Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Transmission/supercharger clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
....and yet that's not realistic 100% of the time. That's the goal, but doesn't always happen. But that doesn't mean they can't be addressed and repaired. I'm here to tell you....Bentley, Ferrari or Maserati all have new cars that have squeaks and rattles on the drive home from their purchase. It really doesn't matter the price that you pay. I agree they shouldn't, but you have to be face reality and know that's not going to happen 100% of the time. Audi never promised your Q7 would be noise-free. What they do promise is that they will fix any noise that crops up...so just relax and give them the chance to make it right.
I never suggested they promised a rattle free car. I also never suggested I wasn't going to give them the chance to fix it. Just the opposite in fact. You seem way overly invested in this. Some of your comments implied rattles should be something people should just live with and they are all normal. They are not. You have your experiences and opinions and everyone else has theirs. Yours don't trump everyone else's.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

No no, don't take my comments the wrong way.....there are some comments here (and in other forums, Audi or not) from people that are just OUTRAGED a noise. As if the car is underivable, or that their car should be replaced with a new car because it's so unacceptable. SOME people have suggest Audi promised a rattle-free car.

Like I said, me of all people are driven INSANE by rattles and squeaks. I'm working on getting them fixed in my TT, but there are some noises that maybe you can live with....I'll probably not get the suspension fixed because I know what is likely is, and the tremendous work to fix often induces another noise in this scenario. It's just so infrequent I'm not gonna stress about it. Others would not take that approach I understand.

Some people seem to be INFURIATED that a supercharge is not silent in operation. I'm not implying they should just live with it and it's normal, but I'm trying to add a voice of reason in just exactly how sever this issue is....that's all. Trust me, if everyone had spent time trying to solve these noises as their job they might have a different perspective. That's all I was trying to convey, and also to encourage others that there car will be fixed (but maybe not in the next week).

Sorry if I'm rambling...I have free time stuck at home in the middle of raging ice storm, so i'm just browsing the forum, LOL
Attached Thumbnails Transmission/supercharger clutch noise-img_0092.jpg   Transmission/supercharger clutch noise-img_0093.jpg  
Old 01-16-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure you've experienced all kinds. Hope it works out with your TT.

I remember that weather, it could be fun sometimes. I finally had enough and am now enjoying weather around 80 this week.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've learned not being so "particular" about the occasion noise makes my life much less stressful and the car more enjoyable. Of course more persistent, troublesome noises always need address (like this thread is concentrated on).

Well lets just say snow tires and quattro go a long ways to making this much easier to handle. It's really amazing how these cars can get around. See how light the TT is it seems to be able to get around incredibly well, more so than a heavier car. Of course sometimes weight works in your favor, too.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Engineers go to great lengths to design something to work properly and without unintended noises, if the noise is not supposed to be there, it shouldn't be.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No no, don't take my comments the wrong way.....there are some comments here (and in other forums, Audi or not) from people that are just OUTRAGED a noise. As if the car is underivable, or that their car should be replaced with a new car because it's so unacceptable. SOME people have suggest Audi promised a rattle-free car.

Like I said, me of all people are driven INSANE by rattles and squeaks. I'm working on getting them fixed in my TT, but there are some noises that maybe you can live with....I'll probably not get the suspension fixed because I know what is likely is, and the tremendous work to fix often induces another noise in this scenario. It's just so infrequent I'm not gonna stress about it. Others would not take that approach I understand.

Some people seem to be INFURIATED that a supercharge is not silent in operation. I'm not implying they should just live with it and it's normal, but I'm trying to add a voice of reason in just exactly how sever this issue is....that's all. Trust me, if everyone had spent time trying to solve these noises as their job they might have a different perspective. That's all I was trying to convey, and also to encourage others that there car will be fixed (but maybe not in the next week).

Sorry if I'm rambling...I have free time stuck at home in the middle of raging ice storm, so i'm just browsing the forum, LOL
I don't have so much issue with the noise. The real issue is when I pull away from a light and the damn thing bucks like a bronco stuttering and jerking like it's pulling up lame. Noise is just a by product of it.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

That weather you have is cold enough to put squeaks and noise into anything lol.

My main issue is the supercharger is too quiet. I want to hear that whine!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dasaint
That weather you have is cold enough to put squeaks and noise into anything lol.
Kind of my point exactly. People show up to service all bent out of shape that the car made some noise this morning...and it's bellow zero and all snowy and icy. Yeah, sometimes just the right combo of conditions can induce a noise. The drive to the dealer warms the car up, and then the noise goes away. Then the service employees drive the car and say "problem can not be recreated, no problem found". And now the customer is mad at the service department, as if they can magically change the weather to reproduce the conditions required for the noise. So the customer leaves feeling like the service department doesn't care about them and didn't try hard enough. And now the next morning the weather is still crummy and the same noise is present (until after 5 minutes when it warms up and it goes away again). And now the customer is furious, the noise is still present and Audi didn't fix it! Now they have a bad opinion of the dealership service. Of course once the weather warms up a little the noise never comes back. And what does the customer remember? Oh i have this intermittent noise but Audi doesn't seem to care....and now the tainted relationship for the rest of the ownership experience begins. All over a noise that lasts 5 minutes on a handful of days when it's really cold. The customer doesn't even seem to remember that the noise happened like 5 times for 5 minutes, and the rest of the time the car is noise-free....they just remember there is an intermittent noise and the Audi service department sucks and didn't seem to car to fix it and I'm dreading the next time I need work because they will just screw me over again.....

