RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Adaptive Cruise Control and brake lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adaptive Cruise Control and brake lights?

I just returned from a 5000 mile road tour, zigzagging from California to Illinois and back. I used the Adaptive Cruise Control a lot. It's very helpful for old guys like me, to keep the legs from cramping up on a 600 mile day.

I noticed that the Adaptive CC acts differently than a driver normally does when slowing to allow a truck to move to the left to pass another truck. A driver just lifts the throttle a little to allow the truck in. The Adaptive CC maintains speed until the truck is half way into the lane and then uses braking to slow.

Do the brake lights come on every time this happens? It's my understanding that Adaptive CC rapid slowing uses ABS instead of downshifting, but I'm not sure if ABS triggers the brake lights.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, when AC applies the brakes, the brake lights do turn on. I'm solidly on the fence regarding adaptive cruise.. I think I'd like it better if it allowed for a closer following distance, because in "traffic" such as around the greater Boston and NYC areas, the gap it leaves is such that people WILL fill it, causing the car to jump on the brakes, often.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

my feeling as well. Many times I used the throttle to override the AC and close the gap. Sort of interesting because the gas petal then becomes both a throttle and a brake. A little jerky till I got used to it.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Yes, when AC applies the brakes, the brake lights do turn on. I'm solidly on the fence regarding adaptive cruise.. I think I'd like it better if it allowed for a closer following distance, because in "traffic" such as around the greater Boston and NYC areas, the gap it leaves is such that people WILL fill it, causing the car to jump on the brakes, often.
I tested an RS7 this week and did not think to check this feature. My A7 can adjust for a fairly small vehicle gap. Does the RS7 ACC not adjust similarly?
Old 08-17-2014, 07:28 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

It does adjust similarly. In the east, one car length is too big of a gap.. Drivers WILL slide in with nearly no warning. It becomes annoying with ACC, since you just keep going backwards in traffic.. =)
Old 08-17-2014, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The adaptive cruise control is a must especially when you become a different driver when driving a fast machine esp when it brakes for you if you're about to rear end someone it saved me from an accident last week not to mention when I'm stuck in traffic and i turn the cruise on it is very stress free letting the car drive on its own.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

It does adjust similarly. In the east, one car length is too big of a gap.. Drivers WILL slide in with nearly no warning. It becomes annoying with ACC, since you just keep going backwards in traffic.. =)
Actually, my ACC is more than a car length at the closest setting. I agree that there should be one more setting for a closer distance alternative. My guess is the Audi wants to be on the conservative side for any potential liability. Also, I would prefer if it would come to a more gradual stop instead of the sometimes nerve wracking last minute braking when a car in front comes to a complete stop.

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-17-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Trust me, it's no different out here. I have had that same experience, but when it's that close, I have always retained control of the car anyway. I simply don't feel comfortable expecting the car to stop or slow for me, when other drivers are willing to let themselves in on a car length or less. But I understand where you're coming from. I suspect Audi had a line they weren't willing to cross, either for liability or pragmatic reasons or both. All it would take is for one rain-raised oil slick at the wrong angle and speed to make ACC the co-defendant in the wrong kind of court case.