RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Who buys the RS7? Racer? Modder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who buys the RS7? Racer? Modder?

Just curious as I shop for a versatile car. Speed, handles, family.

Is the RS7 a true track car? Who is the target buyer for this car?
Why not a CTS-V Wagon..much less expensive and some say it can be upgraded to trounce the RS7?

School me.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lol, the RS7 although awesomely fast, I would not consider a "track car" - too damn heavy. As my daily driver and a previous owner of a modded 2000 S4 I am awed by the RS7. You can get a Cadillac, but you wind up with a "Cadillac". The RS7 is pure beauty and power with 4 doors. I have had people video tape my car with their camera phones while I'm at a gas station! Don't think that you'll see that in a Caddy... Just today while in a parking lot had someone clearly staring at the RS7 checking it out.... it's a fantastic car all around. Would not change my mind on the purchase if I had it to do over again 6 months later...

Driven.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can only echo the above poster. Everytime I go out in my RS7 I get stopped and asked about it and my wife tells me that when we are driving around town both men and women just oggle this beautiful machine ( I'm watching the road).
Old 09-28-2014, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If I got a dime for each time I saw someone taking a picture, video recording, or stopping me to ask questions......

this car really turns heads. men, women, and kids.

suspect you will get a few heads turned in the caddie, but no where near the level of an RS7...

jus sayin'
Old 09-28-2014, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Um, have you actually looked at the Caddy? I cannot believe you could even look at the Caddy and the A7/S7/RS7 and ask that question.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pale Rider
Um, have you actually looked at the Caddy? I cannot believe you could even look at the Caddy and the A7/S7/RS7 and ask that question.
Yes, in fact, yes I have. And it looked great, the coupe did and then...RS7. Thus, the inquiry. I do love the look of the RS7. Drove the heck out of a CTS-V Sedan and that drive has been on my mind since. Nothing quite like it. I've spent time in an M3,A4,S5,etc, etc.

Just checking here. Caddy guys love the CTS-V Coupe and swear by its looks. They offer that the Caddy offers more car per dollar, gets stares, and is superior on these shores because of dealer network and availability of parts/service(less problems.) They also argued for less frequency of needed service.

just thought I'd query owners here. The RS7 for me is more pleasing to view though, I have yet to see one in person, so I am a fanboy for now. And a willing student. SO,plus 1 on the looks and plus 1 on the "German engineering" and Audi Panache. I'm listening!

Thanks
Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Asochs
Yes, in fact, yes I have. And it looked great, the coupe did and then...RS7. Thus, the inquiry. I do love the look of the RS7. Drove the heck out of a CTS-V Sedan and that drive has been on my mind since. Nothing quite like it. I've spent time in an M3,A4,S5,etc, etc.

Just checking here. Caddy guys love the CTS-V Coupe and swear by its looks. They offer that the Caddy offers more car per dollar, gets stares, and is superior on these shores because of dealer network and availability of parts/service(less problems.) They also argued for less frequency of needed service.

just thought I'd query owners here. The RS7 for me is more pleasing to view though, I have yet to see one in person, so I am a fanboy for now. And a willing student. SO,plus 1 on the looks and plus 1 on the "German engineering" and Audi Panache. I'm listening!

Thanks
LOL, I meant no personal offense. And I completely believe in "to each their own." This is what is great about an industry that gives us so much choice; some choices will resonate differently. But here is what I mean from the perspective of a guy who fell in love with the lines of the A7 the minute I saw it, and who tried the Panamera, the Jag XJ, the Rapide, and even the Caddy. I wanted to like the Caddy, but here is why I couldn't. Caddy's designers are slaves to the angular design motif they developed. they cannot seem to back away from it, and it has caused them to fail to fix the "giant a$$" problem. Take a look at these two photos:

There is an optical illusion on the Caddy that causes the rear wheel to look smaller than the front, a real design disaster; and it doesn't matter what angle you see it from. Read all the reviews; plenty comment on the big rear end. Now, I like a nice backside, but this ain't it. And Cadillac knows it; you can tell from the way they try to highlight certain angles of the car that de-emphasizes the illusion.

In contrast, Audi fixed this problem; the rear wheel looks proportional to the car. And this is only one example of getting stuck in a design that trapped the Caddy designers. The Caddy is initially striking, but for me, it wears off almost instantaneously. A car that good, and I think it is a good car, should simply look better.

YMMV, of course, but that's what's great about choices. Cheers!

P.S. I ordered the RS7, because it looks even better than my A7, and as compared to my R8, I expect I will have a lot more fun driving it than I do even my A7 [which I love].

Last edited by Pale Rider; 09-29-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just watched a recent episode of Motorweek (PBS/Velocity Channel) which featured a new RS7.

Twin turbo V8 with 560 bhp...0-60 in 3.6 secs.

Reviewer: to really measure the performance of this car you need to drive on the autobahn or spend some time at the track. .A much better performer than the RS5

The only negative other than the large and weight for me is the tiptronic tranny...no double clutch...but reviewers said it was so good they did not consider the tiptronic a drawback.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I believe the RS7 is the best looking sedan Audi makes...followed by the S7 and the A7. the rear roofline is fantastic.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 09-29-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I find the CTS-V nice looking-but I hate the regular CTS youve attached above. Funny, I'l never see that rear wheel quite the same again after your comment. To that end, the RS7 looks kind like it is falling backwards(as compared to the Panamera)...nevertheless, regarding looks I like all three cars. Every car is photographed from these same angles, 3/4 views illumining foreshortening.

But, I'm not as interested in the look of the car. I drive. I'm most interested in the perspective of any owners whose focus is the road when in these amazing machines. True to sport sedans, one can purchase a track day only car...but with all this car available . Interestingly, the new RS7's latest VIR time is one second faster than the CTS-V '09. Cool.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

AND..did I read that the RS7 can tow 2100kg(4629.708lbs) !! So, I can have my cake and eat it too---haul the touring motorcycle. What is the caveat here? Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Who buys the RS7? Racer? Modder?