Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tire Rotation on 10k service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PROEDGEBIKER.COM
Hoping to get that done and also take care of the can knocking sound from under the car too while it's in the air.
Is the "can knocking" for you that subtle cluck sound some of us discussed a while back coming from what sounds like the brake area while rolling up a stop? If so, curious to here what your service dept says. Keep us posted. Thanks!!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
You should never buy 2 tires on a quattro vehicle. You could potentially mess up the system.
Originally Posted by Bozman5000
Do you have a link from Audi to confirm that? I don't remember seeing anything about that in the manual and I also find that odd as Audi doesn't even include rotating the tires as a part of the regular service maintenance.
To clarify, the manual states that all four tires should be of the same size, brand and model to avoid damaging the Quattro system and for safety from tires of different driving characteristics. Further, there are many articles online that discuss that the tire tread depths on all wheel drive vehicles should be within 2/32" inch of one another for similar reasons.

This would indicate that all four tires should be replaced at the same time when possible. If one tire is damaged and there is enough tread left on the other three, if necessary, it can be shaved down to match.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
To clarify, the manual states that all four tires should be of the same size, brand and model to avoid damaging the Quattro system and for safety from tires of different driving characteristics. Further, there are many articles online that discuss that the tire tread depths on all wheel drive vehicles should be within 2/32" inch of one another for similar reasons.

This would indicate that all four tires should be replaced at the same time when possible. If one tire is damaged and there is enough tread left on the other three, if necessary, it can be shaved down to match.
I haven't seen any official articles regarding them needing to be within 2/32" of each other. Just random opinions from posters that very. I'm going by what Audi says, not 'some guy on the internet'.

Last edited by Bozman5000; 03-20-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I haven't seen any official articles regarding them needing to be within 2/32" of each other. Just random opinions from posters that very. I'm going by what Audi says, not 'some guy on the internet'.
I haven't seen Audi state the accepted tolerance anywhere, however, dealers say within 3/32" and I've read in other places 4/32". I don't know what your owner's manual says, but I found the following two relevant sentences in my owner's manual for my RS5.

- All four wheels must be fitted with radial tires of the same type, size (rolling circumference) and the same tread pattern.

- Tires should be replaced at least in pairs and not individually (for example both front tires or both rear tires together).

So, the first one implies that tires should have equal wear, otherwise the rolling circumference will be different, however, the second one implies that you don't have to necessary replace all 4 tires at the same time, however, if wear is different that would conflict with the first sentence. There are owners on here that have at one point not replaced all four tires at the same time and as a result the ESP went bonkers. YMMV.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, Good Luck! The information is correct but it's your vehicle, your risk, your repair bills.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I haven't seen Audi state the accepted tolerance anywhere, however, dealers say within 3/32" and I've read in other places 4/32". I don't know what your owner's manual says, but I found the following two relevant sentences in my owner's manual for my RS5.

- All four wheels must be fitted with radial tires of the same type, size (rolling circumference) and the same tread pattern.

- Tires should be replaced at least in pairs and not individually (for example both front tires or both rear tires together).

So, the first one implies that tires should have equal wear, otherwise the rolling circumference will be different, however, the second one implies that you don't have to necessary replace all 4 tires at the same time, however, if wear is different that would conflict with the first sentence. There are owners on here that have at one point not replaced all four tires at the same time and as a result the ESP went bonkers. YMMV.
It all comes down to the allowable variants which aren't clear. I'm sure opinions are different in different dealsips as well if Audi hasn't given official recommendation.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
LOL, Good Luck! The information is correct but it's your vehicle, your risk, your repair bills.
What information are you claiming is correct? Something other than what his manual says which is obviously correct for his RS5 (and may be the same for the Q7).

I'm also not sure what you mean by taking risks when I've already stated I'm going by what Audi recommends.

Last edited by Bozman5000; 03-20-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not going to argue any point over the internet but any AWD vehicle and the Quattro is even more complex than most needs to have the same rotation in order for the system to operate correctly.

I know what I know and I'm not here to prove anything to anybody, believe what you want to believe and have a great day!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Not going to argue any point over the internet but any AWD vehicle and the Quattro is even more complex than most needs to have the same rotation in order for the system to operate correctly.

I know what I know and I'm not here to prove anything to anybody, believe what you want to believe and have a great day!
More opinions. Lol

Ask yourself, if it 'needs rotation' why doesn't Audi include that in the servicing?

Have a good one.

Last edited by Bozman5000; 03-20-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Actually, depending on the source, for all-wheel drives it's 2/32-4/32. Audi doesn't specifically state it in their manual (at least mine), just that they should be the same overall diameter. However, common sense would dictate it's somewhere in that range for all auto brands of all-wheel drives.

Here are a few articles, not just forum post opinions. They essentially all say the same thing - excessive rolling diameter differences can cause damage to the power train of all-wheel drive systems:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=18&

Tires 101 on Tire Matching on All Wheel and Four Wheel Drive :: Souza's Tire Service

Tires for All-Wheel drive vehicle, Beware!

Auto Tips: Tires, tread depth and all wheel drive | The Chronicle Herald

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation on 10k service?