RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Protective Paint Coating

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protective Paint Coating

Has anyone added and protection on the paint such as a film? If this is done to the RS7 will it detract from the beautiful paint job out of the factory?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by motorguy61
Has anyone added and protection on the paint such as a film? If this is done to the RS7 will it detract from the beautiful paint job out of the factory?
-------------------------------------------------------
On my 2014 A7 Daytona Grey Pearl I used X-Pel Ultimate for the front bumper, lights, full hood and mirrors and can't tell the difference between body panels. Only concern would be on a white or very light car where even a slight difference or line can be seen.

Also put ClearPlex on the windshield - which gives a bit of ghosting, but eliminates all the small chips that build up.

2 weeks after installation, I was diving 80mph and a gravel truck hit a bump and sprayed me. Only damage was a very small dent in the hood. Without coverage would have had several chips and dents - and a cracked or chipped windshield. Oh - and a chip out of the back wing which was up...

Dave
Old 01-31-2014, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Talking

Thinking of Xpel myself...heard TOO MANY horror stories of how ppl regret not putting anything on.

Been thinking of Opti-Coat Pro 2.0 as well...any takers? I know this has been discussed extensively on A7+ forums, but this is an RS car
Old 02-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I had it done to my new Estoril blue RS7 - I live in NY (upstate) with snow/ice and of course SALT and SAND.
I don't see any color difference. Looks good. I was told I never need to wax for 5 years..... also had interior protection added to protect against spills, marks... etc.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do it. The opti coat is fine but I would still do the Xpel on the front for rock hits. The coatings just help with the light scratches/swirls (and really does work) but will not help with the inevitable rock hits. I have Xpel on the front (whole hood on the R8, 1/4 on the RS5), rocker panel into the door sills, door handle pockets, and the rear bumpers, then another coating (22ple) on my RS5 and my R8 GT for the last year and so far so good. I did the Xpel first then the coating. And on the wheels where it really is obvious how well the stuff works.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Phoenix1
On my 2014 A7 Daytona Grey Pearl I used X-Pel Ultimate for the front bumper, lights, full hood and mirrors and can't tell the difference between body panels. Only concern would be on a white or very light car where even a slight difference or line can be seen.

Also put ClearPlex on the windshield - which gives a bit of ghosting, but eliminates all the small chips that build up.

2 weeks after installation, I was diving 80mph and a gravel truck hit a bump and sprayed me. Only damage was a very small dent in the hood. Without coverage would have had several chips and dents - and a cracked or chipped windshield. Oh - and a chip out of the back wing which was up...

Dave
I did the film as you describe on my cars except the windshield and I skipped the headlights on my RS5...mistake on the headlights...they are lightly peppered, R8 I did the lights and they are fine. Just had an M3 go off track in front of me and sprayed rocks all across my R8. I will do the ClearPlex on the windshield when I get this one replaced. One rock event and its a mess.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrivenHardS4
Yes, I had it done to my new Estoril blue RS7 - I live in NY (upstate) with snow/ice and of course SALT and SAND.
I don't see any color difference. Looks good. I was told I never need to wax for 5 years..... also had interior protection added to protect against spills, marks... etc.
Thanks a lot man, looking to reach out to the Xpel HQ in San Antonio (I live only 4-hrs away) and speak with them about the install. I know they are gonna kick my butt on price (being that they are the factory) but once I find out, I'll post it up!

Enjoy that estoril blue…throw up a pic!!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had Expel on my R8 and now I have it on my RS7. It is the best on the market and it will give you a piece of mind while driving!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

just out of curiosity how much did you pay for it in your area and scope on your 7...mine seemed to be really expensive for full hood, fenders, front including CF bits, rockers, mirrors, door pockets, and just the top of the rear bumper and my rear CF splitter.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phoenix - how bad is the ghosting on the clearplex, and do you think it is worth it regardless? I was debating installing that on the GT3 I have on order and was told there could be some visibility issues.

Originally Posted by Phoenix1

Dave

Quick Reply: Protective Paint Coating