Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Bad Engine Vibration

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 26391

Default Bad Engine Vibration

Soooo, there I was today, at the very tail end of a 3 hr road trip when I downshifted onto an exit ramp.

Suddenly a Giant engine vibration kicked in.

It's definitely in the engine. When I rev it in neutral, it's pretty major....

I limped it the last five minutes home into to the garage.

It's a 2005 6 sp, manual with about 45K miles.

I'm thinking engine mounts...

What do you guys think happened?
SethS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 166773

Is the check engine light on? Did you read it using ODB II scanner? There is an active recall on the coil packs; so if its that you'd be covered.
2005AUDIS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member

There isn't a check engine light on and I don't have an obd... But interestingly, looking at the service history, all the coils have been replaced already.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE:

Just dropped the car off at the dealership.

While I waited, they replaced all 8 coils again. Didn't help.

They now *think* that it's a bad motor mount. Not broken, but apparently they are dynamic? According the dealer, they say that the mounts can stiffen or soften depending on conditions. (Load, rpms, angle, etc). They think one or more of them might be stuck in full stiff mode.

But they gave me a loaner and are investigating further.

I'll keep you posted...
Old 03-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 29397

could be a bad flywheel...that will cause a pretty serious vibration.

Just a thought
Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE #2

The dealership has ordered a new motor mount. They think one is stuck on stiff. I'm not sure why they can't tell for sure though...

They are waiting on one from Germany.

Also not sure why they don't keep those in stock.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE # 3

New motor mounts are installed and vibration still exists.

The dealership called to ask me today if I give them permission to disassemble the transmission. A $910 job.

They are afraid of a cracked flex plate.

If they find that, they are saying that this is not going to be covered under my CPO warranty. Something else could've gone wrong but they seem to be leaning this way...

I've owned the car for about 500 miles.

It's my pride and joy and I don't drive it very hard at all. Most of those 500 miles came on two large road trips.

Next week we'll know.......
Old 04-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 162704

That's BS....That part should be covered under the extended warranty. Before I would have them touch the $910 job, I would call around to other Audi folks and tuning shops and see if they are willing to put in the arguing time with your warranty company. Don;t accept the "not covered" statement as fact until you shop around. JMO
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1 View Post
That's BS....That part should be covered under the extended warranty. Before I would have them touch the $910 job, I would call around to other Audi folks and tuning shops and see if they are willing to put in the arguing time with your warranty company. Don;t accept the "not covered" statement as fact until you shop around. JMO
Excellent advice. I had the same thought this weekend. The next closest dealer to me is 2 hrs away. I may pay for a tow anyway though.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member

Again, I'm pretty sure this is a bad fly wheel. Friend of mine had one go bad in his A4 Quattro 3.0 6MT. Had a very bad vibration..turned out to be fly wheel. And I could be wrong, but almost sure that Audi will not cover this under warranty due to it being a "wear" item. The part alone is pretty expensive. If it is for sure a fly wheel, I'd shop JHM Motorsports for a good aftermarket flywheel. The OEM S4 (04-05) are known to be weak.
The dealer is knowing that if they pull your trans apart that they will be doing the fix as well...so will be charging dealer prices for the flywheel and any other parts needed. Please continue to keep us up to date...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the insight Audimotion.

They are saying that they think it's the flexplate. I always thought that flexplates were only for automatics. Is there a flexplate on a manual? As well as a flywheel? Are the terms interchangeable?

I wonder if an aftermarket flywheel would affect the warranty for the rest of the car.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
AudiWorld Member

I think you are OK warranty wise. I have read on other forums where the dealer will install aftermarket parts (clutch/flywheel packages) and still carry warranty for the rest of the transmision. Maybe contact JHM motorsports via email and ask them...I'm sure they know the answer and maybe can shed some light on your issue.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member

Just dropped them a line. Thanks for the advice.

So bummed about this though. I don't even push this car. I just got the thing a month ago!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #14
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 162704

My experience with the clutch/Tranny is very limited, but I have been told that if any repairs in that area need to be made, to just buy a clutch and also change out to a single mass flywheel?? The cost seems quite reasonable (esp when compared to OEM??)

Yes?
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #15
Audiworld Junior Member

Still no word from the dealership on what's up yet.

The waiting was killing me so in the meantime, I called AOA to alert them that I might be calling and flipping out soon.

They were extremely interested in the choice of repairs the dealership has made so far. Wondering why the motor mounts were replaced and especially wondering why they are referring to the flywheel as a flexplate.

They called the service department yesterday to let them know that they would be watching how this unfolds...

Feeling good about that phone call. Lets see what happens...
Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #16
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE

Heard from AOA today.

Very interesting stuff.

They sent an Audi field technician to examine the damage at the dealership.

Some time passed and then I was contacted again to let me know that they would be covering the cost of the full repair + parts as part of a one time "goodwill" repair.

I still don't know exactly what parts were broken besides the flywheel (which for some reason was being described by my dealership techs as a "flexplate"... That concerns me...)

They told me that it's over $2K in parts alone.

They said that they took into consideration that this was not my first manual transmission (I informed them that this was in fact my 12th) and not my first quattro Audi (it's my second).

Combined with the fact that I just got the car, and it's certified, they justified replacing what seems to be the entire clutch.

I'm extremely relieved.

Moral of the story.... Get AOA Consumer advocates involved right away when dealing with anything like this. I am convinced that this made all the difference.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
AudiWorld Member

very nice! glad to hear it will work out.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 44350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethS View Post
... apparently they are dynamic? According the dealer, they say that the mounts can stiffen or soften depending on conditions. (Load, rpms, angle, etc). They think one or more of them might be stuck in full stiff mode.
Is this BS or not? It sounds like something the B8 might have with DRC, but a B7?
sdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #19
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 190150

Default Most likely the flywheel (This also covers how to diagnose it)

(The way to diagnose if its the flywheel is posted at the very bottom) The most likely reason for the vibration is from what I probably experienced. The bearing on the flywheel goes bad and the flywheel starts to vibrate, dont let it go to long because you will crack the bell housing needing it to be welded. There is another article on audizine that talks about this very same thing with people having to deal with Audi of America and the guys at JHM Motorsports thanks to these posts and the warnings from JHM my shop had a much easier time diagnosing the problem. After the flywheel vibrating in my 04 S4 my bell housing did crack because the flywheel did make contact with the bell housing. A very easy way to diagnose if its your flywheel/clutch........... press the clutch all the way to the floor so its fully engaged, then quick rev the engine up to near red line, if its the flywheel the car will lurch forward so make sure your ready to brake.

The after math.....
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
lezsiftuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #20
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 192404

Send a message via AIM to s4_paul
Default Same issue....kinda

So I just read this...and I had the EXACT same issue......but....the vibration went away the next day and all is back to normal.....no check engine light...checked it with scanner and no codes all is clear......

Could it be mounts only?
s4_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
18t, 2005, a4, audi, b6, b8, bad, check, engine, light, motor, mount, s4, shake, vibration