This is the type of stuff a service team has to manage day-in, day-out. This is where perspective comes into play on the severity sometimes of a noise.... Cleary this supercharger noise is not in this category, needs address, and already sounds like Audi is fixing a few cars to gauge if the repair is the long-term solution before asking dealers to officially apply the repair to thousands of vehicles. Nothings worse than issuing a repair and doing it to all the cars you service in the area, just to find out it's not a long-term solution and having to get all those cars back in a second time for another repair..... That's not good customer satisfaction either. I'm sure Audi is trying to skip the band-aid approach for a long-term resolution. It does sound like some dealerships are not handling the situation very well on their end however....
Old 02-02-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of my point exactly. People show up to service all bent out of shape that the car made some noise this morning...and it's bellow zero and all snowy and icy. Yeah, sometimes just the right combo of conditions can induce a noise. The drive to the dealer warms the car up, and then the noise goes away. Then the service employees drive the car and say "problem can not be recreated, no problem found". And now the customer is mad at the service department, as if they can magically change the weather to reproduce the conditions required for the noise. So the customer leaves feeling like the service department doesn't care about them and didn't try hard enough. And now the next morning the weather is still crummy and the same noise is present (until after 5 minutes when it warms up and it goes away again). And now the customer is furious, the noise is still present and Audi didn't fix it! Now they have a bad opinion of the dealership service. Of course once the weather warms up a little the noise never comes back. And what does the customer remember? Oh i have this intermittent noise but Audi doesn't seem to care....and now the tainted relationship for the rest of the ownership experience begins. All over a noise that lasts 5 minutes on a handful of days when it's really cold. The customer doesn't even seem to remember that the noise happened like 5 times for 5 minutes, and the rest of the time the car is noise-free....they just remember there is an intermittent noise and the Audi service department sucks and didn't seem to car to fix it and I'm dreading the next time I need work because they will just screw me over again.....

This is the type of stuff a service team has to manage day-in, day-out. This is where perspective comes into play on the severity sometimes of a noise.... Cleary this supercharger noise is not in this category, needs address, and already sounds like Audi is fixing a few cars to gauge if the repair is the long-term solution before asking dealers to officially apply the repair to thousands of vehicles. Nothings worse than issuing a repair and doing it to all the cars you service in the area, just to find out it's not a long-term solution and having to get all those cars back in a second time for another repair..... That's not good customer satisfaction either. I'm sure Audi is trying to skip the band-aid approach for a long-term resolution. It does sound like some dealerships are not handling the situation very well on their end however....
FarmerJones,

I find myself going back and forth really liking your comments as the voice of reason and then hating your comments thinking you are not an owner of a car with the blower issue.

As was mentioned in the comment recently...the noise is extremely loud and getting louder. It is not blower whine and not a thud or shutter. Its like a barn owl is living under the hood and wakes up every time you touch the throttle. However, the car is actually starting to shudder and stumble when screeching.

I really appreciate your insight into the TAC process and how a company resolves these issues. And I like the explanation of them wanting to fix it right the first time. But I did not plan on getting treated like an idiot by dealers telling me the noise is normal...live with it. I have been in the racing business for over 35 years. I was machining teflon strips into blower vanes to reduce tolerances 30 years ago. I, like you, have a bit of a background in what is right and wrong with mechanical issues. Everything has a MTTF (mean time to failure). I just think that 8,000 miles is not long enough for these clutches. And I did not bargain on being a test driver for a factory to figure out its issues. As you say, a new vehicle/design will have issues. But I would expect the factory to back me up if an obvious issue exists. After all, I now feel like an uncompensated test driver. But all things considered I do appreciate all of your input on this thread. Try to stay warm up there. Uggh.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sponserv
FarmerJones,

I find myself going back and forth really liking your comments as the voice of reason and then hating your comments thinking you are not an owner of a car with the blower issue.
Well....I'm certainly sympathetic to your situation. I have actually gone through the Lemon buy-back process on a VW Jetta GLX VR6 a years ago, so I've understand what it's like to have unresolvable problems that the manufacturer seemingly can't (or won't) fix.

I'm certainly not suggesting Audi should fix it, nor that it's not becoming increasingly worrisome for an owner. At this point if you feel your Q7 can't be repaired in a reasonable amount of time you can always meet with the Audi District Manager and request them to buy the car back since it can not be fixed and see what their response is.

My comments were not to minimize owners concerns but to add a voice of reason to why and how the process sometimes works it correcting a complex manufacturing issue by a manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Transmission/supercharger clutch noise