Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 mk2 Trailering questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Q7 mk2 Trailering questions...

for those who are fortunate enough to own a new Q7 and have the tow package, can you offer some insights into your experience when trailering?

1) What is the maximum tongue weight limit as indicated on the hitch on the mk2 Q7? is it at least around 660 lbs or more like the mk1 Q7?

2) Have you used a brake controller with it and is installation of aftermarket electric brake controller fairly straightforward with the pre-wiring as Audi describes?

3) Does the 3.0T motor feel underpowered/under-torqued at highway speeds when going up grades/hills with trailer in tow?

4) Does the optional air suspension self-level the rear end once the tongue is loaded with the trailer's weight?

5) Any issues with the transmission overheating? I don't see it documented anywhere, but does the tow package include some kind of auxiliary transmission cooler?

Previously, I've trailered my 6000b (fully loaded) car trailer with a Touareg TDI and an Escalade. Both managed the task very well even for long distances across a few states. The issue I had with the Touareg was that it did not have air suspension nor did it have some way to level the rear end when the trailer was loaded, and the rear suspension would get compressed tilting the car's nose up a bit. The Escalade fared better as it had a self-leveling rear air bags. My hope is that the new Q7 will at least be as competent for trailering as the Touareg, and perhaps even more so with the air suspension. Another concern I have with the mk2 lies with the fact that its weight-reduction via the use of many aluminum bits may be detrimental to its ability to trailer heavier loads compared to the mk1, if you follow the general rule that the tow vehicle should at least match the weight of the trailer.
The following users liked this post:
calculi (09-06-2019)
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't mind, I'd like to add to your list.............

6) How do I get access to the wiring socket? Is it underneath that flat plate to the left of the hitch socket? Do I have to remove and reinstall those screws holding it on?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcaddict66
If you don't mind, I'd like to add to your list.............

6) How do I get access to the wiring socket? Is it underneath that flat plate to the left of the hitch socket? Do I have to remove and reinstall those screws holding it on?
This one I can answer. I removed the plate and installed this connector from Amazon. Fairly easy installation. Then you need whatever adapter you need to match your trailer.

Amazon.com: Genuine OEM Audi Q7 Seven Pin Trailer Harness Connector (2007+): Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine OEM Audi Q7 Seven Pin Trailer Harness Connector (2007+): Automotive
Old 02-23-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't believe that is not included. Every car and truck I have every owned with an OEM trailer hitch had this integrated.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

This video should give you some idea.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by baltfan
This video should give you some idea.
Nice video, thanks for sharing!

Good to know that stability and the lighter weight isn't an issue on the new Q7 at all... but too bad we won't get that torquey TDI here in the US after all the dieselgate BS. Which still leaves the question of whether the considerably less torquey gasoline 3.0 TFSI is up to the task.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV
for those who are fortunate enough to own a new Q7 and have the tow package, can you offer some insights into your experience when trailering?

1) What is the maximum tongue weight limit as indicated on the hitch on the mk2 Q7? is it at least around 660 lbs or more like the mk1 Q7?

2) Have you used a brake controller with it and is installation of aftermarket electric brake controller fairly straightforward with the pre-wiring as Audi describes?

3) Does the 3.0T motor feel underpowered/under-torqued at highway speeds when going up grades/hills with trailer in tow?

4) Does the optional air suspension self-level the rear end once the tongue is loaded with the trailer's weight?

5) Any issues with the transmission overheating? I don't see it documented anywhere, but does the tow package include some kind of auxiliary transmission cooler?
Re: (1) See attached for tongue weight info from the 2017 owner's manual.

Re: (4) I don't have my 2017 yet, but in my 2012 Q7 with Adaptive Air Suspension, it does a nice job of leveling the rear end with the trailer attached. I would expect the same from the 2017.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is a specific setting on the adaptive air suspension for towing a trailer. So, I suspect that this is the self-leveling you are referring to.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by baltfan
There is a specific setting on the adaptive air suspension for towing a trailer. So, I suspect that this is the self-leveling you are referring to.
In the older models, towing mode would engage automatically when you plugged in the trailer wire harness. But you could engage it manually in the MMI if the automatic engagement didn't happen.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by larryV

We are looking at a Q7 prestige for my wife. We have a 2016 Mastercraft X20 wakeboard boat that weighs, fully loaded about 6-7000 lbs. We primarily tow with my GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax diesel, but it would be nice to have a backup if we ever had to tow two trailers or whatever.

I was wondering if anyone had anymore info about #'s 2 and 4. We may tow a camping trailer which has electric brakes so was wondering if the trailer brake controller is a simple plug and play install (and what brake controller folks went with) or if its something the dealer needs to do.

Also was wondering if anyone tows WITHOUT air suspension and how much the backend sags when the trailer is hitched up. I have heard many issues with past air suspensions so would assume just save the $4k and not get it. If the Q7 was going to be our primary tow vehicle I may feel different but it will not be.

any comments or pictures are greatly appreciated. I have been reading a lot on this forum and really appreciate everyones insights and info.

Thanks, Eric

Quick Reply: Q7 mk2 Trailering questions...