S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

PLEASE HELP...4.2v8 knocking noise .

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP...4.2v8 knocking noise .

hello everybody thanks for looking at my post . i have Audi s4 b6 .50k miles on it. car make a knocking noise in the upper part of engine .so when i put my ear to Intake Manifold i hear like something kicking in my ear .there is a u tube video with same knocking noise as i have please take a look at tht....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aaJ9SstfpU ...thank you.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

definately sounds like its coming from the upper engine

pull the valve covers and inspect the valvetrain
Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's hard to tell from a video. I heard similar out of my previous engine. For me...it was coming from the rear of the passenger bank and was a lifter beginning to fail. It would lose hydraulic pressure and take longer and longer to come back up. Early S4's were plagued with valve train problems. Mainly valve keepers failing and eventually resulting in a dropped valve or worse. There were rocker arm issues as well.

What is the build date of the vehicle?

If I had to take a guess I would say it was a lifter and/or a rocker/keeper issue. But obviously diagnosis from a video is only guessing...

Change the oil immediately and inspect for metal. It's easy to see crap in the oil filter because of the open element design.

Pulling the valve covers correctly usually entails dropping the engine. Not like an old Chevy where you could just pull them off.

Last edited by Turn_and_Burn; 12-05-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Knocking noise

Originally Posted by audi4life_s4
hello everybody thanks for looking at my post . i have Audi s4 b6 .50k miles on it. car make a knocking noise in the upper part of engine .so when i put my ear to Intake Manifold i hear like something kicking in my ear .there is a u tube video with same knocking noise as i have please take a look at tht....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aaJ9SstfpU ...thank you.
I have the same problem since last week.. It make like a knocking sound but strangely happen since I change oil.. I can't ear it from engine bay but a lot when I put my face in front of radiator .. I suspect the water pump or even the ribbed belt tensionner. Some mechanic told me about the Chain tensionner and says that I would need to change engine but I don't beleive that this kind of issue need engine swap... I have misfire often too and the car run like on 7 cylinders but no DTC or MIL ..this is so strange... Sometime I run couple miles like that and the car simply come back on 8 cylinders... I had coilpack remove 3 month ago under recall and I also change all spark plug ..but nothing change. Let me know if you find your issue I think at this point a lot of poeple have weird and different issue with this engine..

Thanks

J-F
Old 12-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Clicking

Had the same problem. When I took it in, I think they said something about the solenoids or something like that opening/closing (throttle boddies perhaps). Anyway, it was a quick map that they did on the ECU or something along those lines. Anyway, it fixed the problem, completely.

No need to start pulling valve covers et. al. This is a simple fix!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default solenoids

Originally Posted by Short Throw
Had the same problem. When I took it in, I think they said something about the solenoids or something like that opening/closing (throttle boddies perhaps). Anyway, it was a quick map that they did on the ECU or something along those lines. Anyway, it fixed the problem, completely.

No need to start pulling valve covers et. al. This is a simple fix!
help us with more specific data not "something like that". your car was low on oil for that matter and made noises and they told you was a solenoid.
the noise sounds a lot like a collapsed hydraulic lifter, it will cause misfires on one cylinder and if you remove the cover is possible won't see anything at all.
just take it to a mechanic or dealer to verify
Old 01-08-2011, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi had same issue. A garage diagnose the chain tensionner they quote the job at 5K a other garage told me that I was better to change the whole engine.. 2.5K engine + 1k install. I also had issue with the engine, was running on 7 cylinder occasionnaly without trowing code.. I then start the inspection myself ( I usually work on my car myself but it's winter and cold here at this time ) Problem found !!! took the ribbed belt off today and that one was very damage, missing tooth for couple inches, so I figure that the knoking was the alternator kicking when the belt was passing on the pulley by splipping for a inche then kicking back. Part was 20$ and now no more knocking.

Misfire issue was a broken injector connector. I have no clue why the ECU didn't trow any code but happy to figured out this problem without spending 5k on it

Hope this will help so fellow around the net cause this was a PITA to find info about this problem.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Found an 04 s4 for cheap but seller is saying there is a knocking in the back left corner of the engine and an oil leak. Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2021, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know this was 10 years ago, but did you find the issue? I'm having a very similar issue with my 07 Audi Q7 4.2 FSI.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sschimke
I know this was 10 years ago, but did you find the issue? I'm having a very similar issue with my 07 Audi Q7 4.2 FSI.
I'd be interested myself as I've just struck this too! Parked for a few days then on startup a knocking noise from the left bank. I suspect power steering pump as you can feel the knocking through the steering but can't find anyone else that's had the same problem to confirm I'm on the right track as its not a 5 minute fix!
Mine is a 07 4.2 FSI Q7