S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Poor Performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Performance

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and hoping somebody can shed some light on my problem. (Before I try going to the dealer.)

Lead -up...
I was driving my 2004 Audi S4 (91k, Auto) on a back road a few days ago and had some jerk in a Honda CR-V behind me that was upset that I was only doing 10 over the speed limit. He decided to pass me on a two lane road and I thought "no you don't" so I put my foot to the floor. (Yeah I know, poor/unsafe judgment on my part.) Well the CR-V passed me without any problems.

For the past few months I kept thinking my car seems slower than I remember but I thought it was just my imagination. (When I own a car for a few years, I tend to get "used to" the feel of it.) So a family member and I went to a empty 4-lane highway and I drag raced my car and a 2003 Subaru Outback (4-cyl, 160k, Auto) from the stop light. I couldn't keep up with the Subaru. Now I'm really disappointed.

Other details...
I have no "Check Engine" light on and my generic OBD-II reader says that are no pending error codes or stored codes. I have noticed a dramatic decrease in fuel economy over the last few months. (I used to get 17-18 to work and 22-23 on highway, now I get 11 to work and cannot get past 18 on the highway.) Also, I have been slowly loosing coolant over the past month. (I have to put about a half-gallon in every month. I don't know where it's going, but it doesn't seem to be getting into the oil so I wasn't immediately worried about it. Maybe it's a sign of a bad head-gasket but I would think that would throw a code.)

I am hoping that the collective intelligence of this board may be able to shed some light on my dilemma before I have to take it to an expert or dealer. I can try and supply more information if needed.

I appreciate everyone's input on this issue.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, that is very unfortunate. The first thing i would check is the compression. I own a 2005.5 s4 with the 4.2L engine and it is plenty fast. If you are consuming coolant, you need to find out where it is going. The cooling system is a closed system and if it is leaking into one of the cylinders, this could get expensive (head gaskets and head work). Check the basics. Air, Fuel, Spark and compression. your car should do about a 5 second 0-60. By FAR blowing the doors off a CR-V. I'd start with the cheapest solutions. Do you know anyone who owns a VAG com cable? If so, check the O2 sensors and the fuel flow rates. Seems odd that there are no codes. could be a good thing though. Run some checks and let us know!