were they mounted correctly in terms of directionality?
That's a good point. I mentioned this to the service writer (directional mount) and he said the techs always check for that, but I haven't verified that on every wheel yet.

For some reason, they did set the pressures to the DOT sticker max (44 and 49), which I know has been a topic of regular debate. Today I plan on dropping these down to 43 psi at all 4 corners- Bridgestone recommends 42 psi minimum on this fitment, according to Tirerack anyway.

This may just be my perception of what is normal too- I haven't done the snow tire routine for probably 5 years, but up to that point I ran them on several A4s I had which were lighter vehicles relative to the Q7.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I have to throw my two cents in. We don't get a lot of snow in Southern Washington but when we do, it's an absolute mess. Also, we live at about 1500' so we can get some snow even when it's raining at sea level. Then there is always trips to Mt. Hood and Central Oregon for skiing. In any case, this year I decided to get a complete tire/wheel set up to make switching easier. I went with 19" wheels as I believe having a little more sidewall makes sense with snow tires. The wheels are Niche M130 Targa's with Blizzak tires. The look is a bit menacing for me but it's starting to grow on me a bit.
Name:  5f9fa74c41645096b88a0abe0a8e1cac_zpscca4a83e.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  699.0 KB
Name:  67d60790a64fcf6ae12f35cb43960efb_zps90a29af5.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  740.7 KB
Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VAG-Fan1
For some reason, they did set the pressures to the DOT sticker max (44 and 49), which I know has been a topic of regular debate. Today I plan on dropping these down to 43 psi at all 4 corners- Bridgestone recommends 42 psi minimum on this fitment, according to Tirerack anyway.
Check your owner's manual. The pressures on the sticker in the door are for a full load.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northwest Georgia - Do I Need Winter Tires

My new Q7 Sline came with the OEM Summer Performance Tires. I live in northwest Georgia where we do get some snow/ice; usually just a couple of times a year; but enough to cause havoc (not to mention a shortage of milk, bread and eggs ).

I have no intentions of driving the Q7 in snow/ice because most people here have no idea how to drive in adverse conditions and I do not want them ramming into me. I'd rather take my lifted and armored Jeep out on snow days....

BUT- Should I end up were I need to drive the Q7 in snow/ice - Will the OEM tiers suffice, or should I consider winter tire/wheels?

Thanks

Jeeps:

Northwest Georgia Snowmageddon 2014

On a mountain road, somewhere in North Carolina

Last edited by AtlantisBlue; 11-24-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AtlantisBlue
My new Q7 Sline came with the OEM Summer Performance Tires. I live in northwest Georgia where we do get some snow/ice; usually just a couple of times a year; but enough to cause havoc (not to mention a shortage of milk, bread and eggs ).

I have no intentions of driving the Q7 in snow/ice because most people here have no idea how to drive in adverse conditions and I do not want them ramming into me. I'd rather take my lifted and armored Jeep out on snow days....

BUT- Should I end up were I need to drive the Q7 in snow/ice - Will the OEM tiers suffice, or should I consider winter tire/wheels?

Thanks
Don't try to drive with the summer performance tires on ice/snow. Actually some don't recommend driving them below 40 deg. F. I was once caught in a snowstorm with my Porsche Cayenne on summer tires and it was a horrible and dangerously unsafe experience. The big issue is that most people would prefer to stay home in these conditions but what if you're caught in the unexpected? In these climates, there is no argument against winter tires other than cost.

That Jeep is awesome!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a proud owner of a JKU Rubicon as well, I have to tell you that in my opinion, the Jeep doesn't handle snow (slick roads) nearly was well as the Audi. My all season tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde's and will run circles around the Jeep when it's in 4H. There are a lot of reasons for this, not the least of which is I don't think the stock Rubi tires are designed for snow. Rock crawling yes, snow and slick roads- no. Also, you really can't beat the Audi's all-wheel drive and associated stability control programs. I can't comment on your particular Jeep tires and I also can't comment on your Audi's summer tires but for a rare snow/ice event, I'd trust your Audi with all season tires more than I'd trust the Jeep. All seasons might be the way to go. I don't think you lose any handling going from summer to all seasons.

BTW, The Q7 on true snow tires: unreal! Like, it defies the laws of physics good.

Quick Reply: Winter is Coming ….